Kicks to the head when both are grounded should be ok

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Nobody see them as dirty or coward when the fighter on the bottom, already on a disadvantagious position, uses kicks to the head of the opponent top. Totally different from when a standing fighter kicks the head of a grounded one.

Also this rule change would make the guard more powerful and also reward who is good at passing.

Rules on the ground should be the same as standing. Kicks and knees to the head should both be legal on the ground. Standing submissions aren't illegal, neither should kneeing someone in the face because they put their knee on the canvas.

What Is it?

If fighter A is on the ground, on his back I believe, and a certain distance from the cage, the ref would say "Open Guard". Once Open Guard was called, fighter B was allowed to use soccer kicks, knees to the head and stomps. It was meant to prevent stalling on the ground, but I think it's a great compromise and a good solution to the current problem.

I agree they should be legal.I see a guy from ONE just got dq'd for doing that.If your trying to break my ankle/knee i should be able to kick you in the face for that lol

Absolutely. This would be a good start at least. I'm all for soccer kicks and the works but I'd settle for kicks while both are grounded as we transition back to better rules.

I would be satisfied if these 2 kicks were made legal.
X6z2ODV.gif

sg6HH46.gif

Although I agree, I know soccer kicks are too brutal for the average folk.

Average or not a full power kick from a standing position is brutal for the lifespan of the receiver. This has to be thought through a bit more in terms of sports entertainment and not just a blood match. I think making it allowed for two grounded opponents is a good start, as you don't have as much leverage.

That one rule change would totally change how the ground game works.

Imagine if GnP fighters like GSP or Sonnen had to deal with a guy who could kick like Silva every time they postured up from guard.

You would almost have to allow knees to the head of a grounded opponent to offset the disadvantage for the top fighter.

If fighter A is on the ground, on his back I believe, and a certain distance from the cage, the ref would say "Open Guard". Once Open Guard was called, fighter B was allowed to use soccer kicks, knees to the head and stomps. It was meant to prevent stalling on the ground, but I think it's a great compromise and a good solution to the current problem.

Yeah it seems like it would instantly stop guys from butt scooting, staying on one knee to avoid strikes

That one rule change would totally change how the ground game works.

Imagine if GnP fighters like GSP or Sonnen had to deal with a guy who could kick like Silva every time they postured up from guard.

You would almost have to allow knees to the head of a grounded opponent to offset the disadvantage for the top fighter.
Yes, it would reward who is good at passing the guard

People who want soccer kicks and stomps are whack jobs. Get a grip. Yo want knifes and baseball bats too ?

That being said knees to a grounded opponent should be legal. Keeping a hand on the ground to avoid being strikes in a bad position is stupid and we saw it the last few weeks.

People who want soccer kicks and stomps are whack jobs. Get a grip. Yo want knifes and baseball bats too ?

That being said knees to a grounded opponent should be legal. Keeping a hand on the ground to avoid being strikes in a bad position is stupid and we saw it the last few weeks.
Those who want knees to a grounded opponents must be a whack jobs. However soccer kicks and stomps are for the education mma fans and should be allowed!

Those who want knees to a grounded opponents must be a whack jobs. However soccer kicks and stomps are for the education mma fans and should be allowed!

Soccer kicks and stomps are far too violent. Concussion will be all over the place and fighters will be retiring way earlier than now.

As i said knee to a grounded opponent are fine tho because we need to stop the stalling that goes with the current rules

Yeah it seems like it would instantly stop guys from butt scooting, staying on one knee to avoid strikes

Two fights where you can see it happen...

Brad Pickett vs Ozzy Halluk
Zelg Galesic vs James Evans-Nicholle

And yeah it definitely eliminated butt scooting. Tt's not like guys were getting stomped out left and right but it 100% prevented stalling on the ground, which lets be honest, is the reason for legal soccer kicks / stomps to begin with. It makes the show more exciting. It's not the perfect rule either, there were some DQs in the beginning because it was a unique rule. Some fighters didn't fully understand that you have to wait on the ref to actually enact the open guard, this happened to Professor X in one of his fights.

Back