Hooker vs Gaethje

• Thread starter Deleted member 583968
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 583968

I know it's probably unlikely this fight happens anytime soon but I wanted to hear your predictions for this matchup.

For me, I think Hooker can beat Gaethje. I'm one of those people who disagree with Justin being cateogrized as an elite striker of the division. In my eyes, I often see Justin struggling to land his punches in the earlier rounds when his opponents are still quite fresh. Either he has to put his opponents in a clinch or wait until they slow down a little for him to start landing those heavy hands. There's lot of talk about his lethal leg kicks but it seems they always come at the price of his face getting brutalized and I always get the impression he throws those because he has trouble landing his punches. What I am saying is, I don't know if Justin is a bigger threat to Hooker than Chandler is, especially in those earlier rounds.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your opinion.

I know it's probably unlikely this fight happens anytime soon but I wanted to hear your predictions for this matchup.

For me, I think Hooker can beat Gaethje. I'm one of those people who disagree with Justin being cateogrized as an elite striker of the division. In my eyes, I often see Justin struggling to land his punches in the earlier rounds when his opponents are still quite fresh. Either he has to put his opponents in a clinch or wait until they slow down a little for him to start landing those heavy hands. There's lot of talk about his lethal leg kicks but it seems they always come at the price of his face getting brutalized and I always get the impression he throws those because he has trouble landing his punches. What I am saying is, I don't know if Justin is a bigger threat to Hooker than Chandler is, especially in those earlier rounds.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Everyone is saying Gaethje will break him. But even though he lost, Hooker went to war with Poirier winning the 1st 2 rounds. And I know MMATH doesn't work, but unless he's got no game plan for Gaethje's leg kicks, or the Poirier fight took his spirit, I could see Hooker giving Gaethje a serious challenge.

Hooker would lose to most top 15-20 LWs

Gaethje murders him

Hooker should not be dignified with even theoretical predictions with anyone in the top 5. Let him get to the back of the line.

Hooker should not be dignified with even theoretical predictions with anyone in the top 5. Let him get to the back of the line.
Disagree, I think he can beat Oliveira and Gaethje.

I still haven't given up on Hooker and I think he's better than most people seem to think he is. With that said I think Hooker showed some holes in Chandler game with the way he was easily able to land the outside low kick without much resistance from Chandler, Justin can seemingly land that same kick while presenting a larger KO threat with his boxing.

Now does the larger striking threat from Justin negate the fact that he might have the worst bottom game of any top 10 fighter in the UFC? I guess it depends on if Chandler can get past his TDD and get him down, so I tend to agree that Justin isn't too much of a harder matchup for Chandler overall, but it's clear that Justin certainly is more dangerous on the feet, even though I think he's very very beatable off his back, even moreso than Hooker.

Sorry, I don’t judge fighters strictly on their victories. I like to watch every single one of their fights, including their losses where their weaknesses are exploited. That's what I did for Justin Gaethje. I watched all his fights in the UFC. Gaethje will often resort to leg kicks or dive in body shots in the earlier rounds. Also, he's very hittable especially if his opponents can throw a quick jab.

Everyone is saying Gaethje will break him. But even though he lost, Hooker went to war with Poirier winning the 1st 2 rounds. And I know MMATH doesn't work, but unless he's got no game plan for Gaethje's leg kicks, or the Poirier fight took his spirit, I could see Hooker giving Gaethje a serious challenge.
I do think Hooker could challenge Gaethje. However with Dustin vs Hooker, Dustin had come out of hip surgery and a relatively long lay off (at least in terms of his fighting activity, as Dustin usually fights multiple times a year but only fought once in 2020 due to the surgery).
Also, we can do MMATH with Justin/Hooker's performances against Barboza.

Hooker would lose to most top 15-20 LWs

Gaethje murders him
You're out of your mind.

I think this would be a really good fight and I hope it's made in the near future. I'll favor Gaethje, but Hooker is a very live dog. I'd put Gaethje as a -140.

Disagree, I think he can beat Oliveira and Gaethje.
Any lightweight in the top 10 can beat any other one on any given day, the question is how many chances should Hooker get? He’s had two big fights already and lost them both. Other guys in the division deserve those chances. Hooker should go back and build himself back up with lower competition, he does not deserve to fight the top guys as his next fight.

Gaethje by not being a punching bag anymore, having said that, its a bit too high for Hooker after 2 defeats, buuuuut, Gaethje is sort of leftout here, i'd watch in a heartbeat, make it a 5 rounder tho.

Any lightweight in the top 10 can beat any other one on any given day, the question is how many chances should Hooker get? He’s had two big fights already and lost them both. Other guys in the division deserve those chances. Hooker should go back and build himself back up with lower competition, he does not deserve to fight the top guys as his next fight.
And Gaethje hasn't?

Hooker should not be dignified with even theoretical predictions with anyone in the top 5. Let him get to the back of the line.[/Q]
You must have missed him beating up Dustin for 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Back