Is Stipe too old for Francis

TJ Dillashank

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Stipe looked pretty slow in his last fight against Cormier and is 38 years old. His reflexes won't be the same as they were in the first Ngannou fight and might have trouble with his head movement. And thats never a good thing against the hardest puncher in the world.

Who have you guys got? I have Ngannou but I wouldn't be surprised if Stipe wins the same way.

Never older, never smaller.
If Francis cant get it done now...that means he couldnt beat ANY version of Stipe.

People will say no but yes he past his prime and DC cracked his chin, Ngannou will destroy him easily

Francis has a punchers chance. A huge one though. Other than that Stipe got this.

Stipe only has to withstand the initial onslaught. Francis is scary, but he’s a one trick pony.

Stipe isn’t great at anything, but he’s crafty and experienced. That matters.

It's quite possible that Stipe has lost just enough speed that what would have been a successful duck in the 1st fight is a moving his face into the punch in the 2nd. But don't bury Stipe just yet. Even a 40+ round-bellied DC was freaky fast for a heavyweight and a hell of lot more cunning than Francis, and I think that made people perceive Stipe being slower than he actually was by comparison.

Stipe loving being the Dog again. If he wins he better get some respect..

According to sherbro, Francis is 45 so no excuse.

Stipe only has to withstand the initial onslaught. Francis is scary, but he’s a one trick pony.

Stipe isn’t great at anything, but he’s crafty and experienced. That matters.
Stipe can knock francis out too, he doesnt have to withstand shit

Francis just needs to coast the first round and maybe half the second, then unleash

I think Stipe gets it done yet again. Francis is prone to gassing and not overly technical. He is often wild, but hits like a truck. Stipe needs to stick and move and get the TD's to wear down his opponent. Look to win rounds along the way. Once Francis gets tired, mix-up the boxing and wrestling with some calf kicks. I would look for an RNC in the later rounds and as Francis works his way to get up while tired, attack the neck and squeeze. Cormier did the RNC twice vs. heavily muscled big puncher Rumble Johnson. Ngannou's primary weakness is cardio...bleed the gas tank dry...

Stipe is 38, so win or lose, I would like to see him retire after this fight. MMA is not for old people especially in the upper weight classes where that big power lives. Father Time is a cruel bastard who is undefeated...he comes for everyone...unavoidable...

Stipe literally dodged some bullets the first fight (with beautiful head movement). If he lacks the speed from the first fight Francis wil KO stipe in the first round and make it look easy. If Stipe can weather the storm and tire Francis, he can do the same as in the first fight and win a unanimous decision, even a TKO maybe. Still a 50/50 fight for me.

Stipe looks to be in great shape as of late. Ngannou's cardio is still a red flag, we don't know if it has improved and by how much. Has it improved enough to withstand Stipe's wrestling over 5 rounds? Doubt it. Will he start to gas in the middle of the 2nd round, probably.

I have Stipe by DEC again, I think Ngannou is very tough to finish and Stipe is not going to take too many risks with Ngannou.

Jan looked great at 38, different guys but still noteworthy

Back