Are we overlooking Jan's kicking game?

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He's clearly slower and less skilled than Izzy with the hands, but he has great kicks, especially body kicks, they're fast and powerful, perhaps it's his key to victory, kicking, takedowns, clinching. I heard they're in the small octagon as well.

Numbers wise they have the same leg reach too. (Old photos.)

k632u4Z.png

He's clearly slower and less skilled than Izzy with the hands, but he has great kicks, especially body kicks, they're fast and powerful, perhaps it's his key to victory, kicking, takedowns, clinching. I heard they're in the small octagon as well.

Numbers wise they have the same leg reach too. (Old photos.)

k632u4Z.png
His kicks are strong and can be a factor in the fight. It was a factor in the Reyes fight.

Izzy is a world class kickboxer. Jan’s kicks is nothing he has not seen or felt before

So that would be a Yes haha.

Even though I'm inclined to agree with the overall sentiment that Jan won't show him something he hasn't seen before, I'm STILL not ruling out Jan or sleeping on him.

No, not really.

Jan has good kicks, but he's facing the best striker in the UFC. Jan needs to grapple.

Yeah, Jan is no slouch.

He's particularly good at checking kicks, which is a big advantage against Israel.

Jano should intelligently pressure him, get into clinch, land some shots up close, don't ever box with Israel in the distance cuz he will get outclassed that way. Clinch work and takedowns are the only ways Jan can win this fight imo, but i don't see him doing it. If they fought 10 times Jan wins once, maybe twice.

I think everyone is overlooking his grappling game. Jan is a legit BJJ BB and he's going to have a significant size advantage. Everyone seems fixated on the striking match up, but if Jan is smart he takes Izzy down and dominates him on the mat. The grappling HEAVILY favors him, pun fully intended.

Yes most people are. Jan is bigger, stronger and more well rounded, and Izzy is going to be locked in a small cage with him.

It's really going to boil down to how Izzy deals with combos and Jan cutting off the cage. Jan throws that body kick at the end of combos or when his opponent tries to slide out to the side along the cage. Hit and run, and circling out is a big part of Izzy's game. Also, Jan can throw that body kick with almost no fear of the takedown.

Izzy is the favorite, because he's fast, rangy, and nimble out there but even one of two of those body kicks can take that speed an manuverability away from him. Also worth noting that Izzy frequently keeps a low guard.

BitterCapitalIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

akcja_prawy_kop.gif

He does throw his kicks off counters or forward pressure. He hides them well behind those without exposing himself to much to counters at this point in his career. Not always impressive looking but they dd their intended purpose vs Reyes. However, Izzys distance management and small pivots will negate these I believe.

Jan is no slouch but Israel's destiny is to chase 3 belts and then challenge Jones in a showdown for the title of the Undisputed GOAT of GOAT's
neither israel nor jones will fight stipe because stipe is the king of the UFC

Izzy is a world class kickboxer. Jan’s kicks is nothing he has not seen or felt before

Izzy is more skilled in overall striking which is why I see him picking Jan apart really well. However, Jan is up there. In Europe, they have great striking coaches. Izzy Mentioned that, like in Holland, he said they Just do things that others do not do. On another level. Makes sense, like Bas Rutten's striking was good and look at K-1 fighters and the People in Holland in their striking. He is in Poland so not sure who he gets his striking from but I am sure they are well aware of the resources they have by living in Europe.

Jan is slower, but powerful, and his kicks are fast enough to make him fast enough in that mid to outer range. In other words, Jan has a good range with Izzy in that mid to outer range. Between not wanting jan to land a punch and avoiding Jans mid to outer range kicks should prove to be a challenge.

The list of Izzy strengths show he is more skilled. But sometimes one can be more skilled but be out performed. Like Tyson said, all your plans go out the roof once your getting punched in the face. I really don't know how this is going to go but I expect Izzy switching it up between mid to close range and doing those calf kicks on Jan. But escaping certain spots might prove to fail. In reading between the lines, Jan thinks he will land a Head kick on Izzy when he is moving out that mid range from him. I get the feeling Jan thinks if Izzy circles him or tries to move away he can land a kick easily on him. ...thats what he thinks?

...this fight is very good...I have no idea but my gut says Izzy by technically picking him apart ...I believe in speed over power. Izzy has had problems with Jan size type fighters but his striking is so crisp and perfect that I see him picking Jan apart. But I will never sleep on Jan...Jan is a beast...I dont know...my honest answer is I do not know..they look like they both pose problems to each other...that are equally scary to both...no one really having the upper hand. But...who knows ...lets see what happens during the fight?

Those nasty body kicks could come in handy if Izzy keeps doing in and outs, then circles away. But he's a master of the striking game, and probably is prepared for this specific strike that turned Reyes' midsection into raw hamburger meat.

But make no mistake, Jan will lose this fight if he decides to stand and trade with Izzy. And he can't run forward throwing hands like he does quite a bit. If that allowed Thiago Santos to counter and KO him, we all know Izzy will do exactly the same, probably faster.

Jan needs to mix things up, kick the legs, kick the body, avoid the counters and use those rare opportunities when Izzy is closing the distance to clinch, push Izzy against the cage and use his strength and weight advantage as he should.

I think this fight has the potential to be a snoozefest, with Jan hesitating to move forward, and waiting for Izzy to engage, and Izzy being comfortable playing it safe, waiting for opportunities that just won't show up much. We'll see, but the outcome of this fight in my mind tis either Jan trying to decision Izzy or it's Izzy scoring a KO.

I would love to see Jan win (I love to see overachievers and underdogs get their hand raised), but I like Izzy too, so I just hope this is a good fight, not a snoozefest.

He's particularly good at checking kicks, which is a big advantage against Israel.
That actually is a really good point. Izzy has no issues staying on the outside and blasting legkicks, esp. against opponents with power. Jan has shown great checks before (Rockhold fight comes to mind). If Jan can check the first few legkicks, he will force Adesanya to approach the fight differently (assuming thats the gameplan), and might have Izzy take more risks. Man I cant wait for this fight, purely for the strategy of both fighters. This is one of those fights were you're not too sure what to expect but are excited to see what gameplan both fighters have going in and how they both will be forced to adjust.

That actually is a really good point. Izzy has no issues staying on the outside and blasting legkicks, esp. against opponents with power. Jan has shown great checks before (Rockhold fight comes to mind). If Jan can check the first few legkicks, he will force Adesanya to approach the fight differently (assuming thats the gameplan), and might have Izzy take more risks. Man I cant wait for this fight, purely for the strategy of both fighters. This is one of those fights were you're not too sure what to expect but are excited to see what gameplan both fighters have going in and how they both will be forced to adjust.
I agree bro!
<RomeroSalute>

He’s gonna have throw a multitude of things at Izzy and not show him any rhythms whatsoever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back