Top 10 Prospects derailment of all time

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Who are the top 10 prospects that didn't turn out the way you thought?

1. King Mo

In my opinion, the best freestyle offensive wrestler that MMA has ever seen. Had them hands, tore it up in Sengoku, thought he was the next big thing, but then he got backfisted by Newton and he was never the same.

2. Satoshi Ishii

I love me some Judo, and this guy was a Judo Gold medalist at 22. Took MMA seriously. For whatever reason he thought it was good idea to debut against Yoshida, a Judo gold medalist, then pick a fight against Fedor, Russian Judo Olympic team member, very early in his career. His career really didn't go anywhere unfortunately.

3. Will Brooks

Pushed Kitaoka's shit in in Sengoku, just blew my mind, nobody knew him, but holy God, and then eventually beat Chandler TWICE. But his career in the UFC wasn't very long and his career faded...

4. Maximo Blanco

Wrestled Saitiev in freestyle, and looked like this guy was just dynamic on the feet to go with his wrestling background, with knock out power. Really looked forward to his career but it just didn't pan out unfortunately.

4. Aaron Pico

Was hyped as the best prospect of all time. Almost made the USA freestyle olympic team, went to the final match against the guy who made the team. Then he thought he was a boxer then got his chin cracked, and now being turned into a wrestler down at JAckson's I think. Not sure if he can ever come back from those brutal finishes.

5. Doo Ho Choi

A rare MMA fighter with streetfighting background who made it to pretty high level MMA, with rare one punch knock out power at lower weight classes. (I've been following Masvidal since his Sengoku days, and this guy was a much much much better prospect than Mas-bum-dal ever ever since I'm sure some will bring that guy up here with streefighting). Then he ran into a couple losses, and not sure what he's doing anymore. He's not in military or anything either.

6. Hatsu Hioki

Looked really good beating Sandro and all. Looked like he could make some noise in the UFC. But then once again, his career in the UFC didn't go very well. It prob didn't help that he ran into Lamas, Guida(possibly got robbed), Elkins, Oliveira, and Hooker.

7. Jamie Varner

I guess it's debatable whether Varner can be considered a prospect derailment or not, but I was really high on Varner, but he found a way to lose at times and he retired from MMA early. I put him here just because I was really high on this guy. Good boxing, good wrestling, heart and toughness, what's not to like.

8. JZ Cavalcante

Looked like this guy was going to be the next Brazilian who was going to contest for the top spot at lightweight, but he never made it to the UFC after everything said and done, though at his prime, he was prob better than many guys who just made it to the UFC.

9. Johnny Hendricks

This can be debatable like Varner whether he should be 'prospect' derailed, but I'm going to put him here. I loved Hendricks as a wrestler before he transitioned into MMA, one of the wrestlers who I had my eyes on like Cejudo, Cormier, those high level wrestlers who got into MMA. He got robbed against Lawler, and then only at the age of 31 he would go onto record of 2-6 and then not around no more. He's clearly a better wrestler than Usman and Covington, had cardio to match in his prime, and clearly better striker than those two combined.

10. Minakov

Undefeated at heavyweight for 10+ years. Then got robbed against Kongo. Inactivity hurt him lots I think. He's too old I think to make an impact. Only high level Sports Sambo guy who I think made it in MMA. Super high Sports Sambo credentials, best ever in MMA.

Last edited:
Agapova, Shabhazyan, arguably O'Malley, Chase Hooper, Kron Gracie, Sage Northcutt, Rodolfo Vieira.

Hendricks, Varner, Hioki and Brooks really shouldn't be on the list. The guy who mentioned Soko is on point. Good thread, though.

I thought Doo-Ho Choi was gonna be the shit in 2016 .. Kind of gutted about him really.. Can't believe that Cub fight was so long ago!

DecisiveDrearyEland-size_restricted.gif

Satoshi Ishii is the most boring fighter I've ever seen in my life.

Rodolfo Viera got fucking submitted. Maybe he can come back but if you know who Viera is, and the hype he came in with, it's just fucking crazy, lol. The betting odds alone show that this may be the best example.

RodolfoViera-1-e1583615086528.jpg

SoggyQuarterlyAdder-size_restricted.gif

Hendricks, Varner, Hioki and Brooks really shouldn't be on the list. The guy who mentioned Soko is on point. Good thread, though.

It's a good thread idea but TS' list makes no fucking sense at all. Not sure if he knows what a prospect is. So many things I could say, but King Mo #1? "he got KO'd by Newton and was never the same" ????????

upload_2021-3-4_0-22-35.png

Who are the top 10 prospects that didn't turn out the way you thought?

1. King Mo

In my opinion, the best freestyle offensive wrestler that MMA has ever seen. Had them hands, tore it up in Sengoku, thought he was the next big thing, but then he got backfisted by Newton and he was never the same.

2. Satoshi Ishii

I love me some Judo, and this guy was a Judo Gold medalist at 22. Took MMA seriously. For whatever reason he thought it was good idea to debut against Yoshida, a Judo gold medalist, then pick a fight against Fedor, Russian Judo Olympic team member, very early in his career. His career really didn't go anywhere unfortunately.

3. Will Brooks

Pushed Kitaoka's shit in in Sengoku, just blew my mind, nobody knew him, but holy God, and then eventually beat Chandler TWICE. But his career in the UFC wasn't very long and his career faded...

4. Maximo Blanco

Wrestled Saitiev in freestyle, and looked like this guy was just dynamic on the feet to go with his wrestling background, with knock out power. Really looked forward to his career but it just didn't pan out unfortunately.

4. Aaron Pico

Was hyped as the best prospect of all time. Almost made the USA freestyle olympic team, went to the final match against the guy who made the team. Then he thought he was a boxer then got his chin cracked, and now being turned into a wrestler down at JAckson's I think. Not sure if he can ever come back from those brutal finishes.

5. Doo Ho Choi

A rare MMA fighter with streetfighting background who made it to pretty high level MMA, with rare one punch knock out power at lower weight classes. (I've been following Masvidal since his Sengoku days, and this guy was a much much much better prospect than Mas-bum-dal ever ever since I'm sure some will bring that guy up here with streefighting). Then he ran into a couple losses, and not sure what he's doing anymore. He's not in military or anything either.

6. Hatsu Hioki

Looked really good beating Sandro and all. Looked like he could make some noise in the UFC. But then once again, his career in the UFC didn't go very well. It prob didn't help that he ran into Lamas, Guida(possibly got robbed), Elkins, Oliveira, and Hooker.

7. Jamie Varner

I guess it's debatable whether Varner can be considered a prospect derailment or not, but I was really high on Varner, but he found a way to lose at times and he retired from MMA early. I put him here just because I was really high on this guy. Good boxing, good wrestling, heart and toughness, what's not to like.

8. JZ Cavalcante

Looked like this guy was going to be the next Brazilian who was going to contest for the top spot at lightweight, but he never made it to the UFC after everything said and done, though at his prime, he was prob better than many guys who just made it to the UFC.

9. Johnny Hendricks

This can be debatable like Varner whether he should be 'prospect' derailed, but I'm going to put him here. I loved Hendricks as a wrestler before he transitioned into MMA, one of the wrestlers who I had my eyes on like Cejudo, Cormier, those high level wrestlers who got into MMA. He got robbed against Lawler, and then only at the age of 31 he would go onto record of 2-6 and then not around no more. He's clearly a better wrestler than Usman and Covington, had cardio to match in his prime, and clearly better striker than those two combined.

10. Eric Silva

Considering some of the people you've listed, Brandon Vera should be on there.

You also have two number 4's.

you just listed guys from last year.

Pointless response lol. Northucutt and Gracie are from last year... aight then. Not sure what timeline you're living in. But of course that the first ones that come to my mind are recent ones. Listing Hendricks and King Mo doesn't make sense anyway. King Mo was a SF champion, not a prospect. Hendricks fought for the belt after a long win streak, not a prospect.

Edit: Also Brandon Thatch.

Last edited:
Back