Jan fighting MW champ for his first title defense is stupidity

ehxsur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I could understand that fight if he cleaned his division or at least foughts few legit LHW challengers like the top 1,2 or 3 but come one who begin an era as a champ with a superfight?

It's more logical in Izzy side, he cleaned his division or at least he beat all the best ranked guys in MW

Don't get me wrong i cant wait to see that fight but if you are logic it make no sense for Jan

BTW he have everything to loose and less to gain, if he loose he loose his belt against a shorter skinnier opponent, if he win he "just" beat a champ for a lower division with no new belt for him

Discuss

Last edited:
The timing makes sense to me with Jones moving up. The UFC wants an undefeated double champ and this is the best opportunity they have.

I could understand that fight if he cleaned his division or at least foughts few legit LHW challengers like the top 1,2 or 3 but come one who begin an era as a champ with a superfight?

It's more logical in Izzy side, he cleaned his division or at least he beat all the best ranked guys in MW

Don't get me wrong i cant wait to see that fight but if you are logic it make no sense for Jan

BTW he have everything to loose and less to gain, if he loose he loose his belt against a shorter skinnier opponent, if he win he "just" beat a champ for a lower division

Discuss

The idea is if Jan can beat a fan favorite like Isreal it will earn him credibility among fans and raise his stock tremendously.

But if he fails the UFC has new high drawing LHW champ in Stylebender

This fight is about raising the profile of LHW division

I think it makes perfect sense to man's nearly 40 years old and has nearly no time left on his career how about we let the man make some money so he can retire. He's already accomplished more then anybody thought he would ever do
Not to mention he's the second oldest person to win the light heavyweight title. Behind Randy Couture.

The UFC doesn't see Jan as anything more than a transitional champion.

The biggest non Conor/Khabib fight they can make right now is Jones vs Izzy for the HW strap. Izzy trying to become the first 3 division champion in UFC history.

If Adesanya win the LHW championship He would be achieved something than Jones could not achieve already, the double champ status

Izzy should be fighting Jones. If JJ wins then he faces the winner of Stipe vs Ngannou.

The UFC doesn't see Jan as anything more than a transitional champion.

The biggest non Conor/Khabib fight they can make right now is Jones vs Izzy for the HW strap. Izzy trying to become the first 3 division champion in UFC history.

lmao I hope no one actually thinks Izzy is going to go up and fight at HW.

This is a win/win for the UFC, a win/draw for Izzy, and a win/lose for Jan.

UFC: If Izzy wins, you now have a highly marketable undefeated double champ. If Jan wins, it helps with Jan's name recognition to drive future sales.

Izzy: If Izzy wins, he's the double champ. He cleaned out the MW division and went up to snatch the belt from a fucking gorilla.

Jan: If Jan wins, it gives him some name recognition and a boost in popularity, especially with a dramatic knockout. If he loses, well... shit out of luck. Lost to the smaller guy, lost your belt, move to the back of the line.

This fight is dumb for Jan but works for everyone else.

Jan is probably getting the big dollars for this fight. Who would be fight anyways, Glover? Johnny Walker?

Not quite as bad as Conor moving up to fight Alvarez after 0 defenses for either party or Bisping defending against GSP after barely defeating old man Hendo.
At least at LHW there truly is a rift and a dominant champ is moving up to challenge

Jan is on the wrong side of 30 and could be getting a solid pay day. Good for him

This is a win/win for the UFC, a win/draw for Izzy, and a win/lose for Jan.

UFC: If Izzy wins, you now have a highly marketable undefeated double champ. If Jan wins, it helps with Jan's name recognition to drive future sales.

Izzy: If Izzy wins, he's the double champ. He cleaned out the MW division and went up to snatch the belt from a fucking gorilla.

Jan: If Jan wins, it gives him some name recognition and a boost in popularity, especially with a dramatic knockout. If he loses, well... shit out of luck. Lost to the smaller guy, lost your belt, move to the back of the line.

This fight is dumb for Jan but works for everyone else.
Did you just call Jan a gorilla?

I don't like it from a Divisional or Title perspective...

But it's too late now...

Great fight for Jan. He's old and he can make retirement money for a nights work. If he loses he lost to a great fighter, and there is no guarantee he'd win against any of the top LHW contenders anyway, (and for far less money). If he wins though, he gets another huge payday and his legacy is solidified.

Last edited:
Back