Sold out and became a millionaire
Says he's coming back
Probably wont come back
Hell of an analyst
Even better troll

Last edited:
"If you cannot tell the difference between a game plan and a mistake...."

His point has merit.

Mostly likely they bought into their own hype and didn't come in with a game plan. And it showed. And sucks to be them. No wonder they want a rematch.

The dude is an excellent fighter, with unique talent and power.

But he’s just NOWHERE near as good as people pretend he is, and he crumbles in the face of adversity.

No need for excuses or deep explanations.

It’s all right there on there surface.

Everyone was saying his gameplan was wrong anyways. What's the difference? The idea behind baiting a southpaw instead of an orthodox might be true but changing stances for that reason was false and it was proven to be false.

Besides, McGregor even said before the Cerrone fight that he changed his stance and fighting style and he's using more boxing type of approach. And before this fight he said he trained for Poirier and Pacqiao in the same time, focused on his boxing with his old boxing coach, sparred boxers not mma fighters etc. because Manny fight was almost done.

Hardy is the guy that think a left hand finished Cerrone not the head kick or shoulders. Because he said McGregor was just a left hand and he didn't want to eat shit. For this fight everyone knew leg kicks would be a problem for McGregor since they were both southpaw and McGregor had always been heavy on the front leg with a wide stance.

I will disagree with him. He fought Poirier before. He fought him long. The same long karate-type stance with the in and out movement has been a constant. It lets him backstep out of danger and counter hard. The hard counter is what made him dual champ. Or to get full extension to his long left and kicks to land offensively as his opponent circles close to the cage. He did this to Siver, for example.

The compact boxing stance takes those tools away, and puts more weight on his front foot, so not checking kicks has bigger impact. This was a big factor. His own kicks are from closer range, closer to danger, so less free. More blocking is required as he can't use his legs for boxing defense the same way. Conor has never been particularly good at blocking punches. The left isn't as hard, no full extension as the spring comes from his legs.

But the jab gets more pop. Conor has never been a volume jabber, though. With this stance it's a power punch. 3 good ones tops landed. I counted 1. Before he used the lead hand to paw for distance and to disguise the left hammer.

I do agree with Hardy in general that if a plan doesn't work it doesn't mean the idea was incorrect. But here it was. It didn't work. The other style would've been better as Poirier leans forward and plants the legs with his style.

I think the biggest takeaway from this fight to Conor going forward is if he's stubborn enough to still go with this, try to fix the errors that came with it. Or does he go back to a style that made him one best strikers in the UFC. This version is just good at best. And he's likely 33 in his next fight, as a LW.

Last edited:
Dan Hardy.

Whiteboy Ninja
Hallucinogen enthusiast
Cucked Khalil Rountree
Upset Herb Dean
Went 5 rounds with GSP
Didnt manage 1 round vs Carlos Condit
Used to be friends with Paul Daley
Sold out and became a millionaire
Says he's coming back
Probably wont come back
Hell of an analyst
Even better troll
And ducked Mickey Gall.

I will disagree with him. He fought Poirier before. He fought him long. The same long karate-type stance with the in and out movement has been a constant. It lets him backstep out of danger and counter hard. The hard counter is what made him dual champ. Or to get full extension to his long left and kicks to land offensively as his opponent circles close to the cage. He did this to Siver, for example.

The compact boxing stance takes those tools away, and puts more weight on his front foot, so not checking kicks has bigger impact. This was a big factor. His own kicks are from closer range, closer to danger, so less free. More blocking is required as he can't use his legs for boxing defense the same way. Conor has never been particularly good at blocking punches. The left isn't as hard, no full extension as the spring comes from his legs.

But the jab gets more pop. Conor has never been a volume jabber, though. With this stance it's a power punch. 3 good ones tops landed. Before he used the lead hand to paw for distance and to disguise the left hammer.

I do agree with Hardy in general that if a plan doesn't work it doesn't mean the idea was incorrect. But here it was. It didn't work. The other style would've been better as Poirier leans forward and plants the legs with his style.

I think the biggest takeaway from this fight to Conor going forward is if he's stubborn enough to still go with this, try to fix the errors that came with it. Or does he go back to a style that made him one best strikers in the UFC. This version is just good at best.
Props

Look I can respect Dan Hardy’s insight into the sport for being a former UFC title competitor.

But,
He’s that hipster in the room who always trying to sound the most knowledgeable by over explaining EVERYTHING.
He tries and uses a lot of cool jargon and lingo, but really we have to remember that Hardy was never that great of a fighter, nor the smartest.

Dustin brought something new to the rematch and his team had an amazing game plan.
Conor was head-hunting like we expected and made no adjustments mid-fight.

The dude is an excellent fighter, with unique talent and power.

But he’s just NOWHERE near as good as people pretend he is, and he crumbles in the face of adversity.

No need for excuses or deep explanations.

It’s all right there on there surface.

That's the gist of it yes, he is simply not the fighter everyone thought he was. He is a total scrub? No, you couldn't achieve his record without some legit ability.

But let's just say he was very, very lucky, his career couldn't have been luckier. He was huge for 145, had favourable matchups, and his success was magnified by his ability to wind people up and make them shook (Alvarez, Poirier) or fight like idiots (Aldo).

I would disagree with your power statement though. He had power at 145, largely thanks to huge size advantage, but even then the success of his left hand is mainly down to reach and timing.

He was never the explosive lights out puncher he was made out to be, and at 155 that's more evident than ever. His power is merely average in this division.

It amazed me how people people picked him over Poirier and that Dustin was a 3 to 1 underdog. We're talking about someone who got stomped in 2 rounds by Nate Diaz ffs, a borderline gatekeeper/journeyman, someone not even close to Poirier's overall ability.

I firmly believe if Conman fights more regularly at 155 against top 10 opponents he'll be a .500 fighter at best in this divison. He was Poirier's easiest fight for a while.

N0CF9i7.gif

ezgif-2-ba364f466553.gif

Back