Rumored Which fighter epitomizes the classic prize fighter?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The prize fighter is an archetype as old as combat sports. Some fighters fight for legacy. Some fight to prove they're the best. Some simply love fighting. Some fight because there's nothing else they can do. Others fight for the prize. They are prize fighters. These fighters get in, get rich, and get out. Many fighters have tried to do this but they are still fighting. Jake Paul and Logan Paul are making stacks of money. Logan Paul vs KSI sold 1.3 million PPVs at $20 each for $27 million to split between them. Jake Paul vs Ben Askren by all indications is going to sell just as much. Watch them fight Floyd for the ultimate prize. Get in, get rich, get out. They're fighting for the prize, and in my opinion are the age old classic archetype of the prize fighter.

Last edited:
All because of one stupid quote from 24/7, people think prizefighting means being a greedy asshole.

Conor for sure, this man took the early Floyd approach in his marketing strategy to get rich. Arguably GSP, he had mentioned he didn't like anything about fighting, the feeling or the lead up. But it gave him a lifestyle he could enjoy. Bit of a stretch but looked at with a different perspective.

I don't believe that about GSP for a second. I think that he had anxiety issues which bothered him, and maybe he blamed fighting. But I think if he never fought that he'd just be an anxious garbage man. GSP to me clearly loved fighting even if he doesn't know it.

Nate Diaz now in the latter stage of his career

The prize fighter is an archetype as old as combat sports. Some fighters fight for legacy. Some fight to prove they're the best. Some simply love fighting. Some fight because there's nothing else they can do. Others fight for the prize. They are prize fighters. These fighters get in, get rich, and get out. Many fighters have tried to do this but they are still fighting. Jake Paul and Logan Paul are making stacks of money. Logan Paul vs KSI sold 1.3 million PPVs at $20 each for $27 million to split between them. Jake Paul vs Ben Askren by all indications is going to sell just as much. Watch them fight Floyd for the ultimate prize. Get in, get rich, get out. They're fighting for the prize, and in my opinion are the age old classic archetype of the prize fighter.

I'd say Stipe qualifies as a prototypical prize fighter.

He's all business, doesn't talk shit, has a full time career that he maintains and will go back to once he retires. He's in MMA to win and make money and then when he retires unlike most of the other fighters that "retire" like DC or Cejudo etc he will step off the public stage permanently.

Jorge is the first guy that comes to my mind when I hear "Prize Fighter".

I don't believe that about GSP for a second. I think that he had anxiety issues which bothered him, and maybe he blamed fighting. But I think if he never fought that he'd just be an anxious garbage man. GSP to me clearly loved fighting even if he doesn't know it.
He does a good job of explaining it in the Bisping podcast. Said he loved the training, loved being the best, being a winner, and eventually, getting the fame, the girls, the money, but at the end of the day, the time he spent in the cage he hated.

Likely because he had so much anxiety problems and was afraid of what people would think of him if he lost, and how that would affect his career, etc.

He is not a true "fighter", def an athlete who fought better than most "fighters"

Good thing you know more than the man himself who explicitly said he doesn't like fighting but ok buddy.

Good thing you know more than the man himself who explicitly said he doesn't like fighting but ok buddy.
GSP always said he doesn't like the lead up to the fights because he's is thinking about what happens if he loses. He always said the closer he gets to the cage he gets more confident and once he's inside the anxiety is gone. He likes to fight, you can see it when he's fighting. He doesn't like losing and that's what scares him. I feel like he gets confident inside the cage because that's when he sees his opponent and he gets into a fighting mentality instead of a worry mentality he has during the prefight stuff.

It's a love hate thing. Loves the training,hates the actual fight part. Many are the opposite.

Literal historian here (in combat sports, no less). The "age old archetype" of a prize fighter is almost the exact opposite of what you're saying it is. Historically and trans-nationally (with few exceptions) prize fighters are lifers: they fight, they get some money, and either have to, or sometimes choose to, keep fighting to keep bringing home the bread and keep (increasing) their social status/value. Millionaire prima donna playboys are for the most part a very recent phenomenon, and have always been the exception.

I rate this OP 10/10 millennials.

Back