UFC Commentary anomaly regarding pronunciation of French vs Spanish names

FIGHTING TALK

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When a fighter with a Spanish name is mentioned during UFC commentary, the commentary team always use Spanish pronunciation.
However, whenever they mention a French name they use American/English pronunciation.

Neither Georges St Pierre nor Jorge Masvidal’s first name should be pronounced “George”, yet it almost always is pronounced the American/British way with St Pierre, yet never with Masvidal, with whom they always use the Spanish/Mexican pronouciation.

Neither David Loiseau nor Patrick Cote had their names pronounced in a French way either. Yet it seems like all the Mexican and Mexican-American/Latino fighters always have their names translated and pronounced the Spanish way.

What gives?

When a fighter with a Spanish name is mentioned during UFC commentary, the commentary team always use Spanish pronunciation.
However, whenever they mention a French name they use American/English pronunciation.

Neither Georges St Pierre nor Jorge Masvidal’s first name should be pronounced “George”, yet it almost always is pronounced the American/British way with St Pierre, yet never with Masvidal, with whom they always use the Spanish/Mexican pronouciation.

Neither David Loiseau nor Patrick Cote had their names pronounced in a French way either. Yet it seems like all the Mexican and Mexican-American/Latino fighters always have their names translated and pronounced the Spanish way.

What gives?
Pretty much the ufc doesnt give a F how your name is pronounced until you have some recognition. Ask Cain Velesquez and Stipe

Look at a map. Mexico is our (USA's) neighbor. Closest country to the UFC headquarter. Lots of exposure to spanish speakers will do that to you.

IUYk99.gif

They never say hor-heh for Jorge Masvidal

The French descendants in America don't keep their heritage - at least not in a big way. There are a lot of first and second generation Latino Americans in America so there's an active culture that's not as Americanized. I don't believe in the "cultural appropriation" bullshit, but a lot of Americans do know or pretend to know Latin culture so we hear waaaay more Latin pronunciations than French. Plus, French has a million silent letters. Nobody has time to learn that.

Also, have you heard them try Brazilian names? Listen to Jon Anik pronounce Moraes. He loves saying it. Mo-dice is how it comes out of his mouth.

and what is the correct way to pronounce Patrick Cote or David Louisau?
The emphasis is on the ending of the words moreso in French.

Patrick would be pronounce Pad-reek, almost. Or Pat-reek (I am not even sure)
David would be pronounced Dah-veed. As opposed to Day-vid.

The emphasis is on the ending of the words moreso in French.

Patrick would be pronounce Pad-reek, almost. Or Pat-reek (I am not even sure)
David would be pronounced Dah-veed. As opposed to Day-vid.

it would probably more like pah-t-rick and dah-vid

the biggerr issue would be the last names

its not co-tay and lou-ah-so

The French descendants in America don't keep their heritage - at least not in a big way. There are a lot of first and second generation Latino Americans in America so there's an active culture that's not as Americanized. I don't believe in the "cultural appropriation" bullshit, but a lot of Americans do know or pretend to know Latin culture so we hear waaaay more Latin pronunciations than French. Plus, French has a million silent letters. Nobody has time to learn that.

Also, have you heard them try Brazilian names? Listen to Jon Anik pronounce Moraes. He loves saying it. Mo-dice is how it comes out of his mouth.

Lol I was just gonna say about Anik and his Portuguese. Hee-baas (Ribas) this weekend was nice.

Lol I was just gonna say about Anik and his Portuguese. Hee-baas (Ribas) this weekend was nice.
A lot of brazilians have spanish, italian or german names. The name Ribas is spanish, not portuguese.

A lot of brazilians have spanish, italian or german names. The name Ribas is spanish, not portuguese.
Ok? That doesn’t change the fact that Amanda Ribas is from Brazil and that’s how Anik pronounces her name? It is also similar to how someone who speaks Portuguese would pronounce it. I was just making fun of Anik, I don’t know why you reply to me like I don’t know that all countries have people from different countries living there. Like that’s news to anyone?

French is hard on the English tongue. Although the way they say Cyril “Bon Gamin” Gane annoys me, learn the man’s name.

And trust me as someone who knows the true pronunciation of the Spanish names they have a heavy American accent

Last edited:
I don't think its a Spanish/French thing, just names in general. Hell if we look at Italian names, sometimes I wonder if the Italian American fighter (such as Al Iaquinta) even knows how to pronounce his own name since it seems like Italian Americans mispronounce a lot of Italian words.

Back