Conor vs Dustin triology will play out like JDS vs Cain.

JonJonesNeedle

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Their first fight was similar finish to JDS vs Cain, where both Cain/Dustin got hit behind the ear (legal but flukey) and thus couldn't showcase their MMA.

In the second fight, Cain/Dustin was able to showcase their MMA abilities.

I'm thinking this trilogy (if it happens) will go similar to Cain vs JDS, where Dustin will win again using his complete skill set.

What're your thoughts on comparing the two triology's

Dustin wins again, he's too tough, too experienced at LW against all styles, too smart and has adapted with the tide evolution of fighters and skills. Dustin Poirier is a better fighter at LW.

Huge Dustin fan but nah bro.

Conor still had some moments in the second fight and could theoretically adjust some aspects of his game to make the third fight somewhat more competitive. Cain was just a stylistic nightmare for JDS, and I'm a JDS fan too.

Dustin wins the rematch the same way.

GAPyKe4.gif

There was nothing flukey abotu Conor's win over Dustin. That's how Conor wins fights.
In the sense that just like Cain vs JDS, both landed a shot that usually doesn't land (back of ear). The punch grazed the back of Dustin's head. Not taking anything away from Conor but it didn't show that Conor was the definitely better MMA fighter in that first fight, similar to JDS/Cain 1

Huge Dustin fan but nah bro.

Conor still had some moments in the second fight and could theoretically adjust some aspects of his game to make the third fight somewhat more competitive. Cain was just a stylistic nightmare for JDS, and I'm a JDS fan too.
What adjustments can he make without changing his natural default style? He fights best with a wide stance but that makes him extremely vulnerable to leg kicks. He is a 1-2 round fighter due to being an explosive athlete with fast twitch fibers, even if he gets better at defensive grappling he will still tire out.

Conor's coach John Kavanugh said today that they knew Dustin was gonna go for leg kicks and grapple, but knowing all that didn't help Conor because it doesn't change the fact that for Conor, what works for him is wide stance. And the fact that even if Conor can defend against Dustins grappling, he will still fatigue in his arms from lactic acid.

Do you think he can suddenly become a different fighter and fight better against a top LW?

now that dustin knows he can take conors shot and that he can KO conor w/o hitting side/back of the head conor has no shot of winning

conor should fight tony or justin both coming off losses

What adjustments can he make without changing his natural default style? He fights best with a wide stance but that makes him extremely vulnerable to leg kicks. He is a 1-2 round fighter due to being an explosive athlete with fast twitch fibers, even if he gets better at defensive grappling he will still tire out.

Conor's coach John Kavanugh said today that they knew Dustin was gonna go for leg kicks and grapple, but knowing all that didn't help Conor because it doesn't change the fact that for Conor, what works for him is wide stance. And the fact that even if Conor can defend against Dustins grappling, he will still fatigue in his arms from lactic acid.

Do you think he can suddenly become a different fighter and fight better against a top LW?

I think he probably came out too aggressive, also should've tried countering Dustin's leg kicks with leg kicks of his own too. It's all hindsight anyway, but even with those adjustments I'm not saying he would've won the fight, I'm just saying he could've turned it into a more competitive second round at the very least.

Regardless of that, I don't agree with your comparison, I think Cain was a stylistic nightmare for JDS and unfortunately there wasn't much that JDS could do to win the rematches (or even make them competitive) even with adjustments in his gameplan. Dustin came in there as an amazing fighter with a good gameplan against Conor and won the fight - that's how I see it anyway.

I think he probably came out too aggressive, also should've tried countering Dustin's leg kicks with leg kicks of his own too. It's all hindsight anyway, but even with those adjustments I'm not saying he would've won the fight, I'm just saying he could've turned it into a more competitive second round at the very least.

Regardless of that, I don't agree with your comparison, I think Cain was a stylistic nightmare for JDS and unfortunately there wasn't much that JDS could do to win the rematches (or even make them competitive) even with adjustments in his gameplan. Dustin came in there as an amazing fighter with a good gameplan against Conor and won the fight - that's how I see it anyway.
Coming out aggressive is Conor's style. And like Coach Kavanugh said, their camp was well aware of leg kicks and grappling, but knowing it didn't help. It only took one good leg kick from Dustin to shift the tide. Conor would have to leave his default traditional style that he is best at to block Dustin's leg kicks.

The comparison to JDS/Cain was that the first fight for both trilogies was sorta flukey for Conor/JDS. They landed a nice shot to an extremely vulnerable area, but would you bet on them doing it again in the rematch? Or would you bet on Cain/Dustin using their complete MMA skillset to win? We already know how Cain did, and we saw how Dustin did in the rematch.

The comparison to JDS/Cain was that the first fight for both trilogies was sorta flukey for Conor/JDS. They landed a nice shot to an extremely vulnerable area, but would you bet on them doing it again in the rematch? Or would you bet on Cain/Dustin using their complete MMA skillset to win? We already know how Cain did, and we saw how Dustin did in the rematch.

I don’t think the Dustin loss was flukey though, yeah it was to the back of the head just like Cain but there are differences. Cain was the champ coming off an injury/surgery layoff and looked slow, Dustin was still an improving fighter and got better with time. I think if they had fought at FW at that time again even without the back of the head shot it would’ve been a close fight.
FWIW JDS set that overhand up perfectly (albeit on a less than optimal Cain), he feinted to the body several times before coming in with the overhand.
I wouldn’t bet on a third fight just like I didn’t bet on this one haha. But if we’re talking odds I’d give Conor a much better chance at landing a good shot on Dustin in a standing exchange than JDS on a healthy Cain.

Back