Is Michael Chiesa a weaker version of Maia?

MichaelT

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was thinking watching that Neal Magny fight, but is there anything that Chiesa does, that (prime)Maia couldn't do better?

I haven't watched all his fights, but his striking doesn't seem like a threat to anyone at the top, and his game is basically what Maia did, only he's not as good at it?

Am I looking at this wrong? Basically, can he do anything with Colby, Usman etc, that Maia couldn't already do better, and still lose?

Edit: I get the point you’re trying to make but Chiesa ain’t even a fraction as good as Maia, he’s a non factor at WW, not even worth discussing

michael-chiesa-choked-out-kevin-lee.jpg

4.gif

tumblr_pbj1qd2rVE1r7vh24o2_r1_540.gifv

He's very much a poor man's Maia yes.

Still pretty good though.

You could probably say that about any MMA fighter on the planet who builds his skillset around strong BJJ

???

I know about this, that's kind of my point, does he do anything else better, or is he just a Maia with lesser grappling?

I misunderstood your point, but I agree with it.

He’s not even a poor mans Maia, he’s just a UFC commentator on the payroll after Conor hit him with a dolly.

He’s padded his record at WW with undersized weak 40 year olds: RDA, Diego, Condit, now Magny.

I agree, I don’t see him anywhere near the level of true WW contenders.

You could probably say that about any MMA fighter on the planet who builds his skillset around strong BJJ
I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that does it in that same way, like half wrestling half bjj though

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that does it in that same way, like half wrestling half bjj though
Does what in the same way? The style of grappling or what are you reffering to?

I think Chiesa has better striking but not by much but grappling wise they aren't the same. Chiesa wasn't able to get Magny's back for any long period of time which is something Maia was able to do with anyone he was able to take it to the ground with. I'd like to see Chiesa vs Nelson although Nelson is probably too low in the rankings.

I think Chiesa has better striking but not by much but grappling wise they aren't the same. Chiesa wasn't able to get Magny's back for any long period of time which is something Maia was able to do with anyone he was able to take it to the ground with. I'd like to see Chiesa vs Nelson although Nelson is probably too low in the rankings.
I see, it felt Ike he was picking up some hype at 170, but I was wondering what exactly he can do, when he fights the same way Maia did, but doesn't have the same level of bjj

Back