nate vs tony on the ground

Kono dio da!

Giorno's Father
@red
Reaction score
I still think tony kick his ass six ways till sunday. nate is decent at best. but i do respect his bjj game a lot. Tony was absolutely destroyed by charles oliveira. now once again, tony fucks nate up otherwise , but if the fight went to the ground, who would win there? is tony's funky 10th planet bjj enough to cancel out nate's positional, super technical (even though it did him no good against bendo and rda) or will nate own? 2 months ago i'd have called you crazy for suggesting that nate could possibly outperform tony anywhere in the octagon. but would nate outgrapple tony on the ground?

So hard to say, they are like for like in so many ways, height, cardio, no quit, chin, ability to get lifted up and dropped(poor takedown defence).. I couldn't say for sure but i'd edge Tony on the ground for the surprise element, Nate I think has less in his repertoire.
Pick em Pick em Pick em, Tony might win by doctors stoppage as he makes his opponents bleed, and Nate is 99% scar tissue.

I still think tony kick his ass six ways till sunday. nate is decent at best. but i do respect his bjj game a lot. Tony was absolutely destroyed by charles oliveira. now once again, tony fucks nate up otherwise , but if the fight went to the ground, who would win there? is tony's funky 10th planet bjj enough to cancel out nate's positional, super technical (even though it did him no good against bendo and rda) or will nate own? 2 months ago i'd have called you crazy for suggesting that nate could possibly outperform tony anywhere in the octagon. but would nate outgrapple tony on the ground?
nothing will happen they will scramble back to their feet or Tony might catch him in a D'arce

Ferguson's grappling isn't even close to Diaz's, he was outgrappled by Josh Thompson and was mounted and saved by the bell by Kevin Lee before he gassed. Charles Oliviera is good but hes been submitted 3 times and he walked through Ferguson like he was a blue belt. Nate Diaz is like a third stripe black belt under Cesar Gracie, different breed. His closest friends are world champions in BJJ like AJ and Kron Gracie, and ofcourse Nick Diaz is elite on the ground too. They're not even in the same realm.

And on the feet Diaz will land when he wants and Ferguson's pace will be irrelevant. Diaz will piece him up and probably choke him.

I hope we see that fight. That would be great for both.

Ferguson's grappling isn't even close to Diaz's, he was outgrappled by Josh Thompson and was mounted and saved by the bell by Kevin Lee before he gassed. Charles Oliviera is good but hes been submitted 3 times and he walked through Ferguson like he was a blue belt. Nate Diaz is like a third stripe black belt under Cesar Gracie, different breed. His closest friends are world champions in BJJ like AJ and Kron Gracie, and ofcourse Nick Diaz is elite on the ground too. They're not even in the same realm.

And on the feet Diaz will land when he wants and Ferguson's pace will be irrelevant. Diaz will piece him up and probably choke him.
This ..

Theres a lot of people who think Tony is this vastly superior version of Nate which is hilariously flawed and almost entirely based on record, not actual skills.

Tony isnt even in the same universe as Nate on the ground. His biggest strength on the feet is his boxing and Nate is levels above him there.

What else does he have? Kicks that he doesnt even turn his hips and pivot into properly? Elbows?

I've said for years that Tony has been overrated and Nate is underrated.

RDA did well staying in his guard
You mean Nate Diaz did well keeping the highest level BJJ black belt in lightweight from passing his guard. Nobody passes Nate's guard and holds him in half guard, side control, mount etc. Nobody takes his back either.

/submission abilities are speed/reflexive as well like boxing, and older fighters get caught more easily
Lol? Take any fighter and with age they will develop significantly better submission defence as they develop experience. It's nothing like boxing. A lot of fighters have poor sub defence and get submitted early on then late in their careers have amazing submission defence.
Edit: Unless they're a geriatric

Last edited:

Don't disrespect oliveira pls. Thank you.

1290957224.jpg

Yeah Nate is at least sensible enough to tap rather than lose an arm.

There's no reason to believe Nate is that much better than Tony, given how much more success Ferg has had in his career. If anything I'd say both guys are terrible at stopping take downs.

With that being said they are both very capable on the ground. Charles Oliveira would destroy Nate Diaz too

Nate dominates, Tony was getting outgrappled by Pettis. Nate is the better pure BJJ guy and Tony doesn't really wrestle.
Thats a good fight for Nat as long as he avoids those elbows.

This ..

Theres a lot of people who think Tony is this vastly superior version of Nate which is hilariously flawed and almost entirely based on record, not actual skills.

Tony isnt even in the same universe as Nate on the ground. His biggest strength on the feet is his boxing and Nate is levels above him there.

What else does he have? Kicks that he doesnt even turn his hips and pivot into properly? Elbows?

I've said for years that Tony has been overrated and Nate is underrated.
prime Ferguson would destroy any version of Nate the fights with RDA and Josh showed it

Back