Is Tony Ferguson past his prime or never that good?

tripleo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
2 fights ago, less than a year ago, Tony was recognized as one of the two best lightweight in history.

after 2 brutal losses people are saying he is done, now I don't necessarily disagree. Tony is old with many injuries

but the question is was Tony always overrated, or is he just over the hill

let's say if Tony is 5 years younger, does he beat everybody not named Khabib in lightweight top 10 today? or are there just certain matchups he never gonna win

how does that ferguson fair against the following

Khabib
Conor
Poirier
Oliveira
Hooker
Chandler

Last edited:
Crazy Tony Ferguson was the best before he dealt with his demons :D

Looking like he has had better days.

Hate this narrative when fighters lose a couple fights they were never any good.

He just old, happens to all of us at some point.

Past prime for sure

Khabib fight should have happened 2 years ago

A bit from column A and a bit from column B.
Most can beat him up but can't sustain the pace. The sport has just gotten better fighters now such as Khabib and Gaethje, but Ferguson would still put a beatdown on most of the other guys.
His ground game has always been massively overrated though. He had a 50/50 fight on the ground with Josh Thomson, and was mounted by Kevin Lee with ease and everybody said he would beat Khabib due to fighting off his back.

Past prime

Look at his fights with rda, barboza etc. His speed, pressure and overall ability was just a lot better all around. He took a decline after the knee injury and Justin beat the last few good years left out of him.

Winning 12 fights in a row in the UFC's LW division is a fucking amazing accomplishment that should not be downplayed. Tony Ferguson was an elite fighter, and anyone claiming otherwise is just revising history. Everybody gets old, father time is undefeated. You almost never see a fighter over 35 having any sort of high level success in the LW division or lower, it just doesn't happen. Especially coming off a serious knee injury like Tony had.

Tony deserves all the respect and praise that he got during his run and will always be a legend in my eyes.

these threads are becoming like how would fedor do in the ufc today?

Slightly past his best before date , people talk about him like he’s shot but he did loose to a couple of complete animals
Everyone who is claiming he was never any good have no idea what their talking about

Winning 12 fights in a row in the UFC's LW division is a fucking amazing accomplishment that should not be downplayed. Tony Ferguson was an elite fighter, and anyone claiming otherwise is just revising history. Everybody gets old, father time is undefeated. You almost never see a fighter over 35 having any sort of high level success in the LW division or lower, it just doesn't happen. Especially coming off a serious knee injury like Tony had.

Tony deserves all the respect and praise that he got during his run and will always be a legend in my eyes.
That's a prime example of overrating.

Oliveira and Holloway beat any version of him, that's for sure.

HE WSAS GOOD BUT KARMA CAME FOR HIM AFTER HE TURNED DOWN THE HOLLOWAY FIGHT BC HE GOT TOO SELFISH AND STUPID THAT WAS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK

I think he is past his prime.

He was a great unorthodox fighter in his prime, with excellent cardio, recovery, and chin. I can see Prime Tony defeating Conor, Nate, Gaethje, and Dustin through pressure, cutting them up, and possibly subbing them. Hell he even dropped Gaethje pretty bad in the end of the second round.

However, Current Tony has been through wars, is old, and looks depleted.

Back