Who is Nate Diaz fighting?

Sam's UFC title reign

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Looking at the rankings at lightweight Nate has the following options.

Justin Gaethje- This fight seems very likely to happen though the UFC and is great because the UFC wins regardless of the outcome. If Nate wins, Gaethje is a big enough win to merit a title shot, and a crack against either Dustin or Conor, both opponents he has beef and history with. If Justin wins he gets to either have a rematch with Poirier which can will attract people because the first fight was so good, or Conor Gaethje which fans really wanted all of 2020 and is still a hyped matchup. This is one of the best options.

Charles Oliveira- This fight is the second most likely to happen though the reasoning behind the matchup might be somewhat strange. The UFC in this case would probably be betting against Do Bronx and for Nate to win. A win for Nate gets him the same amount of credit as a win over Justin, and has the added advantage of removing Oliveira from the title conversation, leaving the UFC with marketable english speaking talent contending for the title. If Oliveira wins however there is little upside. The weaknesses in Oliveira's marketability stem from his inability to speak english, not a lack of competition of viewers. A win over Nate will not change that.

Tony Ferguson- This fight is unlikely to happen for a number of reasons. Their is almost no upside to this fight. While the fan in me needs to see this, a win over Ferguson, especially after his dominant loss to Do Bronx should not be enough to get someone into the title picture. Nate may win but he would join the line behind Justin and Do Bronx. If Ferguson wins, a single win over a semi retired Diaz would not do him too much good especially if his goal is the title. If they simply want to reward Tony for years of service, this is the way to go though I do not think the UFC will suddenly start to see Ferguson for the star he is.

These are the three choices. I believe the UFC will go with Justin because it is the only matchup where they win regardless of outcome

Either Justin or Oliveria because both of them does not have a fight booked

yeah im convinced it will be similiar to the khamzat situation. olivera will be offered a title shot if he beats nate

Tony would make most sense but Dana said explicitly is not going to be him.

I think it's going to be Gaethje, whom I think is going to mop the floor with Nate.
I would have thought the same before the Khabib fight. Justin looked like an amateur on the ground against Khabib. Khabib is an all-time great grappler, but I've never seen him submit someone as easy as he did Justin. I think Nate would take Justin down and submit him within a round. Justin has to get serious about his BJJ if he wants to be champ. His grappling against Khabib was nonexistent.

The Irish Dragon would like you to modify your post TS and add him to the conversation.

I just got off the phone with him and he promises blood will be spilled.

upload_2021-1-15_13-52-35.png

Tony Ferguson seems like the most logical answer. Not just from a point of both guys need a win to get into the mix of things, but they have styles likely to lead to a great fight. He's also very well known. Felder would be a decent alternative

I thought Oliveira initially because it makes most sense, but the comment from Dana "Your going to enjoy it" if you read into that, Gaethje is probably the winner.. I can't imagine Dana using those same words for a Du Bronx matchup.

I just want to see Dana's reaction to putting the belt around Nate, lol

I would have thought the same before the Khabib fight. Justin looked like an amateur on the ground against Khabib. Khabib is an all-time great grappler, but I've never seen him submit someone as easy as he did Justin. I think Nate would take Justin down and submit him within a round. Justin has to get serious about his BJJ if he wants to be champ. His grappling against Khabib was nonexistent.

I don't think any of this would be relevant. Nate is the better BJJ artist but has no way to take the fight to the ground. Nobody except Khabib is taking down Gaethje at 155. Gaethje is also the best leg kicker in the division and leg kicks have always been a problem for Nate. Add to this that Gaethje can match Nate's cardio and chin and is way more powerful.

Back