Why is UFC abandoning ship from the old man corps?

Memeojima

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Silva was kicked out the door. Shogun went from a decent old man streak to utter garbage and get the hell out from Dana. Yoel abruptly cut. Dana looking like a deer in the headlights when it comes to Glover Teixeira being on a hot streak. I get that a lot of them are over the hill, but it still makes me sad to see them all evacuated at once. It's not like any controversy happened recently, I wonder what got all promotions into dropping their old guard names at the same time.

Uncle Goof's Contender Series is the future of cheap, watered down MMA in the UFC. If someone has a big name but they aren't worth it in the Goof's eyes they will be shown the door, even if they are still near the top of their division.

Dana doesn't want to pay for their AARP dues
giphy.gif

A lot of those guys have been on the same trajectory for many many years so their careers ending around the same time really isn't that weird.

Uncle Goof's Contender Series is the future of cheap, watered down MMA in the UFC. If someone has a big name but they aren't worth it in the Goof's eyes they will be shown the door, even if they are still near the top of their division.

I hear what you are saying...but they are not the "future" of their divisions. I don't watch the contender series at all, and it's hard to watch the "old guard" get...tossed to the curb for lack of better terms but at the end of the day, they are pass their primes and most likely hard for the UFC to justify their salaries.

Sucks getting old.

Silva was kicked out the door. Shogun went from a decent old man streak to utter garbage and get the hell out from Dana. Yoel abruptly cut. Dana looking like a deer in the headlights when it comes to Glover Teixeira being on a hot streak. I get that a lot of them are over the hill, but it still makes me sad to see them all evacuated at once. It's not like any controversy happened recently, I wonder what got all promotions into dropping their old guard names at the same time.

All of them? Every fighter you mention competes in the same promotion, or did so until very recently. And I don't agree he looked like a deer in the headlights.

Glover is on a clean streak, not many turn the tide on Santos like that. They better not lump him in with the lot

Huge fan of both AS and Shogun but there reflexes have showed in there last couple of fights and should not be fighting at top level anymore

Am I missing something? Why are you clowning TS? Title makes sense...Old man corps as in Marine Corps.
Is the UFC abandoning the group of old fighers?
Seems to be the case.

In the past, old guys got destroyed off the roster.

For the most part, they still do get destroyed off the roster.

But a handful of old guys have found out ways to not be great fighters, but to just kind of "exist" and be just good enough to stay on the roster soaking up high salaries and putting on stinkers of fights. Just like LNP guys in 2010, the sport can't outcompete them away, so you gotta cut them to get rid of them.

Back