Rumored [Opinion] UFC hand picks the easiest route through the Top 15 for every rising prospect

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
First of all this is my opinion, it’s just something I’ve been noticing a lot over the years of watching UFC.

I believe UFC hand pics be easiest route through the top 15 of every division for rising prospects.

Why do I think that?

Here’s some examples:

Khamzat Chimaev vs Leon Edwards-this was obviously made because of the particular style matchup, and the struggles Edwards had with Usman.

Alexander Hernandez vs Donald Cerrone-Hernandez was coming off a quick KO of Dariush by basically bum rushing him. UFC thought this would be an easy win for Hernandez since Cerrone struggles with pressure heavy styles.

Francis Ngannou vs Andre Arlovski + Allistair Overeem- UFC knew Ngannou had some serious power and what better way to launch him to the top than making him fight the 2 chinniest people at HW.

Jairzino Rozenstruik vs Andre Arlovski + Allistair Overeem- exact same reasoning as for Ngannou.

Conor McGregor vs Dennis Siver-UFC literally made Siver top 15 just for this one fight. Conor got a title shot right after.

Covington vs Maia + RDA- UFC knew Maia and RDA’s kryptonite was elite wrestlers, so this shot Covington straight to the top.

Usman vs Maia + RDA- same reasoning as for Covington, and what made this even more obvious was that this was right after Covington fought them.

Kelvin Gastelum vs every old man at MW- this one was so obvious.

I could keep going, you get the point.
tenor.gif

First of all this is my opinion, it’s just something I’ve been noticing a lot over the years of watching UFC.

I believe UFC hand pics be easiest route through the top 15 of every division for rising prospects.

Why do I think that?

Here’s some examples:

Khamzat Chimaev vs Leon Edwards-this was obviously made because of the particular style matchup, and the struggles Edwards had with Usman.

Alexander Hernandez vs Donald Cerrone-Hernandez was coming off a quick KO of Dariush by basically bum rushing him. UFC thought this would be an easy win for Hernandez since Cerrone struggles with pressure heavy styles.

Francis Ngannou vs Andre Arlovski + Allistair Overeem- UFC knew Ngannou had some serious power and what better way to launch him to the top than making him fight the 2 chinniest people at HW.

Jairzino Rozenstruik vs Andre Arlovski + Allistair Overeem- exact same reasoning as for Ngannou.

Conor McGregor vs Dennis Siver-UFC literally made Siver top 15 just for this one fight. Conor got a title shot right after.

Covington vs Maia + RDA- UFC knew Maia and RDA’s kryptonite was elite wrestlers, so this shot Covington straight to the top.

Usman vs Maia + RDA- same reasoning as for Covington, and what made this even more obvious was that this was right after Covington fought them.

tenor.gif

Couple of GIGANTIC Flaws in your argument.

First up they weren't trying to push Usman into the title picture. He is a boring wrestler they wanted him to lose but he didn't. They had the man get 10 wins in a row before he got a title shot. And he only got that shot because Colby was injured

Francis Ngannou is a bad match up for EVERYBODY. There was no hard path to the title for him. On paper Curtis Blades was a bad match up for Francis but the predator murked him twice.

They were planning on CUTTING COLBY after the Maia fight

Alex Hernandez LOST BADLY

Gastelum and Rozenstruik aren't popular fighters the UFC has no reason to try an push them when their are more marketable contenders in their division

I agree with you on Khamzat tho. They are trying to set him up with a winnable fight

Why everyone keeps writing Leon off against a guy with zero wins versus ranked opponents just shows how far sherdog hasn’t come

First up they weren't trying to push Usman into the title picture. He is a boring wrestler they wanted to lose but he didn't. They had the man get 10 wins in a row before he got a title shot. And he only got that shot because Colby was injured

Francis Ngannou is a bad match up for EVERYBODY. There was no hard path to the title for him.

Gastelum and Rozenstruik aren't popular fighters the UFC has no reason to try an push them when their are more marketable contenders in their division
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMNN

@Dreyga2000 came in here like

Bb5I.gif

I havent seen such desecration since Fedor (His name be praised) vs Nog I

Reem , RDA and Edwards are no easy fights for anybody. Favorable style matchup in certain cases ? Maybe but by no mean a sure win

So did UFC like Sage or Mickey more?

Why everyone keeps writing Leon off against a guy with zero wins versus ranked opponents just shows how far sherdog hasn’t come
He's for every one of us
Stand for every one of us
He saves with a mighty hand
Every man, every woman
Every child, it's the mighty Khamzat!

Khamzat-Chimaev-5.png

Why do I think that?

Here’s some examples:

tenor.gif

Colby was going to get cut post Maia fight won or lose, the only thing that kept him his job was calling Brazilians filthy animals.

Why do I think that?

Here’s some examples:

tenor.gif

You should call Dana White and demand to talk to his manager

iu

First up they weren't trying to push Usman into the title picture. He is a boring wrestler they wanted him to lose but he didn't. They had the man get 10 wins in a row before he got a title shot. And he only got that shot because Colby was injured

Francis Ngannou is a bad match up for EVERYBODY. There was no hard path to the title for him. On paper Curtis Blades was a bad match up for Francis but the predator murked him twice.

I agree with you on Khamzat tho. They are trying to set him up with a winnable fight

I agree with everything other than I think there are multiple more winnable top 10 fights for Khamzat other than Edwards. He lost 29-28 to Usman has improved a lot since then and Edwards has a great clinch game and defensive wrestling. I see multiple guys with weaker defensive grappling in the top 10 at WW who on paper are easier fights than Edwards is.

Is there favoritism over merit in the UFC?

Yes.

But I might argue that UFC has as many hype job flops as they’ve had successes. And that is why they do it less these days than ever before.

But sure. If a guy has name recognition (like Hardy) they take it easy on him. But then they gave him a top 5 and he got sent back down the ladder. Whereas they gave Hermansson (basically unknown with a decent UFC win loss ratio) to Jacare and he went up the ladder.

It exists. But not as much as TS wants to think it does. Even if he can come up with one or two dozen examples from the last few years (what is that, 0.5%) and shy away from any counter examples that swiftly disprove his hypothesis.

Back