Genetics vs Hard Work...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Rogan was talking about Jon Jones and that he could party, do coke a day before a fight and then proceed to kick the living shit out of his opponents. Meanwhile on the opposite end of the spectrum was Dave who was famous for training like a mad man, worked super hard and really made sure to do everything correctly and becomes the first ever Middleweight champion but loses it real quick and cant regain top form.

Makes me wonder how much of fighting is genetics and how much of it is hard work and talent. I mean how does this whole thing work? I know guys who have been in an MMA gym since 2003 and 17 years later, they are average kickboxers and ok grapplers as well as having an average record.

Yet you francis ngannou who enters MMA and becomes instantly famous. How does this work? How come someone can train for almost two decades and still be stuck at a local level and someone else just ends up in the UFC in a year or two?

Lotta things other than genetics and hard work involved. How many baby mamas you got before 25? Who's your coach? Hard work don't work if it's dumb work! Injuries. Etc. Lotta shit matter when you want to be a world champion...

d7e8deefb59714cb4a88f2191b106142.gif

Why, I gave fair examples that reflect the nature of genetics. Also, Naseem Hamed and Wilder had crazy genetics and they look completely different.

Because the "genetics vs hard work" thing is an old racist trope in sports.

Conor's left hand and Colby's third lung is genetic gift.

Khabib probably is result of both hard work (probably has the first memory on the mat), genetic and environment (Khabib's village has more gold medalists in various sport than any other village in the world).

People often underestimate the brain part of any sport.

There are NBA players with supreme athletic ability, and great work ethic that doesn't make it far in the league because they don't understand the game.

I think on top of being athletically gifted, Jon Jones has great fight sense. That's something you can't really teach. You can teach a fighter to throw a punch, or a kick, or a combo. You can get them to drill 1000000 times, but some just can't put it together correctly no matter what.

It's not just in sports either, there's kids that study all night but doesn't get great grades, and there are kids that just gets it in a very short time.

Because the "genetics vs hard work" thing is an old racist trope in sports.

COMMON MAN!!!

Look, Naseem Hamed was from Yemen and had FREAK genetics in respect to power, speed and quickness. As was the case with Dolph who was a real life Kyokushin guy. Two guys who are not African in origin. Not to mention Brock Lesnar who was a clear genetic freak.

in essence, both. gsp and bones had to train like mad men but genetics play a huge roll in the ability to do so (and have your body respond accordingly)

People often underestimate the brain part of any sport.

There are NBA players with supreme athletic ability, and great work ethic that doesn't make it far in the league because they don't understand the game.

I think on top of being athletically gifted, Jon Jones has great fight sense. That's something you can't really teach. You can teach a fighter to throw a punch, or a kick, or a combo. You can get them to drill 1000000 times, but some just can't put it together correctly no matter what.

It's not just in sports either, there's kids that study all night but doesn't get great grades, and there are kids that just gets it in a very short time.

This is actually a very good point!

Great fighters had to think about the ins and outs of their style. Ricardo Lopez was a legendary undefeated boxing champion and he was very much conscious about his technique, the importance of defense, offense and having proper fundamentals from the Mexican and European style boxing. He understood the science, the history and logic of all the move sets that he was putting together and working on as oppose to just hitting the bag passively.

But still, a repetition is still important and just knowing and being wise is not enough.

Anyone that has competed in anything knows that it's a combination of both. Obviously you won't be HW champ with hard work if you're 5'2". That's genetic. Obviously there are way more talented people out there that prefer to not work so hard and enjoy life. Could we say hard worker mindset is also genetic? Both play a role. And don't underestimate Jones's work ethic because he parties. For partying may actually contribute to his mental edge. I'm not Jones level but I beat some guys at things they take extremely serious because I'm a bit more playful and don't really get nervous. I have a mental edge but I got other stuff going on while all they do is that one thing. I fucking post on sherdog for one.

You can easily refute this argument using education for example, even if you may have a high iq you still have to put in a tremendous amount of work to get a PhD for instance. No god given ability in the world is going to write a several hundred page dissertation for you and then defend it!

Then you can take this same argument and apply it to sports, where we see McGregor being a product of mostly genetics (natural ability for timing and range) and some hardwork . We can look at Dustin Porier and Tony Ferguson who are great examples of how far hard work can get you in a sports where genetics can make all the difference (e.g. Romero). Still, there are no genetic freaks at this point in the sport that are dominating consistently at a championship level besides Jon Jones in terms of fight iq and frame.

Back