What were Sherdog’s thoughts going into Chuck vs Franklin?

TheSpider

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was the consensus that the naturally bigger Chuck was gonna KO the smaller Ace? Were there people predicting that Ace was gonna give Chuck his 3rd straight KO loss?

I remember it was 'Chuck is done, he should retire' type of vibe..

BTW props to Rich for fighting with a broken arm in that fight, and throwing with it.

dvpu7n_jpg.gif

Fckin warrior..

<{JustBleed}>

I considered it a dream fight. Yeah, a number of years too late, but I was still happy to get it.

I remember alot of people saying stuff like "well they are feeding Franklin to the bigger Chuck so he can get a win"

Franklin was a late replacement, so I can understand why people might have favored Liddell...

But Franklin beat Hammill at 205 and I had him beating Henderson as well.

That Chuck was done, but this was still a winnable fight as Franklin doesn't have big KO power and is a (albeit massive) MW. Chuck was a pretty big LHW. IIRC, that is. I picked Chuck. Chuck's chin was way gone.

I thought this was Chuck's last stand and he would win, when Rich threw the death punch I was like
<30>

followed by
<{you!}>

finally acceptance
<WhatItIs>

Franklin was a late replacement, so I can understand why people might have favored Liddell...

But Franklin beat Hammill at 205 and I had him beating Henderson as well.
Wasn’t Chuck originally supposed to fight Tito? It’s been a long time.

Yup.

It was the Coaches fight for their season of the TUF...

I think Franklin was trying to make another run at 185 before Ortiz had to pull out.

Yeah, Tito backed out of the trilogy due to a neck injury IIRC.

To answer the OP, everyone knew Chuck's chin was gone, but was also still dangerous. It was known that Rich had seen his best days. I think most, including myself, considered it a coin flip.

Plowing towards the door at Chuck vs Reshad in Atlanta, my party looks at another party and we all just agree, “Chuck is done”

I feel like most people thought Chuck was washed, but it’s been so long that it’s hard to say.

I figured it could go either way based on where they were in their careers at the time.
Didnt expect Franklin to win by straight KO tho.

Back