RE: LW rankings - should the fighter who performed best vs Khabib get first dibs at a LW TS?

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Who performed best vs. Khabib that's currently in the discussion for a LW title shot:

Conor
Poirier
Gaethje

Any of the top 5 fighters vs. Poirier would be enough for a LW title fight IMO. Conor/Poirier makes the most sense.

Might as well just mail the belt to Connor. He meets this criteria too and has previously beaten Dustin, Tony is done for, Dustin beat Justin, Justin already had his chance, Connor has wins in three different divisions (true p4p great), and most recently Connor went up in weight again to 170 and beat in never before seen fashion the UFCs winningest fighter Cowboy.

Poirier had him in the most trouble and didn't get dropped. Conors performance was overrated af, he fouled 20 times and never had Khabib in trouble with a single thing that he did.

At least Gaethje had the leg kicks and Poirier had the guillotine. Also by this criteria, RDA and Iaquinta deserve to be in the mix.

they're gonna make Dustin/Conor for the title aren't they

Who performed best vs. Khabib that's currently in the discussion for a LW title shot:

Conor
Poirier
Gaethje
Might as well just mail the belt to Connor. He meets this criteria too and has previously beaten Dustin, Tony is done for, Dustin beat Justin, Justin already had his chance, Connor has wins in three different divisions (true p4p great), and most recently Connor went up in weight again to 170 and beat in never before seen fashion the UFCs winningest fighter Cowboy.
That would be conor.
In my opinion, Poirier did better than Conor. He was able to tag Khabib multiple times on the feet and threathened with a submission.

The last two interim champs makes most sense. Or maybe you include the guy who had a dozen wins in a row. That's where my list ends. . .

In my opinion, Poirier did better than Conor. He was able to tag Khabib multiple times on the feet and threatened with a submission.
Multiple times? You mean one good shot? I don't recall him doing really any damage. Conor didn't do much damage, but he defended takedowns and he stood with khabib. Dustin couldn't stand with khabib. He backed himself into the fence and when he did, he hit him clean once, got checked by a hook then gassed out. Adrenaline dump.Desperation guillotine. Finished in 3. Conor finished in 4. Conor did better, imo.

Multiple times? You mean one good shot? I don't recall him doing really any damage. Conor didn't do much damage, but he defended takedowns and he stood with khabib. Dustin couldn't stand with khabib. He backed himself into the fence and when he did, he hit him clean once, got checked by a hook then gassed out. Adrenaline dump.Desperation guillotine. Finished in 3. Conor finished in 4. Conor did better, imo.
Conor never had Khabib in any sort of trouble whatsoever, at least Dustin forced Khabib to give up position so he could defend the decent attempt at a guillotine.

Poirier had him in the most trouble and didn't get dropped. Conors performance was overrated af, he fouled 20 times and never had Khabib in trouble with a single thing that he did.

At least Gaethje had the leg kicks and Poirier had the guillotine. Also by this criteria, RDA and Iaquinta deserve to be in the mix.
Was going to say Conor but you reminded me of all those damn fouls

Conor never had Khabib in any sort of trouble whatsoever, at least Dustin forced Khabib to give up position so he could defend the decent attempt at a guillotine.
True. I agree. But that was luck. that was desperation.

Khabib gave him his neck lol. Come on man.

They won't be fighting Khabib so why the fuck would that matter?

True. I agree. But that was luck. that was desperation.

Khabib gave him his neck lol. Come on man.
How was it luck? Dustin attempted the guillotine and got it, kind of. I also don't think he did it out of desperation, it wasn't the first time he attempted to go for a guillotine instead of defending the takedown. He did the same thing against Alvarez

Not the guy that would have tapped in the second round if he didn’t cheat a record amount of times.

Nor the guy with the thinnest resume at the weight class. One win in 4 years. Two fights total in that time.

How was it luck? Dustin attempted the guillotine and got it, kind of. I also don't think he did it out of desperation, it wasn't the first time he attempted to go for a guillotine instead of defending the takedown. He did the same thing against Alvarez
Khabib gave him his neck. That's one of his signatures. Baiting a low percentage guillotine that tires the opponent+lets him rest. There's film on this, going back to RDA, going back to MJ and others.

It's not like Khabib wasn't conscious of the guillotine threat. He was. It just got tight. It was desperation squeeze and he almost got it. But its not like there was a gameplan around that. lol. I say conor even though he cheated a fuck ton would get a title shot because he's the most talented and did ok.

Conor took a round from Khabib, that's gotta account for something.

1. Dustin hurt Khabib with one shot. Resulting in him landing other shots on Khabib. Not cleanly, but some of them still landed.
2. Conor did ZERO damage. Let's also not forget his 20+ fouls commited in the fight. Dustin fought a clean fight.
3. Call it desperation guilliotine but atleast he threathened with it. Conor couldn't do shit. He got beat down way worse than Dustin and he got knocked down. That's bad.

Back