Which Current Champions Have Defeated the Best Competition thus far?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In my opinion it is:

1) Volkanovski
2) Adesanya
3) Nurmagomedov
4) Usman
5) Yan

Volkanovski has defeated Holloway x2, Aldo and Mendes; beating Holloway once is impressive, but twice? No other champion has defeated a fighter as skilled as Holloway.

Adesanya has sky-rocketed since he entered the UFC; defeated experienced fighters like Brunson, Silva and Tavares; destroyed elite fighters such as Whittaker and Costa and made it look easy; he then had an impressive interim title win and outlasted Gastelum. Adesanya also defeated Romero, in spite of the lackluster fight, it was a successful title defense.

Nurmagomedov's biggest wins are, of course, against McGregor and Poirier; the two were at the top of the weight class and in their primes when Nurmagomedov defeated them. He has also defeated Johnson, Barboza and Iaquinta. He has another title defense upcoming against Gaethje, a win against Gaethje could elevate him into the second spot, but Adesanya's streak is really tough to beat.

Usman's case is not his fault, he has defeated most fighters who are out of their prime; Woodley, RDA and Maia; although he has two of his biggest wins against Masvidal and Maia. Usman also has Leon Edwards in his win column, which has aged very well; Edwards is now a contender for the belt, and arguably second best at WW - I believe so, anyway - and a rematch will likely happen next year.

Yan at five is reasonable, especially if he defeats Sterling. He had his biggest win against Aldo; albeit coming off of a loss, he looked impressive and gave Yan a fight, pressure and pace have never went well with Aldo; otherwise, he would be nearly unstoppable. He has wins over Rivera and Faber under his belt, which are good, but not great wins. Although, Aldo is one of the most skilled fighters that have ever fought in the UFC.

Thoughts?

I think Nunes destroying Cyborg in seconds and beating Shevchenko twice (the two women behind her on the GOAT list) automatically puts her in the top 5. Id personally put her at 4 and remove Yan.

She also destroyed Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm and beat Tate easily.

Volk beat Aldo past his prime and Mendes off roids and coming off a suspension. Adesanya has the best wins imo, Whittaker, Romero, Gastellum, Costa,

Volkanovski beat Holloway once, lost the second time. He beat the corpse of Aldo and post-cream Mendes. Absolutely criminal putting him at 1.

I think Nunes destroying Cyborg in seconds and beating Shevchenko twice (the two women behind her on the GOAT list) automatically puts her in the top 5. Id personally put her at 4 and remove Yan.

She also destroyed Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm and beat Tate easily.
WMMA has the weakest competition so that would put Nunes at the bottom

Why isn't Stipe on this list?

DC x2
Ngannou
JDS
Overeem
Werdum
Hunt
Arlovski
Roy Nelson
Maldonado
Gonzaga

I don't care that a lot of those guys were older, every single one of those fights is still extremely dangerous. The depth of his resume wins IMO. Especially since Volk clearly lost the 2nd fight vs Holloway.

I agree with your list.
You can argue Stipe in there as well.

I wouldnt even put Masvidal in Usmans top 5 wins... Maaaybe 5th but it's only from Name recognition

1: Khabib: Poirier, Mcgregor, prime RDA , prime barboza, prime michael johnson, al iaquinta, and roided tibau.

2: Stipe: Cormier x2, Ngannou, prime Werdum, Jds, Overeem, and Arlovski.

3: Adesanya: Romero, Whittaker,Costa, Brunson, Gastelum

4: Volkanovksi: Aldo, Max x2, Mendes,

Um, Stipe?? Unless you meant the best competition in their current run. In that case, probably Khabib having been champion/undefeated the longest, and hence, having faced most number of championship level opponents.
Edit: now that I think about it, probably Adesanya. Hasn't he already beaten like half of the current top 15?

Id probably put Stipe in the top 5 to. Although many of his opponents where old he beat DC twice, Ngannou easily and also knocked out Overeem, JDS, Werdum and Mark Hunt. He also revanged two of his three losses.

Why isn't Stipe on this list?

DC x2
Ngannou
JDS
Overeem
Werdum
Hunt
Arlovski
Roy Nelson
Maldonado
Gonzaga

I don't care that a lot of those guys were older, every single one of those fights is still extremely dangerous. The depth of his resume wins IMO. Especially since Volk clearly lost the 2nd fight vs Holloway.
Loved the post until that last sentence.....

1. Stipe

The rest are too close with each other, currently. Khabib might take the lead if he beats Gaethje. Right now, though, I might even put Usman in 2nd. But I don't know, they're all just 1 win away from edging each other out.

Last edited:
Right now I think it's Israel but Yan has the potential to pass him with how many killers are in the BW division. Yan has a lot of very tough guys he needs to beat.

Back