Cases of fighters refusing to let their hands go.

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
Tyron Woodley recently comes to mind. Sure he didn't have much output even early on but goddamn, in the last few fights he refused to throw even when he was against the fence.
Robbie Lawler recently as well which is pretty sad.
Costa and Romero recently.
Junior in some of his fights, especially the overeem fight.
Its kinda funny that most people fighting khabib do let their hands go somewhat, Prolly realize that this is the only chance.
Any more fights or fighters that come to mind and the reasons why? Which did these moment legit annoyed you?
Oh yeah, how could I forget, Derrick Lewis vs Francis cause Lewis was injured and Francis was petrified.

2Hnm.gif

Woodley 100%.

Obviously not so much now but if Jans always had that power it makes you think how well hed have sooner in the UFC if he learnt of the power he has.

Oh, forgot about Rashad. Sucks because he was one of my favorites.
Sucks even more because he looked tremendous physically, but I don't think he landed a clean punch in the last few fights. Ouch.

Sam Alvey is only capable of counterstriking guys who try to rush him with punches. Otherwise he will refuse to throw.

Roy Jones vs pretty much every one he fought after Tarver KOed him, but especially his fights with Calzaghe and Johnson...

De La Hoya vs Pacquiao was very one-sided and De La Hoya just couldn’t get anything going. They say he had a very rough weight cut...

Oliver McCall vs Lenox Lewis 2 was a bizarre fight where McCall did absolutely nothing and pretty much had a breakdown during the fight...

Felix Trinidad vs Winky Wright had the most passive Trinidad I have seen. A part of it was because the ref took a point away for low blows and Trinidad was afraid of getting another point taken, but even before that point, his output was low...

Starnes vs Quarry looked like a fight early on, but all of a sudden Starnes got on his bicycle and back pedaled the majority of the night...

Filho vs Sonnen was a fight right out of the Twilight Zone. Frank Mir was on commentary and brought up that it seemed like Filho was looking at people/things that weren’t there...

Belfort vs Sakuraba had some good opening flurries from Belfort early, but he was sook reduced to spending the majority of the fight butt-scooting. I’ve heard that it was because he broke his hand early though...

Suloev vs Lister was a fight where both guys did almost nothing. Both guys were given yellow cards for being too passive...

Tyron Woodley recently comes to mind. Sure he didn't have much output even early on but goddamn, in the last few fights he refused to throw even when he was against the fence.
Robbie Lawler recently as well which is pretty sad.
Costa and Romero recently.
Junior in some of his fights, especially the overeem fight.
Its kinda funny that most people fighting khabib do let their hands go somewhat, Prolly realize that this is the only chance.
Any more fights or fighters that come to mind and the reasons why? Which did these moment legit annoyed you?
Oh yeah, how could I forget, Derrick Lewis vs Francis cause Lewis was injured and Francis was petrified.
Arlovski. He's an old man now, but after he got knocked out by Sylvia a similar thing happened. Then it happened again after Fedor flatlined him. He came back from it both times, however. Now he's just old.

You can include Machida, Anderson Silva, Overeem and Mousasi in that list. It seems a lot have fighters have grown tentative as they've aged.

Really and truly Joel Romero is exceptionally low output.
It’s just masked by his unpredictable balls to the wall attacks when he does engage.

I dislike this concept of letting one's hands go so to speak. In most cases it is a cheap way of saying I lost because I wasn't 100 percent. In most cases, what actually happened was one of the fighters had a style that made the striking harder to gauge and perform without consequences. Whether that threat is heavy wrestling, a counter striking style or relentless pressure or something else is often up for debate. But it is usually a stylistic issue rather than a "I should have let my hands go issue."

Pretty much any fighter , If they stick around long enough.

Is normal

Back