Great examples of a change of gameplan that changes the result completely (Izzy/Costa)

Metallicalabran

Don't be scared homie!
@Brown
Reaction score
I am not saying this is the cause in specific, maybe a change of plans would not work for Costa because Izzy is just on a whole different level completely (And i would love it because think Adesanya is an incredibly fun fighter).

This thread is to mention notable examples of a fight changing completely because a different gameplan like:

Cain vs JDS 1 & 2
- Cain trading in the stand up, no urge for closing distance -> KO
- Cain going full pressure, no space, takedown and wrestling nonstop holy shit -> greatests beatdowns ever

or an adjust of something specific like

DC vs Stipe
UFC 226 and UFC 241
- Stipe enter in dirty boxing, gets caught ->
- Stipe mantains distance an more importante in round 3 he stars to land big left hooks to the liver -> TKO

Do you remember something like this? only thing different was gameplan and changed everything?

Last edited:
Bisping left hook vs Rockhold in the rematch

I think if Costa went with his normal gameplan he would have got pull countered early in the fight and ended even quicker. Adesanya is an impossible matchup for him.

I think if Costa went with his normal gameplan he would have got pull countered early in the fight and ended even quicker. Adesanya is an impossible matchup for him.
I agree with this, if you look back on the matchup now Izzy wouldve countered with straight punches and moved out the way. Costa also doesn't have any head movement like Gas and plots forward. Costa loses every time but he wouldve had more success either pressuring hard off the bat or try to fire counter right every time Izzy leg kicks.

Back