Objectivity with Jan

hedidhisownstunts

EJACULATE LIFE
Banned
Reaction score
Jan is a tough, well-rounded and powerful guy. He’s a veteran. He’s nearly 40. His title reign is likely not long.
I’m not taking anything away from his championship win. He won well yesterday and deserves his respect.

I think we need to keep in mind tho that Jan isn’t great at anything. His power and his seasoned wisdom are his greatest attributes. He’s not a great kickboxer tho. He’s not fast enough or coordinated enough to move anything like an Adesanya.

Light heavyweight is congested with an elite of very tall and long middle class kickboxers who have a generally well rounded skill set but no greatly dangerous ground game. Jan is not shoulders above any of it. If Jones doesn’t return to the weight class we can likely expect an interchangeable top 5 of guys like Jan, Jiri, Nemkov, Rakic, Reyes and Santos.

Nemkov likely has the most interesting ground game of the 5. He would be a big acquisition for the UFC at this time, but I fear it’s very unlikely due to UFCs past difficulties in coming to terms with the Emelianenko Team, and their history working with Bellator.

Could be a late bloomer, you never know. MMA is weird cause one of the biggest skills is toughness and just wanting to be there. Jan seems chill and already proven to be tough. And what a yuge enthusiasm and motivation boost than winning the belt.

I think his power is pretty elite in the division, and his timing with his strikes is very good. He's 37, which isn't quite "nearly 40", but I get what you're saying. Thiago beat him just last year, so it's very reasonable to think that he can beat him again, but I would love to see Jan get a couple title defenses under his belt.

Could be a late bloomer, you never know. MMA is weird cause one of the biggest skills is toughness and just wanting to be there. Jan seems chill and already proven to be tough. And what a yuge enthusiasm and motivation boost than winning the belt.
He doesn’t strike like a skilled striker, which is why Reyes was expected to counter destroy him. He trudged forward throwing a melee of strikes with little regard defensively and we’ve seen him exposed for it before. He hasn’t changed that.

It doesn’t matter if he loses every single fight from now on. His baby is going to be born to a reigning UFC champion. Even if he never successfully defends, that pretty belt will be on his mantle piece until the day he dies. Nobody can take that away from him. And dominating the way he did as an underdog was a thing of beauty. I actually had him by tko in 2. But after the presser where he predicted round 3. I changed my pick to round 3. I figured he knew something I didn’t.

He'll be fine as long as no one finds and takes that noose in the woods. Plenty of great fighters like Randy, Dan and Anderson were doing well into their late 30s and early 40s.

So what? Before Jones the tittle bounced from Chuck to Rampage to Forrest to Rashad to Machida to Shogun. Is there a problem with division competitiveness?

Blachowicz very clearly is better than ever right now. How long that'll last is a different question.

I just can't forget how MW Santos folded him in half while going full speed backwards

ScholarlyAdorableBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

He doesn’t strike like a skilled striker, which is why Reyes was expected to counter destroy him. He trudged forward throwing a melee of strikes with little regard defensively and we’ve seen him exposed for it before. He hasn’t changed that.

He fought Manuwa, Cannonier and Gustaffson, among others, and was never in serious trouble standup. Never mind getting dropped. Was exposing himself badly at all.

The Santos fight is his one blemish, even if big one. He rushed because he was losing the kicking battle, from what I recall, and felt he's not going to be able to move well for long.

Other than that, he was winning the standup in his fights.

LHW is a paper thin division.

It had low competition back when Jones and DC were still around. Now its just ridiculous.

All respect to Jan, but in the current field you can be as respectably average as him and wear the belt.

Jan put it everything together late in his career. And his grappling (specially defensive) has gotten great.

His confidence now in putting more power in his punches is making the difference.

I have been pretty surprised on how composed he fights lately. He is patient and when it comes the time to crack he cracks.

I definetly think a higher volume striker that also keeps its composture would be a worst matchup for him.

Damn.. LHW became super fun again. Jan, Thiago, Jiri, Rakic, Reyes (he is still there), etc.

got pretty nervous for him at the end there when he decided to rush in, did it a couple times and I'm surprised he didn't take any damage from doing that, maybe he felt Reyes was already hurt

He fought Manuwa, Cannonier and Gustaffson, among others, and was never in serious trouble standup. Never mind getting dropped. Was exposing himself badly at all.

The Santos fight is his one blemish, even if big one. He rushed because he was losing the kicking battle, from what I recall, and felt he's not going to be able to move well for long.

Other than that, he was winning the standup in his fights.
Same thing that got him caught against Santos, he was still doing with Reyes. His timing is pretty good with it and his power makes it a problem once he lands. What was expected of Reyes is a better ability to close the distance countering off his heels and cutting angles, which he usually has. For whatever reason that was absent for Reyes in this fight. Jan also has a hell of a reach which Reyes didn’t seem to be prepared for. Any of the 5 guys I mention have a similar or longer reach than Jan? What’s Jones’s reach?

Interesting. Supposedly Jan and Jon both have 78” reach and Adesanya has 80”. Is that right? Is Adensanya really longer than these guys? That’s interesting if he is and may change my thoughts a lil on his potential at lhw

Back