Fighting Adesanya is terrifying

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's two guys in a row now in Romero and Costa who were clearly shook and scared to engage, and those are guys who are know to be intimidating themselves. Imagine thinking a guy is weak and pillowfisted yet fucking Romero and Costa are scared to engage with him.

Izzy was terrified to engage Romero. The one time he engaged he got pelted with a massive overhand. He wanted nothing to do with Yoel.

Terrified or strategic?

He knew what he was doing and got the result he wanted.

Romero never engages unless he is pushed. Costa... Im still trying to wrap my head around his performance.
Romero typically has a little feeling out process and then if you don't give him anything he'll pressure you and go for the kill like he did to Rockhold and Whitaker.

Terrified or strategic?

He knew what he was doing and got the result he wanted.

He could have attacked Yoel like he did Costa, but he knew better. He won that fight but with a different set of judges, he could have easily lost.

As if Romero was terrified lol. Agree with Costa, though he was nervous

Romero typically has a little feeling out process and then if you don't give him anything he'll pressure you and go for the kill like he did to Rockhold and Whitaker.

Rob and Luke engaged way more than Izzy did, who was on his bike the whole fight.

Izzy was terrified to engage Romero. The one time he engaged he got pelted with a massive overhand. He wanted nothing to do with Yoel.
Izzy fought on the outside and counterstruck like he always does. Romero is the one who fought completely uncharacteristic in that fight

Izzy fought on the outside and counterstruck like he always does. Romero is the one who fought completely uncharacteristic in that fight

Romero held the center and Izzy ran around him like a crackhead, doing nothing but baby kicks. Every hard shot in that fight was landed by Romero. Paulo took the center and Izzy dusted him. Why didn't he do that to Yoel? It's because he was afraid to commit to anything.

Mma is weird. Gastelum fought a better fight than Whittaker, Romero and Costa combined. Adesanya is amazing, but to go down never even trying is pointless. I wouldn't say they were terrified, but being hesitant to risk and engage will definitely lead you nowhere against someone like Adesanya.

Romero held the center and Izzy ran around him like a crackhead, doing nothing but baby kicks. Every hard shot in that fight was landed by Romero. Paulo took the center and Izzy dusted him. Why didn't he do that to Yoel? It's because he was afraid to commit to anything.
Babykicks? The same hardass kicks Adesanya was landing on Costa he landed on Romero you just couldn't see the damage because of his darker complexion. Why didn't he fight in the center with Romero like he did with others? Because he didn't need to, he lost one round in that fight because of a single punch landed by Romero, Adesanya's not the one who needed to take more risk in that fight

Obviously some one threatened his family before the fight making him fight like that. It’s what all the cool kids are doing.

Romero never engages unless he is pushed. Costa... Im still trying to wrap my head around his performance.
My thoughts exactly. He didn't even "swing and miss" . . . . he just didn't swing. At all. Just lots of show-boating and getting tagged in the legs. Good for Izzy, but I (and I think all of us) wanted an exciting barn-burner.

Romero was terrified to engage Adesanya.

That's two guys in a row now in Romero and Costa who were clearly shook and scared to engage, and those are guys who are know to be intimidating themselves. Imagine thinking a guy is weak and pillowfisted yet fucking Romero and Costa are scared to engage with him.
Without taking anything away from Israel (he looked great and did what he said he would do) I want to see him in an MMA fight. OF COURSE he's going to beat average MMA-boxers, just look at his friggin kickboxing record. . . which is why for the life of me I don't understand why Romero didn't try to spam the take-down at any point. If Costa has no ground game and no take downs and can't get in the clinch or even get you to the fence, then OK, but I'd really like to see Israel fight someone who can and DOES grapple. Silva, for example, was an exemplary striker but could and did hold his own on the ground against grapplers.

Back