Is it actually possible...that Adesanya punches harder than Costa?

ColbyCovChamp

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I personally thought Costa was going to KO Izzy because of the size/power difference

But during the fight, to my eye it seemed like Izzy's punches were actually faster and more powerful

Both have really high KO% but it's crazy how not too long ago Adesanya was considered pillow-fisted

technique matters. adesanya throws heat. helps if you catch guys mid-punch as well.

Probably, accuracy and timing matter the most when it comes to hurting people. Izzy has great punching form and weight transfer. The left hook he KO'd Whittaker with is more brutal than any punch Costa has ever landed.

Costa has raw power, but outside of his clean left hook he just loads up on one side then the next and beats guys down with volume. In the UFC he's never just came out and slept someone with a well timed punch.

Costa probably punches a lot harder but the main difference was that he wasn’t able to land anything significantly.

It's not how hard you punch its where you punch

Costas fights either end due to volume or go decision. This narrative he was some unstoppable ko artist was false and built entirely off of his appearance. Expected better from Sherdog.

izzy hits harder

He punches better.

He is more precise, faster and has better timing and of course technique. Just look at the two and you see Costa punches harder. But power is only one factor. Everything else speaks for Izzy.

People can take a full force bomb without dropping and at the same time you can get KO'd by a jab. Power isn't everything that matters. It helps though but it can also lead to guys becoming too cocky about their punching ability.

I remember when I saw Cheick Kongo for first time I bet my life savings on him.

he so huge

I actually think it’s the kicks tho. Those kicks were lightning fast. Costa looked bewildered and baffled after few of them landed on him. And the Jab of Adesanya is a thing of beauty as well.

It's more about when you're hitting than how hard, up to a certain point of course. The positioning of your opponent, and timing/speed/accuracy all helps with catching them in that compromized position.

Costa probably hits notably harder, but Izzy picks the right time to strike.

dont mistake a broad but skinny looking dude as being weak, especially when he is that tall, I have a mate , similar build and he is freakishly strong

Strikes that land > strikes that don’t land or aren’t even thrown

science bitch

I wouldn't sat that Izzy punches "harder" than Costa per se, but Izzy's punches faster and more precise than Costa's. If Izzy lands a punch on your chin, he can hurt you and he can knock you out.

I personally thought Costa was going to KO Izzy because of the size/power difference

But during the fight, to my eye it seemed like Izzy's punches were actually faster and more powerful

Both have really high KO% but it's crazy how not too long ago Adesanya was considered pillow-fisted
Of course it is possble. Punching power comes from transferring power from the legs, hips, core, torso to the arm.

What you can bench press and how you look means almost nothing to punching power. Being muscle-bound is, in fact, an impediment to that transfer of energy.

But, even more importantly, how hard you punch is much less important than how accurate you are. If I only need to touch you with pinpoint accuracy on the chin with enough force to break a board to knock you out, then who cares if the other guy's punch can break through five cinder blocks, but he can't deliver that anywhere that is going to put me out?

Adesanya was never considered "pillow-fisted" - not sure where that came from. He doesn't force the KO, but he has fifteen stoppages out of 20 wins, all via strikes.

Tommy Hearns was a devastating power puncher when he was a welterweight. This is what he looked like when he was knocking everyone out in that weight class -

hqdefault.jpg

Costa might do better in the phone booth but Izzy's levers do the job when there's distance

Back