Media No current MW can beat Adesanya. He will only be beaten by a high level wrestler (USA, Russia)

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Adesanya is a taller, longer Anderson Silva, a long-reigning champ with a wrestler kryptonite. They have many similarities and if history repeats itself, Adesanya will be champion for a long time until a young, well-rounded, high level wrestler comes along to end his reign.

None of the current Middleweights have all of these attributes.

Similarities:
Anderson | Adesanya
First pro fight: 22 years old (June '97) | 22.5 years old (March 2012)
UFC MW belt: 31.5 years old (Oct 2006) | 30 years old (Oct 2019)

Strengths: stand-up striking, timing, speed, and reflex.

Weaknesses: Wrestling

Travis Lutter exposed Anderson's weakness, but he lacked the striking ability to get the job done...
Lutter%2006_zpsntgknput.gif

Chris Weidman had the wrestling + bjj + striking (kick defense) to finish the fight
wofQ5uq.gif

AS2.gif

Likewise, Vettori exposed Adesanya's weakness

... but he lacked the BJJ and striking to finish the fight
MaleHighBaldeagle-size_restricted.gif

If history repeats itself, a fighter who can beat Adesanya must be a young wrestler with good striking who can mix the striking with takedown to take Adesanya to the ground to drain his endurance.

Similar to Anderson Silva, one of Adesanya's most effective attacks is leg kick. Therefore, the fighter to beat him must have excellent leg kick defense (leg checks).

The fighter who matches these descriptions will most likely come from the USA or Russia, because these two nations produced the most number of high level wrestlers who successfully transitioned into MMA.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
People forget how amazing Anderson's BJJ is. That is what made him a complete fighter. Sure he could destroy you on the feet but put him on the ground and you are in deep trouble as plenty of fighters learned. Not sure Izzy has shown that but I get the comparison. Let's see how Izzy holds up after 5-6 title defenses.

That young wrestler is already here

1273569979.jpg.0.jpg

Hmmm...

He's a young wrestler with decent striking, so he somewhat fits the description of the kryptonite for Adesanya.

However, he has been beating cans, so not sure how good he really is.

For all we know, he could be the Chael Sonnen, who was really good and nearly beat Anderson, but fell short.

People forget how amazing Anderson's BJJ is. That is what made him a complete fighter. Sure he could destroy you on the feet but put him on the ground and you are in deep trouble as plenty of fighters learned. Not sure Izzy has shown that but I get the comparison. Let's see how Izzy holds up after 5-6 title defenses.

Andesanya has a blue belt in BJJ. He looked like a fish out of water when Vettori put him on his back. Someone with BJJ and can take Adesanya to the ground (ex: prime Jacare Souza) could potentially finish him there.

I personally think Izzy is better, but I agree that a wrestler with good control and gnp is basically the only way to beat izzy. But he also needs the ability to mix it up on the feet

Very similar styles, Anderson was on another level though

Disagree, its easy to look other worldly against the brawlers of Anderson's day, Izzy is a much better striker, an Evolved version with better striking pedigree to begin with.

Looking at the current MW division, I don't see anyone who has the high level wrestling + striking (kick defense) to defeat Adesanya.

How do you think a grappler like Jack Hermansson would do against Adesanya?

@biscuitsbrah
I actually haven’t seen hermansson fight much at all. But from the very little I did see I don’t think he has the wrestling ability to get it to the ground. Have to watch more of him though to actually form a solid opinion

Back