Here is a good question, did they solve the granite chin riddle?

true_fan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Does anyone knows why some fighters gets concussed faster than others? Is it the brain liquid or is it the inner ear sensitivity or is it the structure of the neck and jaw or what the heck is it? How could someone like big country get clobbered with so many uppercuts by JDS at full force and not go down as an example? I know conditioning is involved but what is it that shut the brains in some individuals than others?

giphy-downsized.gif

Frozen nerves. Tyson has a nice documentary way back when on his neck routines. The fluid your muscles are in your face and neck the less likely to get KOed and rocked.

Does anyone knows why some fighters gets concussed faster than others? Is it the brain liquid or is it the inner ear sensitivity or is it the structure of the neck and jaw or what the heck is it? How could someone like big country get clobbered with so many uppercuts by JDS at full force and not go down as an example? I know conditioning is involved but what is it that shut the brains in some individuals than others?

Its a nerve in your brain. Sends a signal to the brain to shut down. Some people's nerve is less sensitive than others. Neck muscles help too.

Here is an article about it

Edit hyper link wont work but just google
The Science Underlying the Fighter's Chin: What Makes a Fighter Durable?

From bleacherreport

You've got the internet at your finger tips and you ask sherdog.
This dude asks sherdog everything. He asks how to tie his shoes,and where do babies come from

Some people are just born with that kinda durability. Also helps to have a big head and a strong neck.

I watched an interesting documentary on g force training as it relates to fighter pilots. While how many g forces you can take can be improved, they basically found that some peoples lights go out at far less or far greater than the norm. Id say the ability to take a punch is having both the ability to take high g's, and also thick neck and traps, that will minimize the g forces as well.

Its a nerve in your brain. Sends a signal to the brain to shut down. Some people's nerve is less sensitive than others. Neck muscles help too.

Here is an article about it

Edit hyper link wont work but just google
The Science Underlying the Fighter's Chin: What Makes a Fighter Durable?

From bleacherreport
Thank u but I wanted personal opinions really! However I will read the article anyways

Do you guys think this makes sense, low IQ fighters have better chins because there is “less” to shut off ?
I really think you're on to something. The lower IQ can run on less brainpower so it can still keep functioning during a concussion. Whereas a high IQ shuts down if there's a minor disturbance in the signal. Compare the chin of Nate Diaz with that of a smart guy like Overeem. That would also explain why a lot of scientist guys don't get into MMA. They don't have a chin.

Back