Is there actually a reason to have a weight limit at heavyweight?

E Undead

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mean, they've had to have something in mind with that, right? I think it's the dumbest idea ever to call it "heavyweight" and then have a weight restriction (with no SHW). Who came up with that and what was the reasoning? I can't imagine everyone was happy with that.

There isn't the risk of a fighter dominating just by being fat. If anything, it was proved again and again that the optimal weight for a HW is around 220-240. Fat monsters like Zulu don't stand a chance anyway.

The only thing this prevents is that really tall guys like Semmy and Struve can actually bulk up. I just don't get it.

DqUrUVw.gif

BUEzhy4.gif

ulyeuuJ.gif

I don't get what you guys are saying. If the UFC don't want fat fucks, don't sign them. Guys like Semmy aren't fat tho but struggle to make 265. This limit doesn't exclude fat losers, the fat guys basically exclude themselves by being bad fighters. It excludes really tall guys or atleast keeps them from putting on some muscle mass.

Having a weight limit at HW is absolutely absurd, based on principle alone. And while there may not be many high-level athletes who weigh more than 265, there actually are some. There's absolutely no reason to exclude monsters like Teddy Riner, Shaq, or any number of other huge professional athletes, simply to enforce an arbitrary weight limit.

And to the people arguing that they don't want to see a bunch of fat guys, I'd propose that the point of the sport is to figure out who the best fighter is; it's not a physique contest. If a fat guy is the baddest man on the planet, then so be it. The more likely scenario is that an out-of-shape fat guy won't have the cardio or agility to compete at the highest level, so they'd quickly be weeded out.

Inside the UFC, the Heavyweight Division is currently 206 lb - 265 lb.

In my opinion, it should stay that way. Otherwise, someone like Tim Sylvia would try to weigh 350 lb - 370 lb and have MMA fights.

The fact is, the only reason that Tim Sylvia had more than 0 MMA fights is because he was able to make it down to 265 lb in the first place. And the only reason that Tim Sylvia was able to make it down to 265 lb was because he was a hard worker and he broke his own back in the gym.

They’ve been trying to give lebron James the perfect weight class to dominate, but hes been ducking C-level athletes

Are there any guys out there who people think would do well in the UFC HW division but are too big? I don’t understand why there is a limit FWIW

I mean, they've had to have something in mind with that, right? I think it's the dumbest idea ever to call it "heavyweight" and then have a weight restriction (with no SHW). Who came up with that and what was the reasoning? I can't imagine everyone was happy with that.

There isn't the risk of a fighter dominating just by being fat. If anything, it was proved again and again that the optimal weight for a HW is around 220-240. Fat monsters like Zulu don't stand a chance anyway.

The only thing this prevents is that really tall guys like Semmy and Struve can actually bulk up. I just don't get it.

Because a SHW division already exists but they never had to use it except once, I think.

If they ever feel a need to reopen SHW, they will.

I don't get what you guys are saying. If the UFC don't want fat fucks, don't sign them. Guys like Semmy aren't fat tho but struggle to make 265. This limit doesn't exclude fat losers, the fat guys basically exclude themselves by being bad fighters. It excludes really tall guys or atleast keeps them from putting on some muscle mass.
This whole time there is literally no one worth a damn that couldnt get in because of the limit

Yeah it should be open weight but if I have to guess I’d agree with people saying they don’t want super fat guys.

Well UFC can also pick the fighters in the roster so there would be no Akebono but larger Lesnars

Back