Rumored Will Costa Use His Jiu-Jitsu Early?

PitDoggMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The big wildcard to me is will cost to use his jujitsu?

He manhandled Romero on the ground, who himself man handles everybody else. What if Costa pulls a Khabib, throwing devastating punches to get a cover-up, then manhandles Izzy to the ground?

Costa's GNP is 10x more punishing than Khabib's.

With both Cejudo, and Cejudo's trainer, in his corner, as well as a world-class BJJ practitioner for a brother, Paulo Costa has a serious ground game (as well as stable w/ a "Champion's mindset & strategy") behind him.

He would destroy Izzy on the ground, and I don't think Izzy is expecting this.

This is a wildcard issue IMO ...

If he is smart he will, but I can see him headhunting and gassing himself out also. Taking this to the ground would be ideal for him, getting it there is the problem.

I got Izzy by DEC or Costa by TKO/KO leaning more towards the former than the latter.

That would actually be a good strategy. Keep the counterstriker Izzy guessing with TD attempts, even if they aren't successful at first. And when he has to worry about the TD, that's when the natty GOAT hits skinny with one of his acai powered overhands, like this
a1bc7b2fc5e7edab6a1b14be2474ff46.gif

Its definitely a possibility and many are overlooking it. Paulos brother/coach is a very talented BJJ guy and Paulo has been doing BJJ for a long time. Apparently he’s pretty good at it and his other coach Eric (the flashy lil guy with glasses) wants him to fight more on the ground.

Costa would have the clear advantage and probably could sub Israel. But the trick is going to be even be able to get a good hold of Adensaya. Israel is going to be moving so much that even closing distance is hard and to go for takedowns even more. Think fight will be mainly standing and maybe in later rounds Costa will try to go to ground.

Dude has one submission win in his career, there's a high likelihood that he got one of those happy meal black belts that you get by default for being Brazilian.

I bet you dont train grappling

He has trained BJJ since he was 12 years old and competed in the brazilian tournaments which are notorious for being just as hard if not harder to win than the world championships/europeans because of the level of competiotions.

I bet you dont train grappling

He has trained BJJ since he was 12 years old and competed in the brazilian tournaments which are notorious for being just as hard if not harder to win than the world championships/europeans because of the level of competiotions.
Wow I didn't know that, I still don't think he is gonna focus on getting Izzy to the ground, that's not how he fights

going to go for body/leg shots until izzy tries down then attack head for KO. izzy got rocked by gastelum and romero so fully expect costa to do the same but finish the job. izzy got ko'ed by some rando kickboxer back in the day too so its the easiest path to beat him. khamzat would submit him by round 2.

Costa has never even attempted a single takedown in his UFC career. That is a fact. If he tries against Izzy it will be a panic wrestle.

Straight up brawl until someone goes down. And someone will, brutally.

Dude has one submission win in his career, there's a high likelihood that he got one of those happy meal black belts that you get by default for being Brazilian.
His manager is the legend Wallid Ismail who's a very renowned blackbelt. Paulo's original martial art is BJJ. I think it's an ace up his sleeve but unfortunately Israel won't let the fight get to the ground.

Back