Did Costa just get "owned" by Izzy?

PitDoggMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watched that encounter between Izzy and Paulo a few times.

I also watched Adesanya's aftermath explanation, as well as Costa's puzzlement and attempted explanation.

I realize that the first publicized "explanation" was that Izzy and Paulo were only "faking" their hatred to each other, but I don't believe that's true.

To me, what I believe to be the most likely explanation is that Israel Adesanya intentionally mind-fucked Paulo Costa, "took his temperature," so to speak, in the effort to change Costa's mentality and mindset, making him puzzled rather than focused. If this is correct, it was a brilliant strategic move by Adesanya.

Costa had previously said he would "never shake hands" with Adesanya; and yet, there he was, shaking his hand. On their first encounter together, is he just broke Costa's publicly-stated resolve.

Also, of the 2 of them, Adesanya is the one who really doesn't want an all-out brawl, come fight night. Costa would surely benefit from any toe-to-toe exchanges; while Izzy would benefit immensely from Paulo Costa's hesitation.

I'm not saying that Paulo Costa still won't beat Adesanya; what I'm saying is that Adesanya just won the "pre-fight" mind-fuck game, getting into Costs's head, changing Costa's mindset, confusing him, and possibly taking away the intensity of his hatred for Adesanya.

I'm still pulling for Paulo Costa; but my confidence in him was definitely diminished by that encounter. I'm not saying that he should get into a fight in a hotel lobby; what I'm saying is he should have been smart enough, as well as determined enough, not to engage in any sort of friendly camaraderie prior to a fight.

I believe that fighters should shake hands and be friendly, after the fight, not before.

As Marvin Hagler said, "There are no 'friends' inside that squared circle, only enemies."

I do like izzys explanation for the encounter much more than Costas tbh.
I hope this doesn't mean izzy now has an edge going into the fight as I really want costa to win

Izzy came after him at the press conference.

Paulo was gotten to when he felt he had to argue without a mic.

I also watched Adesanya's aftermath explanation, as well as Costa's puzzlement and attempted explanation.

I realize that the first publicized "explanation" was that Izzy and Paulo were only "faking" their hatred to each other, but I don't believe that's true.

To me, what I believe to be the most likely explanation is that Israel Adesanya intentionally mind-fucked Paulo Costa, "took his temperature," so to speak, in the effort to change Costa's mentality and mindset, making him puzzled rather than focused. If this is correct, it was a brilliant strategic move by Adesanya.

Costa had previously said he would "never shake hands" with Adesanya; and yet, there he was, shaking his hand. On their first encounter together, is he just broke Costa's publicly-stated resolve.

Also, of the 2 of them, Adesanya is the one who really doesn't want an all-out brawl, come fight night. Costa would surely benefit from any toe-to-toe exchanges; while Izzy would benefit immensely from Paulo Costa's hesitation.

I'm not saying that Paulo Costa still won't beat Adesanya; what I'm saying is that Adesanya just won the "pre-fight" mind-fuck game, getting into Costs's head, changing Costa's mindset, confusing him, and possibly taking away the intensity of his hatred for Adesanya.

I'm still pulling for Paulo Costa; but my confidence in him was definitely diminished by that encounter. I'm not saying that he should get into a fight in a hotel lobby; what I'm saying is he should have been smart enough, as well as determined enough, not to engage in any sort of friendly camaraderie prior to a fight.

I believe that fighters should shake hands and be friendly, after the fight, not before.

As Marvin Hagler said, "There are no 'friends' inside that squared circle, only enemies."

I thought Costa won the first exchange in the lobby because Adesanya went up to him and Costa was like no not skinny always lean and it was Adesanya who put his hand out to shake Costa hand , like offering peace and friendship . Then he just bagged them all at the face offs .

I think Adesanya went up to be nice to trick Costa into thinking it's not a real beef so Costa doesn't go out there to kill him happens in boxing alot

The interview after the face off was to get us all thinking there is Real beef and Adesanya wanted to come out like he won that exchange and owned Costa

He didn't let Costa speak he kept interrupting him , I think Adesanya came out on top here . But Adesanya sounded like a fool . I don't think Costa gives a shit he is focused . The language barrier cancels out alot of the way it comes out anyway .

Looking forward to this fight they both getting paid and business is business

Ahh sherdog coming in heavy with the armchair psychology. Reading way too much into what amounted to a brief cordial interaction. It will have zero effect on the fight, the better man will win.

So.... is the concept being floated here is that a professional fighter who mauls and destroys people inside the Octagon would become flummoxed and hesitant over a handshake?

Perhaps you're reading too much into shit that doesn't matter.

2OG.gif

<45>

I think Adesanya went up to be nice to trick Costa into thinking it's not a real beef so Costa doesn't go out there to kill him happens in boxing alot

That's exactly what I'm thinking. And yes it does.

I'm also thinking is he did it to throw Costa off.

By the way, I'm a Costa fan, and I still hope he knocks Izzy TF out; I just never thought Costa would shake Izzy's hand the first chance he got.

I also thought he would've been smarter not to have shaken his hand, but to point in Izzy's face and say, "I'm going to kill you." That would have not only "kept it real," but would have maintained his mindset.

Do you remember when Donald Cerrone tried to shake Justin Gaethje's hand? (Cerone always does this to keep all his fights at the 'sparring only' level.) Gaethje refused to "hug and be nice" at the face off; he wanted to keep his mind right.

I think Izzy stands to benefit from the fight being more of a "sparring match," than a furious fistic exchange throughout, and "shaking hands" was a strategic ploy on many levels.

Back