What was the best GP/Tournament in MMA,if you had to pick one?

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
The early UFC's count.
It can be one night or several (like Pride Gp's)
Which one was your favorite? Which one was the most dramatic,or which one would you reccomend to someone if they wanted to watch one?

__58_JPG.jpg

I loved the bushido 9 gp's that seemed like a really long night of excellent fights,although the finals took place at shockwave...

I really got emotionally invested in the 04 hw GP.
Lots of drama in that one. Mirko unexpectedly getting eliminated early,Fedor carving a legend out of his impossible hip flexibility when he subbed coleman,and his non sensical survival of the randleplex..

man.

so good.

Ultimate Ultimate ‘96 is also one of my favorite tourneys.
That was a great event, I used to have the VHS of it. Tank was on fire that night!! he should have won, I can't believe he tripped over himself and fell over, he nearly beat Frye to death. The Nelmark KO was so epic, Nelmark looked dead, scary KO, and then the Worsham fight where he tried to throw Worsham out of the cage and nearly did lol.

Great event. Very enjoyable.

Easy peasy.
DREAM 6 Middleweight gp final .

Pre goat 22 year old Gegard Mousasi chokes out Melvin Manhoef and decapitates jacare souza - both - in a combined 3 and half minutes in the same night.

A beautiful fucking thing-

Reactions: HHJ
some of the PRIDE and Bushido gp for sure, those were pure gold, the ones that Wandy, Shogun and Gomi won are among the best events in any sport period

Ive been living in Arona's home city in Brazil, Niteroi. I tried to get some training with him, but he is not that active anymore. Dude has a half octagon half ring in his own house, not that big but it would be damn good to roll on it. Spends the day at the beach, tons of girls asking daily pics. Living the life like a fucking legend

This isn't exactly an answer to what you're asking, but 3 of the top 5 ever IMO were in 05.
  • Pride 05 MW GP (won by Shogun)
  • Pride 05 LW GP (as others mentioned, the first half was on Bushido, won by Gomi)
  • Pride 05 WW GP (first half in Bushido, won by Hendo
05 was a good year to be an MMA fan.

Ive been living in Arona's home city in Brazil, Niteroi. I tried to get some training with him, but he is not that active anymore. Dude has a half octagon half ring in his own house, not that big but it would be damn good to roll on it. Spends the day at the beach, tons of girls asking daily pics. Living the life like a fucking legend

That’s cool info! I love inside tidbits like that. Btw, Do you know if he surfs?

CariocaGoat

This isn't exactly an answer to what you're asking, but 3 of the top 5 ever IMO were in 05.
  • Pride 05 MW GP (won by Shogun)
  • Pride 05 LW GP (as others mentioned, the first half was on Bushido, won by Gomi)
  • Pride 05 WW GP (first half in Bushido, won by Hendo
05 was a good year to be an MMA fan.
Damn straight

2003 MW GP takes the cake imo. It was the one with the most number of memorable fights.

Chuck, Rampage, Wanderlei, Overeem, Sakuraba, Bustamante... so many classics.

Wanderlei vs. Yoshida was an absolute war
Liddell vs. Rampage was insane.
Rampage vs. Busta was insane
Liddell vs. Overeem was crazy too.
Rampage vs. Wandy final was shocking.

I thought the MW from 05 was a bit of a letdown tbh, considering it was the most stacked names-wise: the final between Shogun and Arona was a one sided slaughter, Arona vs. Wanderlei was quite boring, Shogun vs. Rampage wasn't competitive either... Rogerio vs. Shogun was the best fight of the tourney. Kondo vs. Henderson is underrated. Two upsets by Overeem with Igor and Vitor, which was cool. Arona's destruction of Sakuraba was infamous. Wandy vs. Nakamura was not bad, though the rematch with Yoshida wasn't as good as the first fight. Still super close. Arona with Lister was a great ground scrap.

The HW 04 GP was very good, if we take the final rematch between Nog and Fedor III as the culmination of an insane trilogy, it was the best final of any of the GPs and one of my favorite fights of all time. Not to mention Sergei vs. Nog which was a war, the insanity that was Fedor vs. Randleman (same night as Rampage's slam of Arona...), Randleman's insane upset of Mirko... Heath vs. Nog rematch which ended with the famous anaconda, Kharitonov's destruction of Ninja and Schilt as breakthrough performances, Fedor's obliteration of Ogawa...

The OG 2000 GP had extraordinary moments, though it was messy and inconsistent: Saku vs. Royce is one of the most important fights in the sport's history. He then proceeds to fight Igor in a competitive bout. Coleman's destruction of Igor was also impressive, even if one sided for a final and thus a bit underwhelming. Kerr was hyped but already was a mess with painkillers when Fujita stopped him, which was a shame. Fujita threw the towel with Coleman and just cashed in, which was a bummer...Mezger vs. Saku was fishy, to say the least... overall, a bit shady, but also historic tournament.

Last edited:
In all honesty I can't pick just one. Excitement levels that were actually matched with delivery set that time apart from now for me. This is my pitiful contribution. Sorry

Back