Daniel Cormier reminds me quite a bit of Larry Holmes

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I dunno how many hardcore boxing fans there are on this side of the forum.

But for those who do not know the long time Heavyweight Champion of the 80's was Larry Holmes.

Great fighter. Excellent Jab. Good power. Good technique. Basically had it all

But there was a thing with Larry where he (1) tried to constantly remind us how great he was without any sort of real charm or charisma like alot of the greats are able to do (2) and seemed almost insecure with how he was perceived by the public. Part of that was living in the shadows of Ali and then sorta being sandwiched between that era and then Mike Tyson coming in the late 80's. Of course we got the famous "Rocky Marciano couldn't carry my jockstrap" line after losing to Spinks in their first fight which could have been a good line. But the way he said it was so bitter and insecure it became a bad look.

One other thing was that everytime Larry tried to appear tough he just looked really goofy

I see some of that in DC tbh. Kinda lived in the shadow of the more luminous Jon Jones (for better and worse). Seems to kinda keep injecting himself into GOAT conversations but in a kinda.....almost insecure way. And every time he tries to be tough (like trying to trash talk with Jones) it always seems to come off as goofy. Little bit over the top when he loses as well.

Seems like a nice guy and all. Great fighter. But I think there is a lot of Larry Holmes's in him. For better and worse.

Last edited:
Hopefully that means we're in for a "90's heavyweight boxing" era in MMA
the 80's would have been an excellent era if the standout prospects would have stayed off the coke

Tubbs, Dokes, Pinklon, Williams, Witherspoon, Tillman, Weaver.

All good fighters whose careers got fucked because of drugs.

Stipe is a big guy. Most regular people would find him intimidating.

DC looks like some average Joe when he's not in fight shape. Jeff Sherwood told a funny story about some dude who started talking shit to DC at a golf course right before he debuted in Strikforce, and people had to educate him about who DC was.

But for those who do not know the long time Heavyweight Champion of the 80's was Larry Holmes.

But there was a thing with Larry where he (1) tried to constantly remind us how great he was without any sort of real charm or charisma like alot of the greats are able to do (2) and seemed almost insecure with how he was perceived by the public. Part of that was living in the shadows of Ali and then sorta being sandwiched between that era and then Mike Tyson coming in the late 80's. Of course we got the famous "Rocky Marciano couldn't carry my jockstrap" line after losing to Spinks in their first fight which could have been a good line. But the way he said it was so bitter and insecure it became a bad look.

One other thing was that everytime Larry tried to appear tough he just looked really goofy

I see some of that in DC tbh. Kinda lived in the shadow of the more luminous Jon Jones (for better and worse). Seems to kinda keep injecting himself into GOAT conversations but in a kinda.....almost insecure way. And every time he tries to be tough (like trying to trash talk with Jones) it always seemed like he came off goofy. Little bit over the top when he loses.

Seems like a nice guy and all. Great fighter. But I think there is a lot of Larry Holmes's in him. For better and worse.

I'm more of a boxing fan than the average Sherdogger, and I don't view it as a valid comparison at all.

DC isn't significantly more egotistical that any other guy who's been a champ for several years in this sport. A lot of guys have started talking about being GOATs after multiple title defences.

Also, DC had to put up with a lot of shit RE not being perceived as a real champ because of Jones, but he doesn't have nearly the kind of chip on his shoulder thet Holmes did.

He got plenty of credit and adulation after he KO'd Stipe the first time and became champ champ.

Also, he's very well respected by the powers that be in the MMA community and is going to be working media gigs for the rest of his life with the possibility of a job in UFC management.

Holmes had no friends in the boxing establishment. Everybody desperately wanted him to lose to Cooney, and people were glad when he finally lost to Spinks.

The only real thing that they have in common is not being well-liked by a contingent of hardcore fans in their respective sports. But it's not really a big deal. MMA fans are a salty bunch who, more often than not, invent stilly reasons to hate fighters.

Larry Holmes huh?

source.gif

I'm more of a boxing fan than the average Sherdogger, and I don't view it as a valid comparison at all.

DC isn't significantly more egotistical that any other guy who's been a champ for several years in this sport. A lot of guys have started talking about being GOATs after multiple title defences.

Also, DC had to put up with a lot of shit RE not being perceived as a real champ because of Jones, but he doesn't have nearly the kind of chip on his shoulder than Holmes did.

He got plenty of credit and adulation when after he KO'd Stipe the first time and became champ champ.

Also, he's very well respected by the powers that be in the MMA community and is going to be working media gigs for the rest of his life with the possibility of a job in UFC management.

Holmes had no friends in the boxing establishment. Everybody desperately wanted him to lose to Cooney, and people were glad when he finally lost to Spinks.
I would disagree for a few reasons

(1) I think my overall point is more how...I almost sense an insecurity in both. I am sure you watch the pressers and interviews ( like most fans do including myself), there is something odd about DC when he talks about his legacy and greatness. And I realized it's the same odd thing about Larry Holmes

Yeah they both are great. And yeah they both could say hey I'm the greatest. But I have found that with both they do it in a way that is so...uncharismatic almost that even though it's harmless it just comes off odd.

(2) I think there is a lot merit to my argument that DC feels he lives in Jones's shadow. Not dissimilar to Holmes with Ali and Tyson. I don't know how much I agree that DC doesn't have a chip on his shoulder about the whole thing. Which hey, it's only natural and human. But i don't agree that he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder over that

there are a few other arguments to make but these are the two main ones

I see some of that in DC tbh. Kinda lived in the shadow of the more luminous Jon Jones (for better and worse). Seems to kinda keep injecting himself into GOAT conversations but in a kinda.....almost insecure way. And every time he tries to be tough (like trying to trash talk with Jones) it always seems to come off as goofy. Little bit over the top when he loses as well.

I dont care about any of those flaws. DC is one of my favorite fighters. I could only hope and pray that DC would dropkick Jones off a car and yell "THUG ROSE" while he does it

I dont care about any of those flaws. DC is one of my favorite fighters. I could only hope and pray that DC would dropkick Jones off a car and yell "THUG ROSE" while he does it
not saying you need to care. I like DC.

More of a general observation

Reactions: HHJ
fb_img_1597372959944-jpg.790895

If I saw either in that state I would wrongfully consider that I could whoop their ass...

I would disagree for a few reasons

(1) I think my overall point is more how...I almost sense an insecurity in both. I am sure you watch the pressers and interviews ( like most fans do including myself), there is something odd about DC when he talks about his legacy and greatness. And I realized it's the same odd thing about Larry Holmes

Yeah they both are great. And yeah they both could say hey I'm the greatest. But I have found that with both they do it in a way that is so...uncharismatic almost that even though it's harmless it just comes off odd.

(2) I think there is a lot merit to my argument that DC feels he lives in Jones's shadow. Not dissimilar to Holmes with Ali and Tyson. I don't know how much I agree that DC doesn't have a chip on his shoulder about the whole thing. Which hey, it's only natural and human. But i don't agree that he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder over that

there are a few other arguments to make but these are the two main ones

Viewed from the perspective of insecurity about being in other people's shadows, I can kind of see the comparison.

DC was one of those guys who was never the really the best. He lost to Cael Sanderson every time that he wrestled him in college, had mishaps at the Olympics, and was a glorified interim champ at HW.

However, he got real validation after beating Stipe. And insecurity or not, he just doesn't seem to be the kind of sad figure that Holmes was.

Viewed from the perspective of insecurity about being in other people's shadows, I can kind of see the comparison.

DC was one of those guys who was never the really the best. He lost to Cael Sanderson every time that he wrestled him in college, had mishaps at the Olympics, and was a glorified interim champ at HW.

However, he got real validation after beating Stipe. And insecurity or not, he just doesn't seem to be the kind of sad figure that Holmes was.
I would probably agree Holmes is the more bitter of the two. Holmes is extremelyyyy bitter. So in that sense i agree

But I think there are elements of the two that are similar even if DC is the more likeable fellow

The Easton Assassin >>>>>>>> DC.

Put some respeck on Larry’s name and skills fool.

the 80's would have been an excellent era if the standout prospects would have stayed off the coke

Tubbs, Dokes, Pinklon, Williams, Witherspoon, Tillman, Weaver.

All good fighters whose careers got fucked because of drugs.

Coke ruined a lot of athletes in the 80s. Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry looked like all time great baseball players, Len Bias never even got a game in the Nba.

Back