MMA Doesn't Have One GOAT

SmoothPies

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
IMO - MMA doesn't really have a defined GOAT - I think that these 4 are pretty equal.

Fedor, GSP, Anderson, and Jones all have great cases for GOAT
-Fedor had the longest run of dominance, and went a decade undefeated
-Anderson had the most impressive performances and the greatest aura
-GSP was the best athlete, all around MMA fighter, and avenged all his losses
-Jones has the most flawless resume

They all also have their asterisks
-Fedor didn't always face the strongest competition
-Anderson has had issues with USADA
-GSP retired early, fought conservatively and didn't have the finishes the others did
-Jones has had issues with USADA

I think it's OK to admit that our sport doesn't have a defined GOAT like others do. It would take an awful lot for anyone to surpass these 4, but our sport is certainly young. I think soon, we will also be adding Khabib to this list.

I can respect that opinion. At least you provided rationale for it. That said, Fedor is the GOAT. GSP/Anderson are close enough to both be in the two spot. Then a pretty big drop; then Jones at 4.

xmUryUVh8EC6vsQeslTRdAeDz5NFPrCCJFw7S4SiKIBtvzWeQJtcoiklaYwdZvo6KYoW8D8lAp6W757dNfzXNTOGqRAyMg53gzw9mQmSib5YR_hJGPGJzEw

IMO - MMA doesn't really have a defined GOAT - I think that these 4 are pretty equal.

-GSP retired early, fought conservatively and didn't have the finishes the others did

I think it's OK to admit that our sport doesn't have a defined GOAT like others do. It would take an awful lot for anyone to surpass these 4, but our sport is certainly young. I think soon, we will also be adding Khabib to this list.
I’ve been pushing this forever.

There’s no clear leader. It’s not about who did more or less, it’s about the criteria you choose to use to define “goat”. That’s everyone’s personal choice, and many times at the end of the day it’s who people enjoyed watching the most whether they’ll admit it or not.

Those guys may have been the GOATs but I am the GOATherd.

No sport really has a defined goat. Theres diff positions, just like mma has different weight classes.

what makes it even harder in mma is that it is international, as someone who is GOAT, may have never even fought in the ufc or fought each other in their primes.

I agree and it never can or will because of multiple weight classes.

However, you can't expect not to be forced to choose. and if one absolutely must choose, I respect anyone's opinion who says it's Georges or Fedor for the time being. (or jones, If known users are allowed.)

No sport really has a defined goat. Theres diff positions, just like mma has different weight classes.

what makes it even harder in mma is that it is international, as someone who is GOAT, may have never even fought in the ufc or fought each other in their primes.
Combat sports, sure

Gretzky is the hockey GOAT
MJ is the basketball GOAT

The other issue for MMA to have one GOAT is that their are weight classes unlike other sports. So these guys aren't even playing on the same "league" in a way. Add that to timeline differences that comes with GOAT talks ... it makes it almost impossible.

Agree. Its hard to compare weight classes. But there's definitely goats in one weight class alone

I can respect that opinion. At least you provided rationale for it. That said, Fedor is the GOAT. GSP/Anderson are close enough to both be in the two spot. Then a pretty big drop; then Jones at 4.

The irony in this post. With that said, this is the stupidest thing I've read today. I've only been on for a few minutes, so that's sure to change. But, this one was immediately a standout.

Jones also has the asterisk of eye pokes. None of the other 3 has that smudge on their record, they were clean in the cage. Even though Jones is probably the best of the 4 and would beat all of them in a fight.

It's hard to all agree because MMA is a fairly new sport. People can only comment on someone if they actively saw them fight at the time really.

It's the same way new mumble rap fans think Eminem is overrated because they're only listening to his new stuff.
My generation will say Messi is the GOAT but older generations will say Maradona.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd be able to tell you who I think the GOAT of each divisions are.

I think MMA as a sport too broad to define a fighter from one weight class as better than anyone else personally. For me you can't compare a guy like Fedor vs someone like MM.

Not only do we admit it with all the bullshit we put each other through. But we damn near demand it so we can continue having usless arguments about it.

No love for Couture?

If you look at significant wins over top competition I got him just above Jones.
  1. Spider
  2. GSP
  3. Fedor = 10 – Arona, Herring, Big Nog (Twice) , Cro Cop, Hunt, Arlovski, Sobrol, Coleman I (not 2) & Monson?
  4. Couture - 9 - Vitor x2, Horn, Randleman, Rizzo x2, Liddell, Tito, Gonzaga ( Couture was a 2 division champ)
  5. Jones = 8 – Shogun, Bader, Machida, Vitor, Gus1 (keep an eye on Gus 2), Teix, Lionheart & DC (DC Once… the 2nd one he cheated - (keep an eye on Reyes, & Santos for wins against top competition after fighting Jones)
Note: "Top competition" in my mind requires their opponent to go on after fighting the GOAT to then beat another top contender. So if you have a once great who is in the twilight of his career, a potential GOAT doesn't get a GOAT point for beating them. IE... DC doesn't get a GOAT point for beating Spider.... & neither does Izzy even though Spider is my all time top GOAT pick under my criteria. He was in his twighlight years at that time.

Last edited:
Back