The UFC really screwed Nate over before he beat Conor

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I was looking up some old events and was blown away when I saw his payout for his last fight with Maynard.

Dude was 19 fights into his UFC career, was a top ten ranked LW, had previously challenged for the title against Henderson, and he was making 15/15 to main event a Fight Night card.

This is ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 4.43.18 PM.png

I don't blame him at all for forcing the UFC to come to him after the McGregor fights.

Those payouts in general are terrible, for all the shit people give WME they treat the fighters a hell of a lot better than the Fertittas did.

True ... Nate was making pocket change until Conor.

But the one thing I hate about the fighters once they make big money ... they usually stop fighting as often.

So im happy for the fighters that get paid but also sucks as a fan as they take forever to actually fight someone now.

I was looking up some old events and was blown away when I saw his payout for his last fight with Maynard.

Dude was 19 fights into his UFC career, was a top ten ranked LW, had previously challenged for the title against Henderson, and he was making 15/15 to main event a Fight Night card.

This is ridiculous.

View attachment 790313

I don't blame him at all for forcing the UFC to come to him after the McGregor fights.
I'm not exactly a big defender of the UFC when it comes to fighter pay but IIRC Nate signed a contract with a signing bonus in exchange for a lower show/win pay rate. I remember this coming up when he beat Johnson IIRC.

I'm not exactly a big defender of the UFC when it comes to fighter pay but IIRC Nate signed a contract with a signing bonus in exchange for a lower show/win pay rate. I remember this coming up when he beat Johnson IIRC.
https://www.mmamania.com/2014/4/8/5...ith-eight-fight-contract-tried-to-do-me-dirty

Yeah, I remember that, but the signing bonus wasn't all that much either. He complained about it immediately afterwards.

Also, the UFC basically coerced him into signing the contract because his old one had expired right when he was in position to fight Henderson, and he was only going to get the title shot on their terms.

I also remember Dana gloating about underpaying him because he never thought that Nate could be a draw.

True ... Nate was making pocket change until Conor.

But the one thing I hate about the fighters once they make big money ... they usually stop fighting as often.

So im happy for the fighters that get paid but also sucks as a fan as they take forever to actually fight someone now.
Yeah it sucks that we dont see nate so much anymore but hes been fighting since 2004 so can you really blame him

IDK, people keep pissing on the UFC about pay but at some point, you gotta stop saying they're ripping fighters off. It's pretty clear what fighters get paid these days. Is it a UFC problem or a fighter problem accepting the terms?

Pretty much everyone knows what you're getting to at this point so as long as fighters keep accepting it, it's kinda their problem.

Those payouts in general are terrible, for all the shit people give WME they treat the fighters a hell of a lot better than the Fertittas did.

It's a mixed bag under Endeavor. Baseline purses are higher, but Endeavor actually took a lot of perks away from fighters.

The Fertittas used to throw around money to take care of fighters whom they liked personally or who did something impressive on a card. Now, there's just the OTN bonuses. Granted, backstage bonuses and gifted cars were used to trick fighters into accepting lower pay because they assumed that they'd get taken care off, but those are still perks that are gone now.

The UFC used to provide customized highlight packages to fighters and camps to study their opponents when Zuffa owned it, but Endeavor put a stop to that practice and told fighers to buy Fight Pass memberships if they wanted tape.

Like we saw last weekend, there's no consistency about when fighters get paid "show money." Ed Herman got offered 10% of his purse when his opponent dropped out at the last minute, but guys who lost fights on Yas Island were paid their full purses. Lorenzo always used to take care of guys who showed up and made weight if there was a last minute cancellation. Zuffa also used to pay win bonuses to fighters who were victims of egregious robberies at the hands of the judges.

With the ESPN deal, the few fighters who get PPV points started to get screwed over because the double paywall on ESPN+ lowered PPV buys. ESPN compensates the UFC for the lower buyrate, but none of that money goes to the fighters. This is the reason why Lesnar refused to fight Cormier. He asked for compensation for the lower buyrate, and Dana said no.

It's a mixed bag under Endeavor. Baseline purses are higher, but Endeavor actually took a lot of perks away from fighters.

The Fertittas used to throw around money to take care of fighters whom they liked personally or who did something impressive on a card. Now, there's just the OTN bonuses. Granted, backstage bonuses and gifted cars were used to trick fighters into accepting lower pay because they assumed that they'd get taken care off, but those are still perks that are gone now.

The UFC used to provide customized highlight packages to fighters and camps to study their opponents when Zuffa owned it, but Endeavor put a stop to that practice and told fighers to buy Fight Pass memberships if they wanted tape.

Like we saw last weekend, there's no consistency about when fighters get paid "show money." Ed Herman got offered 10% of his purse when his opponent dropped out at the last minute, but guys who lost fights on Yas Island were paid their full purses. Lorenzo always used to take care of guys who showed up and made weight if there was a last minute cancellation. Zuffa also used to pay win bonuses to fighters who were victims of egregious robberies at the hands of the judges.

With the ESPN deal, the few fighters who get PPV points started to get screwed over because the double paywall on ESPN+ lowered PPV buys. ESPN compensates the UFC for the lower buyrate, but none of that money goes to the fighters. This is the reason why Lesnar refused to fight Cormier. He asked for compensation for the lower buyrate, and Dana said no.

Sure, there's ups and downs but people don't seem to get paid the really terrible money anymore.

I do think performance bonuses should be at least doubled by this point, though.

Not too bothered about the Fight Pass thing, they could give them it for free, but it's not like $10 a month is going to break the bank.

Only added to his kill or be killed mentality against Conor.

There was so much riding on that fight and it's what brought a new level out of Nate.

This is ridiculous.

View attachment 790313

They REALLY screwed all the athletes when you take into account the fact that they took the ability away from them to wear sponsor gear. Some were making quite a bit of money from those deals.

This is ridiculous.

View attachment 790313

Rumor was he got a big signing bonus for that contract. He did sign a terrible contract. He's not the smartest dude but made up for lost time. I think the Conor fights set him up for life. Add the Pettis and Masvidal fight and he beat the game. Good for him, I like his fights.

That's some stingy shit, there.

IDK, people keep pissing on the UFC about pay but at some point, you gotta stop saying they're ripping fighters off. It's pretty clear what fighters get paid these days. Is it a UFC problem or a fighter problem accepting the terms?

Pretty much everyone knows what you're getting to at this point so as long as fighters keep accepting it, it's kinda their problem.

It's a rock and hard place. The fighters are getting screwed, but they'll get punished severely if they try to organize.

The UFC made sure to get rid of Leslie Smith, Kajan Johnson and anybody else who was serious about union organizing.

Also a union or labor association likely isn't going to work in a combat sport to begin with.

At this point, the only hope that the Ali Act legislation is extended to include MMA, which would legally require the UFC to pay a higher share of revenue.

Rumor was he got a big signing bonus for that contract. He did sign a terrible contract. He's not the smartest dude but made up for lost time. I think the Conor fights set him up for life. Add the Pettis and Masvidal fight and he beat the game. Good for him, I like his fights.

I addressed that in a subsequent post. The bonus wasn't that big, and they pressured him to sign it so that he could get his title shot.

Back