Why doesn’t the UFC have a pension plan or Retirement plan for its fighters ?

johnnybeebob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At least financial advisors on how to invest or save to plan for retirement while they are fighting.

I am assuming back end staff have those benefits ?

Cause fighters are independent contractors and not employees of the UFC. There is also no fighters' union to establish and manage things like this on behalf of the fighters. Until that happens, they will continue to be treated like shit (and rightfully so, can't expect the UFC to pay for things that they aren't obligated to pay for).

KeenNearGuanaco-max-1mb.gif

To be honest if I was a UFC owner I'd probably quit and never come back if I had to give retirement plans to "fighters", because as we all know no one retires, occasionally they do, but they would show up in Bellator or ONE or Oscar De La Hoya promotion or some other MMA org. IF they were 80 years old I'd be more willing and open..

How would you manage a pension fund for people who have maybe 1 fight before being cut? And where would their contributions into the fund go? The ufc isn't the NFL. It isn't a lasting career. And im not sure if they still do the fighter summit, but they used to have financial advisors there explaing to the fighters to take care of their money.

How would you manage a pension fund for people who have maybe 1 fight before being cut? And where would their contributions into the fund go? The ufc isn't the NFL. It isn't a lasting career. And im not sure if they still do the fighter summit, but they used to have financial advisors there explaing to the fighters to take care of their money.
The average NFL career is only slightly longer then a MMA fighter in the UFC

no point in giving most athletes a retirement plan cause they'll still find a way to blow it all

Back