DC on why his rivalry with Stipe is bigger than Jon Jones

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Throughout his career, Cormier has been part of some of the biggest moments in MMA history. The portion of his career involving Jon Jones will go down as one of the most venomous feuds the sport has ever seen, and the trilogy with Miocic is shaping up to stand alongside the greatest three-part series of all time.

The fights with Jones might have been bigger and resonated deeper with fans because of the hatred and talent level of the two athletes. The “competitive animosity” with Miocic runs deeper for Cormier, though, and he expects this series to be the defining period of his career.

“I think (this is career defining),” Cormier said. “We had three fights, and I intend on winning the third fight and the trilogy. It will be difficult for me to ever be completely free of that rivalry with Jones because it was so big. We sold so much pay-per-view, and the rivalry was so nasty. We were so nasty with each other, and the general public paid attention. But competitively this is the one that I love, because I’m fighting a guy that has done and stood for the right things and has competed in the right way. Jones is a fantastic competitor, and I feel like still, he brought the best out of me in terms of my preparation. But I believe Stipe Miocic has done the same thing now.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/08/daniel-cormier-ufc-252-defining-moment-stipe-miocic-trilogy

Just the height-for-height GOAT, folks!

Yeah it's bigger because you might be able to say you won it, where you will never be able to say that regarding Jones.

Get those fingers warmed up bud, you'll need them for Stipe

Personally i prefer bad blood rivalries than competitive rivalries. It adds a level of emotion to the fight and you can feel the electricity and tension in the air because you know both guys hate each other guts.

That said competitive rivalries are great too.

Your next fight is always your biggest fight as a fighter.

LMAO Fatty says this because he won one against Stipe while he is still 0-2 against Jones.

He's saying that becuase he knows he cant best jones at this point. Clearly playing nice with jones out of ether pandering to the company or to avoid getting threatened by a POS that disrespectfully threatened to sexually assualt your wife and then procedded to KO you. Pathetic.

What is interesting with the Jones/ Cormier rivalry is that that the animosity between them was real. They didn't do that to make more PPV or bring more interest from the fan. They just don't like each others. You could feel the hatred between them every time that they were put together in the same room.

The Stipe one is more of a rivalry. To quote (paraphrase) DC while he was blubbering after his second Jones loss, it's hard to call it a rivalry when only one guy wins.

As along time Jones 'The Fighter' fan - still more excited for a Stipe/DC rematch. Jones has lost what made him exciting as a fighter and does just enough to grind out wins.

Throughout his career, Cormier has been part of some of the biggest moments in MMA history. The portion of his career involving Jon Jones will go down as one of the most venomous feuds the sport has ever seen, and the trilogy with Miocic is shaping up to stand alongside the greatest three-part series of all time.

The fights with Jones might have been bigger and resonated deeper with fans because of the hatred and talent level of the two athletes. The “competitive animosity” with Miocic runs deeper for Cormier, though, and he expects this series to be the defining period of his career.

“I think (this is career defining),” Cormier said. “We had three fights, and I intend on winning the third fight and the trilogy. It will be difficult for me to ever be completely free of that rivalry with Jones because it was so big. We sold so much pay-per-view, and the rivalry was so nasty. We were so nasty with each other, and the general public paid attention. But competitively this is the one that I love, because I’m fighting a guy that has done and stood for the right things and has competed in the right way. Jones is a fantastic competitor, and I feel like still, he brought the best out of me in terms of my preparation. But I believe Stipe Miocic has done the same thing now.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/08/daniel-cormier-ufc-252-defining-moment-stipe-miocic-trilogy

You left out the most important thing where DC didn't get destroyed in both fights too

Back