Draws in MMA

Sad Dad

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone else think that 10-10 rounds should be handed out more liberally and draws should be much more common? I actually think it would incentivize fighters to take more risks to try and make rounds more decisive. I've definitely noticed a spike lately where fighters will throw pitter-patter and then switch to pure defense if they feel they've done enough to secure the round. It would prevent guys who had super close fights from moving up rankings and would eliminate the "two close rounds one clear round" type dynamic where fighters who clearly lost the fight as a whole are awarded with a win because of a meaningless take down or pushing against the cage. Maybe increasing the win bonus or more POTN type bonuses would help counteract any possible negative effects. I know it's not a super popular opinion but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Mass Effect were great games. Nice av.

I'd rather have a controversial decision than a draw. If draws became more common, which is exactly what would happen in your scenario, it would hold up divisions because every close title fight, or top contender fight would likely end in a draw. At least a bad decision things stay moving.

I'd rather have a controversial decision than a draw. If draws became more common, it would hold up divisions .

draws are real life, and happen in real fights.

rematches over bad decisions hold up divisions just as much.

i prefer a draw to a fighter getting a false win.

Hunt vs Bigfoot was great.

Last edited:
A round with no clear winner should be a 10-10. If it means more Draws, I’m ok with that. Better than pick a winner with a coin flip, which is pretty much what happens when the fight is too close to call.

I agree. If a judge is on the fence as to who won a round, the default should be 10-10.

10-10 should be a 10-10 , not some sort of coin flip win.
The wording in the rules has some shit like "This should rarely be given" which is insane to me.

Draws are fine in a sport where you play regularly. Draws when you fight two times a year are seriously unsatisfying.

Add to that, more draws doesn't mean less controversy whatsoever. It simply means you're now hating on some judge for handing out a 10-10 round when it was clearly 10-9...

HALF POINT SCORING

I agree there should be more 10-10 rounds when a round really is too close.

But most of those rounds could be 10-9.5 rounds

So a fighter who wins one very close round gets 10-9.5, then another controversial round ends up 10-10, and when the other fighter wins round three 10-9, he takes the fight.

Also a round that is "arguably" 10-8, but not good enough for 10-8, could be 10-8.5.

I think this would make overall scoring a lot better, without adding more overall draws.

With only 3-5 rounds, you need scoring with more precision.

I agree

Half point also solve this problem with less probability of draw

Israel vs Yoel should have been a draw.. And then they should have added an Overtime round.

Mass Effect were great games. Nice av.

I'd rather have a controversial decision than a draw. If draws became more common, which is exactly what would happen in your scenario, it would hold up divisions because every close title fight, or top contender fight would likely end in a draw. At least a bad decision things stay moving.
Champ keeps the belt in case of a draw so I don't mind that. but I hear you about the contender fights. I just really would like to see in fight tendencies to shift in a more decisive way because fighters lately are on fucking cruise control half the time and they're rewarded for it. I don't mind if it means things get tied up because I feel the quality of the fights will be better. I definitely get your point though

100% agree.

Preferring draws over controversial decisions is preferring lies over reality.

Sure, draws suck compared to a decisive, definitive win, but you don't always get that without limitless rounds/time. Within those constraints, draws happen A LOT.

Some people just prefer a coin flip and a lie I guess.

My solution to scoring isn't just telling the judges to give more 10-10 rounds - it is to have judges score a round, and score it a draw if they aren't unanimous who won. Always round down towards a "less impressive" score if judges aren't unanimous for a round (10-9/8/7s).

Last edited:
I've never heard about half points, it's a good idea and while I'd prefer them to what we currently have, I still think that there wouldn't be enough of a radical shift to fight strategy. Bring back monetary penalties for inaction lol

The romans had a good idea on how to prevent draws and stalling.

ePiv5be.gif

I think it would produce too much draws, because the situation where you have a close round happens just too often to score it a 10-10. While it takes away a false win, a winner should still be chosen in a close fight which this system probably won't work well for. The core problem is definitely with the scoring systems tho, simply a larger amount of judges or decimal scoring would already help. Just 3 judges with such a limited judging criteria, for such a complex game just isn't going to cut it. It can still work for boxing because it's judged over 10-12 rounds, not just 3.

There needs to be more 10-8 rounds.

The real issue is that there are too many 10-9 rounds, where a guy gets totally mirked.

I want to see more 10-7 and 10-8 rounds.

I also want the winners of a round to be allowed to earn less than 10 points.

I also want point deductions for all eye pokes, groin strikes, and anything else that doesn't directly result in a DQ. The official "first warning" and "second warning" can be given backstage before anyone marches out.

Back