Scoring question Max/Alex

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Do knockdowns not count for shit in MMA scoring? Because the times Max knocked Alex down would have warranted 8 counts in boxing, and be scored as 10-8 rounds. This is what I don’t understand about people saying Alex won the fight. Max had at least two good knockdowns on Alex, both at the end of rounds. In a fight that was very close, this should be the deciding factor. Judges need to be educated on the importance of damage and knockdowns. Not just the numbers side of striking I.e. fightmetric, but the efficiency of strikes landed. There is a reason more people think Max won, most people intrinsically understand the importance of knockdowns even if their understanding of the sport is rudimentary.

Judges for UFC 251 were horrible. I thought Max won the fight, I had him winning 1, 2 and 3. Round 3 was close.

The bigger joke was Muslim Salikhov defeating Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos. One of the worst robberies I have seen in several years. Also, Rose Namajunas clearly won rounds 1 and 2, and lost round 3. No way this was this a split decision win.

Do knockdowns not count for shit in MMA scoring? Because the times Max knocked Alex down would have warranted 8 counts in boxing, and be scored as 10-8 rounds. This is what I don’t understand about people saying Alex won the fight. Max had at least two good knockdowns on Alex, both at the end of rounds. In a fight that was very close, this should be the deciding factor. Judges need to be educated on the importance of damage and knockdowns. Not just the numbers side of striking I.e. fightmetric, but the efficiency of strikes landed. There is a reason more people think Max won, most people intrinsically understand the importance of knockdowns even if their understanding of the sport is rudimentary.
UFC adapted boxing scoring to make it more "legit" but doesn't actually work because
-Longest fights in boxing are up to 12 rounds while in MMA its 5
-There is no 8 count
-Rounds are longer (3 mins vs 5 mins)
-MMA IS NOT BOXING
I don't think its an entirely flawed system but it becomes a game of winning rounds instead of fighting. Which is what the Japanese Market knew was better. Just score the fight as one big blob and have all the stats into one. I don't see the issues here at all.

Personally I think that if you get 1 KD that should solidify a 10-9. 2KD gets you a 10-8 and so on and so forth. But it really matters about how much damage your opponent took and scoring damage is subjective. The second kd of the volk vs max fight was more of alex getting caught running forward which made him unbalanced. He probably didn't take as much damage as people think but only volk knows if those punches really hurt him or not. Nevertheless, the judges have to score based on what they see and what they classify as 'damage' so i'm ok with the decision.

Judges for UFC 251 were horrible. I thought Max won the fight, I had him winning 1, 2 and 3. Round 3 was close.

The bigger joke was Muslim Salikhov defeating Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos. One of the worst robberies I have seen in several years. Also, Rose Namajunas clearly won rounds 1 and 2, and lost round 3. No way this was this a split decision win.

<TrumpWrong1>

Max vs. Volk 2 was a close fight. No robbery in my opinion. I scored for Max but there was no denying that rounds 1 and 2 were clear to Max, rounds 4 and 5 were clear to Volk and 3 was extremely tight.

the shame of it was that Max clearly made some adaptations from the last fight and was throwing kicks and knees instead of just looking to box. Still, Volk showed good adaptability within the fight itself, doing what he needed to turn the momentum into his favor in the latter portions of the fight.

Personally I think that if you get 1 KD that should solidify a 10-9. 2KD gets you a 10-8 and so on and so forth. But it really matters about how much damage your opponent took and scoring damage is subjective. The second kd of the volk vs max fight was more of alex getting caught running forward which made him unbalanced. He probably didn't take as much damage as people think but only volk knows if those punches really hurt him or not. Nevertheless, the judges have to score based on what they see and what they classify as 'damage' so i'm ok with the decision.

It’s the nature of mma scoring, for better or worse, too that 10-8s are few and far between. A textbook 10-8 is like what Petr was noticing against Jose in the last couple of rounds. Substantial damage and one-sided for much of the round’s duration.

Max vs. Volk first two rounds were competitive outside of the knockdowns (not saying max wouldn’t have won them had he not connected there because he had an edge in output but it would have been tougher to score).

The simple fix is for Judges to be held to account for scores. Regardless of the fight, being a title fight or a UFC debut for both fighters on the prelims, bad scoring needs to be pointed out and the specific judge needs to be held to account. This is important as MMA being a Sport wagering is allowed, meaning fixing fights is possible. We know that at least one NBA ref was involved in fixing fights. When a fight is a clear 29-28 for fighter A and one judge scores 30-27 for fighter B, that judge needs to explain themselves and if it happens again they need to be investigated to determine if they are corrupt or simply incompetent. Then they need their license revoked so they never judge a fight again.

Max vs. Volk 2 was a close fight. No robbery in my opinion. I scored for Max but there was no denying that rounds 1 and 2 were clear to Max, rounds 4 and 5 were clear to Volk and 3 was extremely tight.

the shame of it was that Max clearly made some adaptations from the last fight and was throwing kicks and knees instead of just looking to box. Still, Volk showed good adaptability within the fight itself, doing what he needed to turn the momentum into his favor in the latter portions of the fight.
I thought 3 and 5 were clear Volk and round 4 was the toss up

Had it 10-10 personally

I thought 3 and 5 were clear Volk and round 4 was the toss up

Had it 10-10 personally

Have to watch again but I thought most of the rounds were reasonably close but with moments that cemented it for the one guy over the other. At least one of those rounds was up for debate and possibly more.

Boxing doesn't have a ground game and MMA does.

If your glove touches the canvas from being punched, that is a knockdown in boxing.

MMA shouldn't score knockdowns because a fighter could get hit and then pull guard to defend him/herself better at the same time as they are falling or off balance, or get hit and then go for a takedown at the same time they are falling or off balance.
The lines are too blurry.

Also, in boxing if the boxer is using the ropes to help them stay up, it's a knockdown but MMA fighters can do the same with the cage and people wouldn't call it a knockdown.

No way Round 1 or 2 was a 10-8 round. The rounds were very close and Alex was immediately back on his feet and firing back after each knock down. Max deserved both of those rounds 10-9.

Back