Should Conor move back to FW or fight at LW and WW

TheMessiah

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He has a high chance of knocking out Volk. At LW he looked bad against Khabib but he had a 2 year lay off and with better preparation he could probably beat him. Also who knows if Khabib will even be champ after the Gaethje fight. At WW I don't think Usman would be able to keep Conor against the fence. He's also never faced a striker like Conor with distance control

He has a high chance of knocking out Volk. At LW he looked bad against Khabib but he had a 2 year lay off and with better preparation he could probably beat him. Also who knows if Khabib will even be champ after the Gaethje fight. At WW I don't think Usman would be able to keep Conor against the fence. He's also never faced a striker like Conor with distance control
He has zero chance of knocking out Volk at FW because he can't make 145 pounds and hasn't been able to for a long time. And for the record he'd get ragdolled by Usman at WW and likely Khabib again at LW should it ever happen. Best bet for him is to hope Gaethje beats Khabib or that Khabib doesn't fight again/takes an extended period of time off and the UFC makes Gaethje McGregor for the actual belt.

Conor can definitly starch Snoozeman.

Conor has superior Boxing skill than Masvidal, and he will not get stuck on the fence that's for sure.

Conor’s best bet is at lightweight, and possibly welterweight. I don’t see him wanting to cut to 145, or even being able to anymore, seeing how he’s looked like death before and is now a part time fighter. The problem is that he will get out grappled bad by both champions in each of those weight classes.

The good news for Conor is that he doesn’t need to win any fights to get a title shot. So I’m sure he’s hoping Khabib will be out for an extended period, and he can weasel his way into a interim title shot. I don’t think he would want anything to do with Usman or any of the bigger welterweights. So I think he’ll just continue to sit on the sidelines for a title shot or a big money fight, and with the amount of COVID pullouts, he could potentially have more opportunities to jump in and save a card, which would mean more leverage and money. so if he’s serious about fighting still, it behooves him to stay in shape and be ready.

Conor: I can't make 145 any more.

Kavanaugh: Conor can't make 145 any more.

TS: Hurr durrrr Conor make 145

After watching the fight last night, Conor can’t beat Usman. If you think Usman was worried about standing with Masvidal for a prolonged period, he wouldn’t even entertain it at all with Conor.

He could probably make FW if he wanted to, but why would he want to? He’s undefeated there and has beaten the two greatest featherweights of all time. He has nothing to prove there.

He is elite at LW. I know he has two fights, but he demolished a prime Alvarez. He also gave Khabib his toughest fight despite it being a terrible matchup for him, and him coming off a two year lay off with apparently a injured foot and being an alcoholic. Deny it if you want, but if McGregor is on point and ready, he can be champ at 155.

If he wants to go on a run and actually defend his belt, 155 is his best chance to do that. If he can get past Khabib, he has it pretty easy stylistically IMO. Dustin, Justin, Tony, Hooker, Oliveira and Felder have nothing for him. He could get 3 or so title defenses in, get everyone talking about his second run, fight the trilogy with Diaz as his retirement fight and everyone will be putting him in the GOAT conversation.

After watching the fight last night, Conor can’t beat Usman. If you think Usman was worried about standing with Masvidal for a prolonged period, he wouldn’t even entertain it at all with Conor.

He could probably make FW if he wanted to, but why would he want to? He’s undefeated there and has beaten the two greatest featherweights of all time. He has nothing to prove there.

He is elite at LW. I know he has two fights, but he demolished a prime Alvarez. He also gave Khabib his toughest fight despite it being a terrible matchup for him, and him coming off a two year lay off with apparently a injured foot and being an alcoholic. Deny it if you want, but if McGregor is on point and ready, he can be champ at 155.

If he wants to go on a run and actually defend his belt, 155 is his best chance to do that. If he can get past Khabib, he has it pretty easy stylistically IMO. Dustin, Justin, Tony, Hooker, Oliveira and Felder have nothing for him. He could get 3 or so title defenses in, get everyone talking about his second run, fight the trilogy with Diaz as his retirement fight and everyone will be putting him in the GOAT conversation.

And then you woke up, and Conor is still retired, still 1-1 at Lightweight, still 1-1 with Nate, still tweeting instead of fighting, and still only has a few top 10 wins.

Great fantasy, though. You should turn it into a romance novel. Call it "The Retired Irishmen Fixed My Plumbing".

And then you woke up, and Conor is still retired, still 1-1 at Lightweight, still 1-1 with Nate, still tweeting instead of fighting, and still only has a few top 10 wins.

Great fantasy, though. You should turn it into a romance novel. Call it "The Retired Irishmen Fixed My Plumbing".

I bet you were one of those people that thought Askren could be UFC champ.

If Conor stays retired everyone will lose interest in MMA and the sport will die within year or two

I knew this thread was coming even though Conor is retired.
No way in hell is he ever going to cut down to FW again. It would take him a full year of prep/dieting to even stand a chance of making weight and he's not getting any younger. With that said, I do think that he can put every FW down.
Also, I'm sure he'd get a shot at Usman if he wanted it, but he doesn't. That fight would go pretty much like every other fight Usmans had so far except that Conor would gas and crumble under pressure sooner.
Literally his only chance of touching a belt again is the unlikely scenario of Gaethje becoming the undisputed champ. With that said, we don't know what's happening with Khabib right now (he might never fight again or retire after his next fight) ,another year will have gone by with no interesting fights on the table so in all likelihood, Conor stays retired.

I bet you were one of those people that thought Askren could be UFC champ.

Nice straw man. Check my post history to see how I feel about Asscan.

But I know why you replied with such a weak retort. You have no answer for facts.

Fact. Conor is 1-1 at lightweight, and the dude he beat is getting destroyed by bums in the D leagues.

Fact. Conor is 1-1 with Nate, barely winning a majority decision after getting brutally finished in the first fight.

Fact. Conor is retired.

Fact. Conor only has a few top 10 wins.

We good here, Joshy?

If Conor stays retired everyone will lose interest in MMA and the sport will die within year or two
I doubt it would die out, but the casuals would stop watching it. Which is great because these guys have been watching mma since recently and think they know everything

Conor has hit a wall at 172 walk around. Lol , hes just not good enough to hold a high rank at welter in the year 2020. Hes not going back to 145. Hes worked too hard to put on the weight he has and suffers from napoleon complex to begin with. Hes a top 155er so he'll stay retired, stay at 155( where he belongs) or he'll be fed another free meal agsinst ANOTHER lightweight where they dont have to cut weight and call it a 170 fight. It's only 15 -17 pounds but I really think Conor - at this point- doesn't even want to go through a mild cut like that.
I'm sure he realizes hes privileged- hes financially set and still company's top draw so he can call his own shots or stay away. This is the truth and unless khabib loses or retires , Conor McGregor wont wear another UFC title. If I'm wrong , this can be bumped and I'll sing a different tune. I cant hold a tune but I'm not worried here.

I doubt it would die out, but the casuals would stop watching it. Which is great because these guys have been watching mma since recently and think they know everything

That's exactly the type of guy you're replying to.

"Conor 2.0 would destroy Jon Jones" type of dork.

cant belive people actully think he would beat usman let alone masvidal its getting ridiculous
blah blah superior boxing yawwwnn
conor wants nothing to do with the top ten at WW

Back