Nate's Boxing Is So Overrated

AminoAcid

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The supremacy of Nate Diaz's boxing relative to his peers is perhaps the biggest myth on Sherdog history (okay not really, but it is still untruthful).

For some reason, people mistakenly assume boxing to be a simple act of throwing hands. This however, is not the case.

Boxing is much more than just spamming the 1 and 2. Footwork, striking defense, bobbing/weaving, countering, etc etc, all play an integral part of being a 'good' boxer.

Nate's striking defense is non-existent - unless you count blocking punches with your face as striking defense.

Nate's footwork is absolutely horrendous - he uses his upper body to throw punches, hardly ever getting any torque from his legs.

Nate doesn't bob, weave or counter - instead he stands upright and takes punches to the dome.

Yes, MMA boxing is different from regular boxing and often times a traditional boxing stance is a negative in this sport. That however, does not explain the lack of striking defense nor the lack of footwork.

But yes, Nate does have a splendid 1, 2.

<36>

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, I know this is coming

SMMHmG2S0WPp9Lc050HR5o5R7rtvAaxHaANmuI6Y2PA.gif

I agree.
We both have to admit something though.
He looks uncoordinated, slow and sloppy, but somehow he manages to light a lot of people up.

Overrated? Yes.
Effective? Yes.

He looks so goofy and i laugh watching him throw hands. Everything he does in a fight looks like it shouldn't work, but it usually does.

When they are talking about his boxing skills they are merely referring to his ability to check leg kicks .

It's akward and fun to watch tough! But yeah i agree i dont get it either, he's good at rolling with the punch got nice hands but he's so slow and immobile.. i would say poirier boxing look way better maybe if i was a boxer i would get it

Tremendous 1-2.

His head movement gets better as the fight goes on. Or maybe, his opponents get slower as he outworks them. Or they don’t, and it just takes him a few minutes to get their timing down.

He and his brother never learned to cut off the octagon. They grew up with a mentality that fighters eagerly engaged, and never learned how to deal with fighters who are more picky with their shots. To their professional detriment.

But the fact is, he beats his opponents through pugilism. And a tremendous 1-2 is in fact good enough to put him in a category of "great MMA boxing", IMO. He's certainly no Mousasi though, on that we agree.

Last edited:
Completely agree.

Not that he's a scrub, or that his striking (mainly all boxing) is bad, but he's totally overrated by fans. It's easy to prove just how overrated his striking is:

Name every top 10 LW and WW right now. How many is Diaz clearly better than striking? How many is he arguably better than? And how many is he better than that aren't clear wrestlers/grapplers?

Nate probably gets destroyed by McGregor, Porier, Gaehtje, Ferguson, Hooker, probably Felder, at LW.

At WW he gets destroyed by everyone besides Maia and Chiesa probably in the top 10, assuming it's 75-100% stand up.

Doesn't he just basically spam 1-2s?

I agree, he does look slow and gets hit alot but Andre Ward thinks he's pretty good and he knows boxing...inb4 you people claim he is just being nice......Maybe he is hyping him up a bit cuz they are bois, but he still spars with him, his skills must be pretty good.

Last edited:
his defensive boxing is not good at all. he eats a lot of shots. and yea most of his punches are thrown with just his upper body, but nate is rarely trying to throw full power shots.

In addition to his 1-2 his check hook is also on the money and he spammed it on Conor a few times even before Conor ran out of gas. I think his speed is also deceiving , fresh round 1 Michael Johnson is fast as hell and Nate rolled a lot of his shots and also beat him to the punch (although admittedly not as often as he did in rounds 2&3).

Nick's is definately better though, he did a lot of good work in the Silva fight but that was overlooked because people just remember his clowning. Nick put some beautiful body to head combos together in that fight.

Back