Funniest comment I've seen Dana make in awhile

Dirge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

4:16 of video.

He states clearly, "these guys are independent contractors, they can do whatever they want"

Under US labor law in order to retain independent contractor status for the purposes of taxes (amongst other things), an independent contractor HAS to have the ability to work for multiple employers. Co-employment law in the US has really cracked down on this over the last year and a half.

And yet the UFC contract directly contravene this with their exclusivity language.

And yet somehow the UFC has circumvented the changes in the laws. If you are only working for a single employer for an extended period of time, you are by default in the US (laws here in Canada are much laxer) not an independent contractor and cannot claim said status.

There are good reasons for this. The temp staffing industry was part of the reason for the changes. Employers were hiring temps, defining them as independent contractors and then not providing basic benefits, and retaining the right to terminate employment at any time without severance. They would keep these temps on hire indefinitely (often for years) without ever converting them to full time employees because its a lot cheaper to leave them as independent contractors. The US gov't cracked down big time on this and Canada is following suit.

So how the hell is the UFC bypassing this legislation?

Clearly you’re smarter than the lawyers of a multi-billion dollar firm in WME. You should report this to your congressman.

Clearly you can't see that I am Canadian... smart guy. Congressman?

And I was in the staffing industry for quite awhile, as such I am quite familiar with labor law in Canada and the US as my clients (BMO for example) had North American contracts.

clown-dana.jpg

Good old Rob would have fixed this mess asap

sarah_thomson_and_rob_ford_1.jpg

Lol, he was an idiot. Our own Canadian "Donald Trump"...

As I noted thought, co-employment laws here are very lax. The US is leading the way with much needed co-employment reforms.

Mind you Canadian employers statistically are 75% more likely to convert a contractor to a permanent employee than US employers are.

Mind you Canadian employers statistically are 75% more likely to convert a contractor to a permanent employee than US employers are.

Crazy difference.
I guess Canadian contractors are not as poor workers as the USA fatties are

Crazy difference.
I guess Canadian contractors are not as poor workers as the USA fatties are

Different work environment. My clients were the Canadian banks and they loved to convert over contractors. The contractors were typically the ones that weren't interested because there is always shortages of skilled labor here. We had IT guys going out at 250 bucks an hour and they would hold out for more money... They had no interest in being perm employees.

In the US there are more workers than jobs in a lot of industries. And the companies there tend to be a lot more cutthroat in how they treat their people

Trades can make really good money here, as long as they keep putting in hours and upgrading their tickets

Trades are different though. First off in the US they are frequently in unions that protect their rights, second if you are a licensed tradesman, you have all kinds of work available. Same goes here in canada. however, a tradesman here can be an independent contractor or an employee.

In the US that's changing as many try to retain the IC status for tax purposes while working for a single employer.

I would have been honoured

there is a video floating around of Rob snorting coke off a stripper's ass at the brass rail a few years ago.

I had my team there for a "teambuilding" event a few days after and the strippers were telling the story to pretty much everyone. one of them leaked the video but it got tromped.

Back