GSP could easily fight into his mid-40's, it helps his legacy.

Papa Doc

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I mean, I don't see GSP fighting at age 45 but if Conor's stock is still high in 2-3 years I can fully see a 41-42 year old GSP coming out of retirement for this mega fight.

One huge knock against GSP's legacy is he left the sport early. If he's able to win some big fights against current or former champs like Khabib or Conor the variable of competitive longevity will be added to his portfolio.

He's taken minimal damage the past 7 years and if you check his social media presence the guy is in top shape and trains daily.

How many more times do you see GSP fighting in the UFC? I think 1-3 times between now and 2026 only against current or former champions or a former legend like a Nick Diaz rematch.

He's done it seems. We lost a lot of potentially great fights with him leaving so early.

If only there were an easier way to help his legacy like fighting in his mid 30s or something.

Age is on a curve in the UFC. Hard to reach the top much younger than 30 and we've seen so many people contend at ages they'd be making history in other sports the age argument is getting old. GSP retired at his peak after winning the most controversial title shot ever to a guy whose mediocre at best to the fighters at WW today. GSP said he doesn't like to fight and fighters don't retire on top at 32 in this sport especially in the manner GSP did if they had interest in fighting into their 40s.

Last edited:
He is in th debate for GOAT by any reputable source. When has it ever been a good idea for an athlete to come out of retirement in their 40s to build on their legacy?

The amount of times that has held true are FAR out numbered by the amount of times it has not.

gsp would take the fight with conor any time

His legacy is fine. And more importantly, he seems to still have his health. He has more money than he needs. He did everything according to a plan, and owes nothing to the sport. Covid probably sealed the fact that GSP is retired for good. And I’m fine with that.

He would lose sooner rather than later tbh.

I mean, I don't see GSP fighting at age 45 but if Conor's stock is still high in 2-3 years I can fully see a 41-42 year old GSP coming out of retirement for this mega fight.

One huge knock against GSP's legacy is he left the sport early. If he's able to win some big fights against current or former champs like Khabib or Conor the variable of competitive longevity will be added to his portfolio.

He's taken minimal damage the past 7 years and if you check his social media presence the guy is in top shape and trains daily.

How many more times do you see GSP fighting in the UFC? I think 1-3 times between now and 2026 only against current or former champions or a former legend like a Nick Diaz rematch.

Be careful what you wish for.

Imagine how much different some of your favorite fighters legacies would be had they not stuck around too long.

Imagine if this was Chucks last fight:
ChuckVSTito80cec37acf47082a.gif

And not this:
92vpvddqsf021.gif

For reference. Me watching Chuck Tito III
source.gif

I tend to agree that physically, GSP doesn't have too much mileage on him. However, I don't particularly view age as the limiting factor. I feel it more so is about how many years one has been training. Some fighters will retire from the sport before 30 (such as Joe Stevenson), because they started at such a young age and accumulated so much damage and mental straining. Other persons such as Randy Couture or Dan Severn will start their careers in their mid 30s and have a lot left in them. There are obviously exceptions of fighters who start and end their careers early or who start early and end late, but that is what I have generally noticed following the sport.

I tend to agree that physically, GSP doesn't have too much mileage on him. However, I don't particularly view age as the limiting factor. I feel it more so is about how many years one has been training. Some fighters will retire from the sport before 30 (such as Joe Stevenson), because they started at such a young age and accumulated so much damage and mental straining. Other persons such as Randy Couture or Dan Severn will start their careers in their mid 30s and have a lot left in them. There are obviously exceptions of fighters who start and end their careers early or who start early and end late, but that is what I have generally noticed following the sport.
Would you favour him in fighting with Khabib or Conor?

He owes it to all of us to fight until he keeps getting beat

He won the middleweight title in his mid-late thirties. Pretty impressive IMO. n

Look at the top 10 and tell me how many of those guys the champ would beat? who wasn't in the top 10 almost beat him again. Bisping(who might have been the best MW at times earlier and was unlucky to not get a shot earlier) got his shot beating AS who was in a title elim coming back from a long break as a sign of respect not merit(not saying AS was washed just he wasn't a match for the newer old people who hadn't been in the UFC before). He then got a KO over the champ whod already beaten him in flukey matter and beat another guy outside the top 10 based on past history.

Despite fighting a MW champ most thought wasn't close to the best MW(it wasn't an easy win either for GSP) and getting the belt he then ditched the fights that would actually be an accomplishment which he'd be expected to lose. Which top 5 guys you think GSP would beat. Someone on another thread was complaining about Mousasi not getting a title shot, dude was barely top 5. You think GSP would beat Mousasi? How about Whittaker? Romero? Jacare? There's some lower level guys at MW like Branch and Thiago Santos who were just overshadowed by how stacked the division was who also could have beaten GSP.

Belts have meaning because it means you're the best. The way GSP won that belt makes it look oppurtunistic to become a "champ champ" by beating a champ. AS did the same shit with Forrest except he was an ex champ. Forrest got lucky to be in that spot and AS took advantage of an easy way to prove he could be an elite LHW without beating a real elite LHW. Tbf to GSP when he was champ I DO think he could have beat elite MW's. And the Bisping fight proves that with difficulty he could have. But he'd be embarassed fighting modern WW's given what Hendricks did to him nm MW's. Being clever and trying to take oppurtunities where reward is greater than risk isn't the same as organically earning a shot and defending the belt. Tried to do the same thing with Khabib(undefeated but LW and GSP's used to fighting the best grapplers great matchup for him).

GSP taking a shot from people with 5,8,9 fight win streaks, ex champs etc then refusing to fight them cause he knows he'd lose just made it clear the people accusing him of ducking the WW division were right by doing it again. And then tried it a third time cause if the first 2 didn't make it clear.

People attacking GSP's fight style for being too cautious after Serra(tbh started later he wasn't boring against Fitch and Penn) and boring were being unreasonable. Cause I think that argument is lazy and is unfair to lay and pray fighters just cause their skills are unmarketable, it's a sport not the WWE.

But the stuff he did at the end of his 2 careers retiring to duck fights he'd lose while returning for unearned title shots at winnable belts makes that lazy narrative just seem like it was the truth all along. He tried to repeat the same trick a third time and become triple champ at LW! Guys trying to poach belts off the memory of a title run that ended with him ducking Johnny fucking Hendricks. We debate whether long running champs get "instant rematches". And while they 100% do, since when did that logic apply to getting highly coveted title shots in different divisions years after the fact. He didn't earn that title.

Last edited:
Back