Why USA is not as good in the female divisions?

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Watching the poster of UFC 250, they put it as Brazil vs Canada

So I'm realizing that USA is not as good with female fighters as they're with male fighters. Why is that?
Is it maybe something cultural? I'm wondering because USA has all to get elite fighters (as the do in the male side), they have the money, the population, the platform, the popularity, they even had a huge mma female star.

145lbs division doesn't have any american figther.
135lbs division the best ranked is Holly Holm
125lbs division the best ranked is Jessica Eye
115lbs division the best ranked is Rose Namajunas

They (Holm, Eye and Namajunas) have something in common, they all got KTFO last year by fighters from other countries.

When USA is gonna have a female champion again? While in the male division they have like 3 champs and they have a lot of options to keep getting champs, in the female divisions it seems like they won't get any champ anytime soon.The best chance they have is Namajunas but it's still difficult.

So what's the reason? the culture? or just the girls from other countries like Brazil are another kind of beasts? Or what's that?

Ronda, Tate, Holm, Rose, Carano,etc

There’s been plenty of great American fighters, it wasn’t that long ago Cat Zingano smashed nunes.

Rousey, Carano and Tate were overrated, they all were retired.
Holm is overrated as well and she will never be a champ again. Zingano won't be a champ either. (Probably both of them are going to retire soon).

Rose is the only one who got the most chance, but it's still difficult.

Holm is overrated as well and she will never be a champ again. Zingano won't be a champ either. (Probably both of them are going to retire soon).

the trolling needs to be a little less obvious
<6>

*Dern has potential. But the unifying theme I see with the foreign fighters is striking. I think most of the US women come largely from grappling/wrestling backgrounds and don't have the caliber of striking. Pretty much all the girls I've seen on regional circuits in the US are grapplers converted to MMA fighters, vice having that real strong striking background. In today's MMA, you obviously need everything, but striking has become probably even moreso integral than in the past. The fight starts standing, and getting to the fight to the ground is far more difficult in this context. Even Dern has said as much. Add in striker range control and good footwork, and it really becomes a force to reckon with. In the US, kickboxing has very low popularity compared to Europe and Asia so that's part of why you'd see less females from that background in the US.

Last edited:

Are Nunes and Zhang going to be overrated when they lose?

*Dern has potential. But the unifying theme I see with the foreign fighters is striking. I think most of the US women come largely from grappling/wrestling backgrounds and don't have the caliber of striking. Pretty much all the girls I've seen on regional circuits in the US are grapplers converted to MMA fighters, vice having that real strong striking background. In today's MMA, you obviously need everything, but striking has become probably even moreso integral than in the past. The fight starts standing, and getting to the fight to the ground is far more difficult in this context. Even Dern has said as much. Add in striker range control and good footwork, and it really becomes a force to reckon with. In the US, kickboxing has very low popularity compared to Europe and Asia so that's part of why you'd see less females from that background in the US.

That makes sense.

The only good response so far buddy

There's no real organized women's combat sports in the US. There's no national Muay Thai or kickboxing organization, boxing is still in the early stages of getting its shit together, wrestling is nowhere near as popular or available as it is on the men's side, so all you're really left with is Judo and BJJ. And even then the quality is going to depend a lot on the region.

If we look at Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, China, and the former Soviet nations, many of them have a national program for their combat sports. There's national kickboxing, boxing, Judo, and Muay Thai federations all over the place which hold regular competitions and provide resources for coaching & developing fighters. There's more opportunities for women to get into combat sports, get training & experience in competitions, and get good.

There's no real organized women's combat sports in the US. There's no national Muay Thai or kickboxing organization, boxing is still in the early stages of getting its shit together, wrestling is nowhere near as popular or available as it is on the men's side, so all you're really left with is Judo and BJJ. And even then the quality is going to depend a lot on the region.

If we look at Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, China, and the former Soviet nations, many of them have a national program for their combat sports. There's national kickboxing, boxing, Judo, and Muay Thai federations all over the place which hold regular competitions and provide resources for coaching & developing fighters. There's more opportunities for women to get into combat sports, get training & experience in competitions, and get good.
This. There's a seriousness to the training when there's a larger training structure vs. people entering as hobbyists. Look at American high school wrestling.

So I'm realizing that USA is not as good with female fighters as they're with male fighters. Why is that?
Is it maybe something cultural? I'm wondering because USA has all to get elite fighters (as the do in the male side), they have the money, the population, the platform, the popularity, they even had a huge mma female star.

They (Holm, Eye and Namajunas) have something in common, they all got KTFO last year by fighters from other countries.

When USA is gonna have a female champion again? While in the male division they have like 3 champs and they have a lot of options to keep getting champs, in the female divisions it seems like they won't get any champ anytime soon.The best chance they have is Namajunas but it's still difficult.

So what's the reason? the culture? or just the girls from other countries like Brazil are another kind of beasts? Or what's that?
I don't think the gap you are imagining even exists at all.

If she heals up from her neck injury any time soon, Suarez is the uncrowned champ at 115 IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back