A Look into the UFC's current situation

90'SFAN-L80'SMAN

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
With everything going on right now, Dana, WME, and the UFC are facing some real concerns and there is an awful lot on their plate at the moment. Let's take a look at things they must consider and maybe some other posters can help move this conversation along...

- Covid 19 Outbreak (roughly $250 million in losses)
- Ferguson vs Khabib (roughly $37.5-$167.5 million in PPV losses)
- Khabib's dad (potential loss if Khabib retires/$37.5-$167.5mil per PPV)
- Cejudo Retired (losing solid draw/$20mil+ per PPV)
- Miocic (2-3 more fights/retirement/loss of draw/$20mil+ per PPV)
- Cormier (2-3 more fights/retirement/loss of draw/$20mil+ per PPV)
- Jones (HW?/slower/less effective/loss to Ngannou = loss in interest)
- Nunes (3-5 more fights/retirement/loss of draw/$20mil+ per PPV)
- McGregor (being coddled/protected from losses/could be done mentally)

...of course these fighters don't make up EVERY bit of the money made from PPV cards as other fighters are on the cards as well, however they are the main attraction and carry the vast majority of the load. So maybe deduct a small percentage for pre-lims through co-main fights/fighters.

Still, that is a lot for the UFC to take on right now and there is probably much more to consider on UFC's plate. I will add more later and update/correct this post as we discuss.

Last edited:
lol where are those numbers coming from ?

pulling the reported PPV numbers of past events prior to the ESPN deal as well as averaging them with numbers reported since the ESPN deal.

If you can provide better numbers I would be glad to update the OP. Either way the main point here is that the UFC/WME/Dana are currently going through much more than they usually have to deal with and it's all happening in a 3 month window.

source.gif

pulling the reported PPV numbers of past events prior to the ESPN deal as well as averaging them with numbers reported since the ESPN deal.

If you can provide better numbers I would be glad to update the OP. Either way the main point here is that the UFC/WME/Dana are currently going through much more than they usually have to deal with and it's all happening in a 3 month window.

So, you're basically pulling numbers straight out of your ass?

I don't have any numbers, so do you ...

Covid19 is a huge concern for the UFC like most other activities.

Those fighters retiring is much less of an issue because new ones will arise with similar or better drawing power (e.g., Adesanya, Ngannou, Zhang, Gaethje, etc). I have no idea where the numbers come from or whether they are realistic.

well I never said I had the correct numbers to begin with, I just said ur pulling numbers out ur ass without any source whatsoever.

Now get lost, UFC aint dying anytime soon.

Well if you're gonna attempt to correct someone then do it, don't raise your hand and drop jaw. Also, I am not one of the UFC haters that want or wish for it to go out of business. I've been supporting UFC since the very beginning. I just thought it would be a very interesting discussion. If you are not interested then maybe it's you who should cease frequenting this thread?

Covid19 is a huge concern for the UFC like most other activities.

Those fighters retiring is much less of an issue because new ones will arise with similar or better drawing power (e.g., Adesanya, Ngannou, Zhang, Gaethje, etc). I have no idea where the numbers come from or whether they are realistic.

Fair enough.I was figuring this much as it's the UFC's business model in a nutshell however will the UFC have enough firepower in the wings to replace the names mentioned or will it fall slightly shorter than the current star power they have readily available?

I took the PPV numbers before and after the ESPN deal that have been reported in direct connection to each of the fighters listed names in which they headlined and averaged them out to roughly anywhere between a worst of 250k to a max or best of 2-2.5mil (accounting for possible growth as well as the sport gains more exposure and interest).

It's just a rough estimate but somewhere to begin discussions. As I said I'm more than willing to listen to numbers others may have arrived at and how they arrived at those numbers but until then this is all we have to go by and it's just an idea to open talks.

Last edited:
Well if you're gonna attempt to correct someone then do it, don't raise your hand and drop jaw. Also, I am not one of the UFC haters that want or wish for it to go out of business. I've been supporting UFC since the very beginning. I just thought it would be a very interesting discussion. If you are not interested then maybe it's you who should cease frequenting this thread?
the idea of ur thread is interesting, what is wrong is ur numbers, u don't get it ?

the idea of ur thread is interesting, what is wrong is ur numbers, u don't get it ?

That's fair enough so help me acquire the numbers necessary or continue to just be a critic rather than a solution.

Back