Matchups that fall through: ducking or money? (long read)

slicebergjim

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I kind of get the impression that there's a lot more going on behind the schemes than we know regarding the matchmaking drama we've seen over the last couple weeks. Sure, it's been like this since forever, but the pandemic has shifted some of the attention from actual fights to "talking about fights" and possible matchups. There simply are less fights to look forward to.

I very much doubt that most professional fighters would be afraid to fight fighter X or Y. For example; why would a guy like Jorge Masvidal be afraid of fighting Usman? He's had more than 45 professional fights, why would he be afraid of a (albeit very strong) wrestler without legit KO power that's just gonna lay on him and grind?

I get that it's a fun narrative for us to talk about fighter X ducking fighter Y, but let's face it: to be a successful professional fighter you've gotta believe you're the best. The only exception to this would perhaps be the heavyweight division scared to face Francis Ngannou, who can separate you from your consciousness in seconds.

What seems more obvious to me is that fighters are overvaluing themselves (from the perspective of Dana White) when doing business with the UFC. But note: (most) UFC fighters are getting chronically underpaid. They have an idea of what they should earn (in an ideal world), but Dana will not budge.

Everyone is chasing the big paycheck (and rightfully so), but the UFC just pays peanuts compared to let's say, boxing. The Reebok deal for a large part fucked up additional income from sponsorships, fighters are for the most part living from A) show/win money, B) occasional performance bonuses and C) social media. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing anything.

With the pandemic for a large part ruling out options A and B, fighters have to resort to C. We see a lot of calling out but no fights being made. Fighters are using option C to try to increase the value of a future option A.

Paige VanZant told the media that she's making more money from Instagram than fighting in the UFC. Being an Insta thot just works in this day and age, I can't really hate on the hustle. However, it's a lot harder for male fighters to monetize this platform. It's easy for chicks like PVZ and let's say Rachael Ostovich simply cause they've got banging bodies. They "sell nudity", male fighters can't do that.

I think fighters as individuals are trying to get more money because they feel they should. MMA is a very popular sport but the overall paychecks just suck balls, especially if you're looking at the profession to provide for you and your family post-retirement.

That's why I feel matchups not being made largely isn't due to fighters ducking, but them refusing to fight for small amounts of money. As long as fighters don't get paid more and have limited options for other income in the business, we will see more and more fights falling through by failed negotiations.

And that's largely due to the greed of Dana White and the UFC. They could easily cut down on paying celebrities to show up to events (especially now) to pay fighters more. That, and the ridiculous Reebok deal needs to fucking go. I'll admit though, I haven't been following the sport long enough to know more about fighter pay before the Reebok deal, so if anyone has information on this, please share.

Our Heavyweight champion is a part-time fucking firefighter. Can you imagine Mike Tyson in the 80's fucking up Buster Douglas and having to hop in a firetruck the following days?

Discuss

Yeah fighters are underpaid in comparison to other sports. They really should pay fighters more cause its all starting to look like WWE. Everyone tries to trashtalk etc. Most of the time its cringe af. The only advantage of reebok (expect some little bonus) is that fighters doesnt look like a nascar race cars. I think they should make new rebook shorts with some small spots for sponsorships.

And about that male nudity. If they want, they can. Just look at his guy. Sexy af
conor-mcgregor-irish-ufc-mma-fighter-naked-in-epsn-magazine-august-2016-2.jpg

I kind of get the impression that there's a lot more going on behind the schemes than we know regarding the matchmaking drama we've seen over the last couple weeks. Sure, it's been like this since forever, but the pandemic has shifted some of the attention from actual fights to "talking about fights" and possible matchups. There simply are less fights to look forward to.

I very much doubt that most professional fighters would be afraid to fight fighter X or Y. For example; why would a guy like Jorge Masvidal be afraid of fighting Usman? He's had more than 45 professional fights, why would he be afraid of a (albeit very strong) wrestler without legit KO power that's just gonna lay on him and grind?

I get that it's a fun narrative for us to talk about fighter X ducking fighter Y, but let's face it: to be a successful professional fighter you've gotta believe you're the best. The only exception to this would perhaps be the heavyweight division scared to face Francis Ngannou, who can separate you from your consciousness in seconds.

What seems more obvious to me is that fighters are overvaluing themselves (from the perspective of Dana White) when doing business with the UFC. But note: (most) UFC fighters are getting chronically underpaid. They have an idea of what they should earn (in an ideal world), but Dana will not budge.

Everyone is chasing the big paycheck (and rightfully so), but the UFC just pays peanuts compared to let's say, boxing. The Reebok deal for a large part fucked up additional income from sponsorships, fighters are for the most part living from A) show/win money, B) occasional performance bonuses and C) social media. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing anything.

With the pandemic for a large part ruling out options A and B, fighters have to resort to C. We see a lot of calling out but no fights being made. Fighters are using option C to try to increase the value of a future option A.

Paige VanZant told the media that she's making more money from Instagram than fighting in the UFC. Being an Insta thot just works in this day and age, I can't really hate on the hustle. However, it's a lot harder for male fighters to monetize this platform. It's easy for chicks like PVZ and let's say Rachael Ostovich simply cause they've got banging bodies. They "sell nudity", male fighters can't do that.

I think fighters as individuals are trying to get more money because they feel they should. MMA is a very popular sport but the overall paychecks just suck balls, especially if you're looking at the profession to provide for you and your family post-retirement.

That's why I feel matchups not being made largely isn't due to fighters ducking, but them refusing to fight for small amounts of money. As long as fighters don't get paid more and have limited options for other income in the business, we will see more and more fights falling through by failed negotiations.

And that's largely due to the greed of Dana White and the UFC. They could easily cut down on paying celebrities to show up to events (especially now) to pay fighters more. That, and the ridiculous Reebok deal needs to fucking go. I'll admit though, I haven't been following the sport long enough to know more about fighter pay before the Reebok deal, so if anyone has information on this, please share.

Our Heavyweight champion is a part-time fucking firefighter. Can you imagine Mike Tyson in the 80's fucking up Buster Douglas and having to hop in a firetruck the following days?

Discuss

I think it's a bit of both. I think it's a fallacy to suggest that just because people fight for a living that they can't be scared of an opponent. Woodley ducked Lombard hard and it wasn't a secret (as an example).

I think that fighters are rating their star power a bit too highly (Masvidal vs Usman) and pricing themselves out of a career high payday.

When anyone says 'it's not about the money' - it's usually about the money. I'm interested in what everyone pays (or doesn't pay) to watch mma around the world, so feel free to comment.

In North America the UFC puts its best cards behind numerous paywalls and runs fighter negotiations more like public relations than professional sports. No current big name fighters with leverage publicly discuss a pay cut in favor of collective bargaining.

I'm comfortable paying for ESPN+ for ease of access with little buffering of live events and Fight Pass for the library & live events like Invicta. The rates feel reasonable and I support it because I love it. I'm reluctant to spend $70 for every pay per view card that's easy to find elsewhere or wait & watch later.

Interested in what happens after the current ESPN deal expires. Something's got to give for the fans or their numbers will dwindle. Something akin to Netflix or Disney+ charging around $100 / year for tons of content. Or the NBA & other sports tolerating live streaming to expand its demographic and not alienate its most loyal fans.

I think it's a bit of both. I think it's a fallacy to suggest that just because people fight for a living that they can't be scared of an opponent. Woodley ducked Lombard hard and it wasn't a secret (as an example).

I think that fighters are rating their star power a bit too highly (Masvidal vs Usman) and pricing themselves out of a career high payday.
Beating Lombard has little to no value at any point in his career.

I definitely don't think Masvidal is afraid of the physical pain of fighting Usman, what is being speculated (not saying I agree) is that Masvidal is afraid of losing his momentum and star status by losing to Usman.

Isn't capitalism you getting paid what you're worth? If you aren't getting paid what you're worth, you probably haven't done enough to deserve so.

Isn't capitalism you getting paid what you're worth? If you aren't getting paid what you're worth, you probably haven't done enough to deserve so.
So in capitalism being underpaid never happens?

It happens if you deserve it.

Sure in some philosophical views, for example one combining pure capitalism and Max Weber's theories of the protestant work ethic. Most systems gravitate toward a mixed economy. Where some are more equal than others.

Interested in what happens after the current ESPN deal expires. Something's got to give for the fans or their numbers will dwindle. Something akin to Netflix or Disney+ charging around $100 / year for tons of content. Or the NBA & other sports tolerating live streaming to expand its demographic and not alienate its most loyal fans.

I think at the moment UFC is using ESPN/ESPN+ to help expand its demographic and increase the sports visibility. My hope is that this works and when the current ESPN deal expires they just move their content and PPVs back over to Fight Pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back