Does the UFC survive 100 years?

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
With the WBA (World Boxing Association) turning 100 years old next year, it had me wondering....

Does the UFC, as an organization, have what it takes to last 100 years? The organization was founded 27 years ago, will it last another 73 years?

If I had to gamble, I’d say yes it is. But, unionizing the sport could led to it’s downfall though.

hell no, fighters arent paid enough for it to last antoher 30 years even

With the WBA (World Boxing Association) turning 100 years old next year, it had me wondering....

Does the UFC, as an organization, have what it takes to last 100 years? The organization was founded 27 years ago, will it last another 73 years?

If I had to gamble, I’d say yes it is. But, unionizing the sport could led to it’s downfall though.
No, I honestly question the next 10 years

Nope. Unless they treat it like a sport and bring some value to title shots, contenders, fights and less WWE shit.

It will last a 1000 years..

ufc-wfd.jpg

Legends will be told of the pink goof and his nefarious business practices.

<31>

Last edited:
MMA survives 100 years. UFC as a brand far more doubtful. Bellator and ONE both have a real chance of supplanting it. Could easily see ONE as the top MMA brand in 100 years and Bellator is ran by a healthier parent company then the UFC is. Not saying it's going to happen but we're 25 years into the UFC the UFC brand isn't as solid as it seems.

Biggest challenge for the UFC is getting their very favorable Disney contract renewed which is far from guaranteed. If they can become an institution at ESPN there's a good chance they retain dominance throughout the 21st century. But that's going to be their biggest remaining hurdle cause if the ESPN connection is cut, they've crippled their PPV base for the Disney money which no longer will be coming in.

They also between a rock and a hard place where they cannot do monopolistic actions that made their product great cause of US antitrust laws and lawsuits. ONE over in Singapore isn't bound by US antitrust laws and it's not inconceivable if the tables turn ONE could go on the domination path the UFC did in the late 2000s. The NFL received an exemption from Congress to be a monopoly can Dana and his lobbyists get that through Congress? With Viacom as the number 2 competitior it's doubtful.

for the WBA to exist it really doesn't have to do that much. For the UFC to exist it has to do 1000x more than the WBA it's not really a similar situation.

Based on what? They just signed a contract with ESPN.
Yeah after Fox didn't want to renew their contract with them. Who's to say ESPN wants to renew theirs? On top of that, they still have investors to pay back, and fighter pay is going to have to increase and soon. They have that lawsuit going against them, that could go either way. And who knows how long their gate will be essentially non existent due to the virus. So many things are up in the air right now and the bigger MMA grows the more competition and pressure for fighters to unionize will increase. We'll see though, just saying lasting another 72 years is VERY unlikely imo

MMA survives 100 years. UFC as a brand far more doubtful. Bellator and ONE both have a real chance of supplanting it. Could easily see ONE as the top MMA brand in 100 years and Bellator is ran by a healthier parent company then the UFC is. Not saying it's going to happen but we're 25 years into the UFC the UFC brand isn't as solid as it seems.

Biggest challenge for the UFC is getting their very favorable Disney contract renewed which is far from guaranteed. If they can become an institution at ESPN there's a good chance they retain dominance throughout the 21st century. But that's going to be there biggest remaining hurdle cause if the ESPN connection is cut, they've crippled their PPV base for the Disney money which no longer will be coming in.
LOL same shit I said. It all depends on their ESPN contract, and with these ass cards I doubt ESPN sees the incentive to renew. Fox didn't renew for a reason

hopefully UFC dies and gives birth to mma organizations that actually care about entertainment and not making all their employees into reebok storm troopers.

Probably not with the softening of sports and CTE concerns.

I think we should be more concerned about civilization surviving another 73 year than the UFC.

Probably not with the softening of sports and CTE concerns.
I never understood this theory. CTE was known to be a thing in Boxing since the 1920's when it went by Dementia Pugilistica and has gone relatively unchanged.

I don't mean to be morbid, but nobody ever cared about CTE in boxers. It will take a Chris Benoit type of incident for the media to care.

It's already cleared like 27 years so it's a healthy way into that journey. So what kills off a business?

A bigger/better direct competitor, but there are none on the horizon right now, and it would take years to catch up if you started one today.

A regulatory issue like MMA becoming illegal, and this may be the most likely scenario. Some guy gets killed in the cage or something and some law gets passed that makes it illegal.

Consumer tastes just change that dramatically, but this just seems so unlikely. A hundred years ago men like boxing and some uptight women thought it was boorish and unchristian. Same thing different day.

Horrible mismanagement and or criminal conduct, this is always possible. Maybe WME in a few years decides to liquidate UFC to investors who really don't get the brand, management changes hands, someone has the idea of working fights, or trying to create a kinder gentler UFC, they flood the market with too much product, etc... Or maybe you just have a old school Pride FC style organized crime scandal.

Back