Is Tony vs. Khabib the biggest fight in combat sports history?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
This fight was already a big fight for hardcore and even casual MMA fans before this virus pandemic... but now... this seems to be the biggest single fight in combat sports history.

Think about it, ignore the fact that these are the two most highly skilled 155lbers on earth, have unprecedented winning streaks, and despite having been arranged to fight for 4 times in the past 5 years with the fight falling through.. both guys continued their win streaks and still find eachother paired up with one another

Now, add in the fact that we are living in a time where in the last 3 weeks society as we know it has changed and will be changed for a long, long time. Every major sport in the world is closed, you can't go to bars, eat inside restaurants, or do anything...

So what makes this fight big? Well, even aside from all the hype and rumors of this fight taking place amidst Covid-19 hysteria.... if this fight happens... literally the world will be watching.

SUMMARY (I know it was a long read):
Every sports media and publication will have to cover the fight (there is nothing else on), the general news media will have to talk about the fight, people who aren't even fans of MMA will watch the fight just because there is nothing else on. Many, many new fans will be brought into the sport.

That is why Dana White wants to deliver this fight... I wouldn't be surprised if the fight is free on ESPN. Dana White doesn't want to put on this fight just for the sake of keeping the LW division moving forward... Dana White and the UFC knows this is the perfect fight to deliver during a world crisis and can use it to bring MANY new fans into the sport and truly make UFC mainstream.

No, Khabib/Conor II is the biggest

Despite the fact that the world will literally watch Tony vs. Khabib due to this pandemic and nothing else being on, you still feel Khabib vs. Conor 2 when the world is stable is a bigger fight? I think if Khabib vs. Conor 2 happens in say 8 months from now... so much will be going on in the world and in sports that it will be background noise

Khabib molesting Conor was the biggest fight in UFC history

Tony is an overrated glass jawed fighter. Conor was a much harder fight fight and Khabib destroyed him

Tony needs mental help

Despite the fact that the world will literally watch Tony vs. Khabib, you still feel Khabib vs. Conor 2 when the world is stable is a bigger fight? I think if Khabib vs. Conor 2 happens in say 8 months from now... so much will be going on in the world and in sports that it will be background noise

Yeah without a doubt

Biggest in what? Quality of fight? Best of the best? Its up there . Fedor Cro Cop, DC Jones. Selling ? It won't be close to the biggest

LOL on so many levels.

They aren't even fighting, it seems.

MMA is still basically a niche sport in most of the world.

Every time someone uses the word "history" when talking about MMA I like to point out how young this sport it.

Not biggest, but Khabib needs to be tested against a guy like Tony.

Its got to be the biggest win in UFC history for whoever takes it

PAC v May did 4.6 million PPV buys. Good luck with that.

This fight was already a big fight for hardcore and even casual MMA fans before this virus pandemic... but now... this seems to be the biggest single fight in combat sports history.

Think about it, ignore the fact that these are the two most highly skilled 155lbers on earth, have unprecedented winning streaks, and despite having been arranged to fight for 4 times in the past 5 years with the fight falling through.. both guys continued their win streaks and still find eachother paired up with one another

Now, add in the fact that we are living in a time where in the last 3 weeks society as we know it has changed and will be changed for a long, long time. Every major sport in the world is closed, you can't go to bars, eat inside restaurants, or do anything...

So what makes this fight big? Well, even aside from all the hype and rumors of this fight taking place amidst Covid-19 hysteria.... if this fight happens... literally the world will be watching.

Every sports media and publication will have to cover the fight (there is nothing else on), the general news media will have to talk about the fight, people who aren't even fans of MMA will watch the fight just because there is nothing else on. Many, many new fans will be brought into the sport.

That is why Dana White wants to deliver this fight... I wouldn't be surprised if the fight is free on ESPN. Dana White doesn't want to put on this fight just for the sake of keeping the LW division moving forward... Dana White and the UFC knows this is the perfect fight to deliver during a world crisis and can use it to bring MANY new fans into the sport and truly make UFC mainstream.
In terms of competition KHABIB/TONY (CURSED) In terms of money KHABIB/CONOR II

Don't know about that. Debatable.

But it will certainly be the new #1 in the next few thousand "what is the best fight that never happened" threads.

If it does happen, it'll do less PPV than Conor/Cowboy. You think people give a shit enough to pay money for a UFC event at this time? Come on, you must live in a ridiculous bubble to think that.

Definitely not. Mayweather - Pacquiao was the biggest fight of recent times in terms of PPV, and GGG - Canelo was the biggest fight of recent times in terms of p4p.

Nothing that happens in MMA will ever be bigger than boxing.

giphy.gif

I'm 37. As far as hardcore combat fans go, yeah, this is right in the mix with Tyson/Holyfield and Mayweather/Pacquiao. Those are the two most wanted and hyped combat sports events in my lifetime. Tony/Khabib is by far the biggest one in MMA. Conor/Khabib would be a close second but what's at stake here dwarfs that one. This fight means everything if you're a martial arts fan. Whoever wins this fight is the greatest lightweight on Earth, in what might be the most stacked weight division in the history of professional fighting.

All of that being said, Tony isn't a name outside of the hardcores. This fight can change that but I wouldn't expect a million PPV buys unless it's a stacked undercard.

Back