Question for those who feel Gastelum should drop back down to 170lbs...

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
What makes you think he'll have any more success there???

The guy is a potential top 5-10 guy in both divisions. So yes he will be good no matter what. But I don't see him doing much better.

He has 3 losses at 185 so far. Aside from the devastating ass whipping he took from Adesanya, his other 2 losses were due in part to him being the smaller man but also in larger part to him losing, or being controlled in the grappling exchanges.

Gastelum is a striker and some people here probably overrate his grappling abilities a bit. I see the stronger wrestlers at 170 controlling him as well.

So what's next for Kelvin???
How do you see him matching up against Usman and the top 6 contenders at 170???

Kamaru Usman
Colby Covington
Jorge Masvidal
Leon ewdarse6
Damian Mya
Stephen Thompson

Last edited:
He’s a manlet.

Just look at him next to the NATTY GOAT:

He's about the right height for 155. Taking into account his frame 170 should be about as high as he goes. Ideally... of course if you can never make the weight then you have no choice but I don't think he gains any kind of advantage from moving up to 185.

I like Kelvin but what's next for him is the dollar menu at Taco Bell

He refuses to stay in shape between fights and you can't lean on your corner man every time you weigh in. He could challenge for the title at 170 but would rather eat garbage.

The problem is on him for not taking his diet seriously. He could be a world beater at 170 if he's diligent.

Grappling is the most unfavorable situation to be outsized in. The guy can fucking crack and is no slouch as a grappler. If Weidman didn't outweigh him by 15-20 lbs in their fight it might have gone a lot differently. He's talented enough that he can find plenty of success at MW but if he took his nutrition seriously his best chance for a title is 170.

I think he he's a top five guy at middleweight who can potentially beat anybody in that weightclass.
I agree with @Sakurabaism though, i'm fairly certain that if he'd make weight for 170 while not draining himself, he'd tear the guys at welterweight new ones.

Height, reach, range.. he might be 205 pounds like most in the MW division but he carries the most fat plus the other guys are just naturally bigger and stronger then him.

Did you not see how much he was overextending vs Izzy.. that short frame with his smaller arms were loosing steam reaching that tall MW, that can't be his optimal weight and division.

But he gets better quality of life, better moral dude clearly likes to eat and enjoys his faster hand speed while still carrying the power in the upper weight class. He is the Roy Nelson of the WW/MW guys that can do it at the upper division but if they took their careers seriously and had discipline they would most likely be in the lower weight classes.

If Weidman didn't outweigh him by 15-20 lbs in their fight it might have gone a lot differently.

Lol.. okay use a bit of logic.

Why do you think KG can't make WW what weight do you think he comes in.. lower then 200 ? that is WW range so nope at least 200 if not 205... now add the 15-20 pounds you mention you think Weidman comes in at 225 that is LHW weight.. the heck makes 0 sense the largest recorded MW we have was a young full muscled Costa at 213.8 and that is the outlier the max for that division and a young guy he won't sustain that for his entire career.

KG around 200~205
Weidman around 205~210
Difference is one put in the work and discipline while the other didn't and carries extra fat clearly.

He was gun shy against Till after the beating Izzy gave him. That won't get it done against tall MWs. He has to be hyper aggressive to deal with taller men.

I only support him dropping back down if he can dedicate himself. Not sure if he can though.

He’s more likely to move up to 205 than move back down to 170.

Gastelum vs Hendricks fighting at open weight in BKFC is the fight the fans want.

He was gun shy against Till after the beating Izzy gave him. That won't get it done against tall MWs. He has to be hyper aggressive to deal with taller men.
Yes that was definitely the worst beating that he's taken this far. I'm sure he still had some PTSD.

Back