Do you like Israel Adesanya?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will always give credit where it is due, Adesanya is skillful and had an excellent win against Whittaker. However, he comes across as a cocky/immature (he's 30, I thought he was 20) and a bit doucheish. Not sure if he's trying to be entertaining, play the heel, or what. I think his fight against Romero will be exciting and will not disappoint.

I actually don't understand any of the hate for him at all.

Then again, I don't care about anything other than the fact that he can fight.

I think he is a very exciting fighter and will always watch him fight

He's not one of my favorite fighters, but I like him. I'm not a fan of the theatrics, but I enjoy his fights and he's interesting when he gives serious interviews. I couldn't care less about all the trash talk and bravado, though, but I tend to focus on the positives.

Yeah how could you not? He's very active and willing to fight the best guys.

Some of the stuff he says feels forced and thus cringey. Other than that this is a brutal ass sport where being cocky is a necessary evil (if implemented in the right places obv.). His fights however are fun to watch and he is clearly skilled so I like him more than I dislike him. I sure won't sit through an hour long interview of his tho.

He's not one of my favorite fighters, but I like him. I'm not a fan of the theatrics, but I enjoy his fights and he's interesting when he gives serious interviews. I couldn't care less about all the trash talk and bravado, though, but I tend to focus on the positives.

Truth be told a lot of what fans enjoy is the theatrics. Even if you wanna see a fight because you want a fighter to get owned, you're seeing the fight. Colby was playing off of that too.

He's one of the best strikers in the UFC, very active fighter, always wants to fight the best competition, super entertaining.

Yeah, I like him. I don't know if I'd wanna be friends with him but I'm not out here looking for friend candidates when it comes to watching MMA.

Israel Adesanya is BY FAR my most favorite fighter that has ever stepped foot in the Octogan. Admittedly, I am somewhat bias begin African myself. I can tell you right now he is superstar in Nigeria and his popularity is growing all across the African community.

A lot of people give Izzy crap for being cocky but I think many of those people don't understand his culture. In Nigerian culture, people are taught to be boastful and grandiose but it is not seen as arrogance rather it is perceived as celebration of one's accomplishments. And these celebrations in turn are supposed to set example for others to work hard achieve themselves. For people unfamiliar with this, often misinterpret this arrogance or narcissicism.

Truth be told a lot of what fans enjoy is the theatrics. Even if you wanna see a fight because you want a fighter to get owned, you're seeing the fight. Colby was playing off of that too.

Yeah, I agree. A lot of fans are like that. I'm more so interested in this sport from the sports and martial arts perspective though. I just want to see the best fighters fight each other and I like to see skillsets vs different types of skillsets. Most of all, I like watching a fighters skillset grow and evolve. That's what I watch MMA for. The other stuff is largely moot for me.

I don't dislike him but he's kind of annoying. The only things he's done that i've legitimately not liked was the twin tower comments and when he disrespected Barbozas stand up skills before he demolished his training partner Dan Hooker

I think I’ve figured out what makes Adesanya’s personality so off-putting.
He is obliged to come across as straight-acting, and that doesn’t come naturally to him. So he seems unreal and insincere.

I used to think Adesanya didn’t have a soul. Then I saw him in the UFC Auckland audience, reacting with genuine emotion to the fights. All of a sudden, he had his soul back. Unfortunately, the world isn’t ready for an effeminate champ.

I like his fighting style. The man himself? Not so much.

Back