Khabib is not a wrestler stop labeling!!

Serbinator85

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
khabib is not a wrestler and its total injustice calling him one. He is a combat Sambo champion and master. He wrestled as a kid, but since he was 12 years old all he did was combat Sambo which is essentially MMA, but focuses a lot on judo throws foot sweeps and submissions, and folkstyle wrestling,and GNP , he has had over 200 amateur fights before going pro. Khabib also has a black belt in judo, KHABIB HAS said many times he is NOT a fan of free style wrestling. How many college and Olympic wrestlers are great at Jiu jitsu? All of them usually stink.(Renzo Gracie has said Khabib has absolutely amazing BJJ. This all because of Sambo not because of wrestling ) How many of them are great at controlling an opponent on the ground? Yoel Romero or Tripple C both lack control and submission skills, and GNP. Same is true for snoozman and colby and all other American ncaa wrestlers

Don't tell me what to do. He is also a great boxer, and a fantastic swimmer.

khabib is not a wrestler and its total injustice calling him one. He is a combat Sambo champion and master. He wrestled as a kid, but since he was 12 years old all he did was combat Sambo which is essentially MMA, but focuses a lot on judo throws foot sweeps and submissions, and folkstyle wrestling,and GNP , he has had over 200 amateur fights before going pro. Khabib also has a black belt in judo, KHABIB HAS said many times he is NOT a fan of free style wrestling. How many college and Olympic wrestlers are great at Jiu jitsu? All of them usually stink.(Renzo Gracie has said Khabib has absolutely amazing BJJ. This all because of Sambo not because of wrestling ) How many of them are great at controlling an opponent on the ground? Yoel Romero or Tripple C both lack control and submission skills, and GNP. Same is true for snoozman and colby and all other American ncaa wrestlers
<mma4>

Fair points TS
But Khabib does use wrestling in his game but I get your point

Combat Sambo Bless
Khabib Bless

618809-29f18f5a26ab8949f4357f14fcf4a2cd.png

Exactly his base mirrors more of a BJJ guy then a wrestler.

A victim of the misconception that takedowns + top control = wrestler.

A guy like Colby is actually a traditional wrestler. Very little GNP and sub attempts, his plan is to continually take your base away and keep you in the disadvantageous position.

Believe it or not there's other martial arts that teach takedowns.

he has a wrestling style because he's mostly focused on wrestling. trains with wrestlers, brags about his chain wrestling. he has incredible grappling skills because of various arts, but his base is wrestling.

True BUT he does train at AKA, one of his head coaches is DC, on those youtube vids they wrestle like 90% of the time so you can see how and why people would perceive him as a wrestler.

Well that and the fact that he wrestles a lot.

Total fail... you did not mention his chess skills and/or his dance moves

No joke, I'd love to see Khabibi break out an MC Haji break dance after working Tony over... mind you, I still can't see that fight actually happening. Still, the mental image in my head right now is absolutely hilarious.

No joke, I'd love to see Khabibi break out an MC Haji break dance after working Tony over... mind you, I still can't see that fight actually happening. Still, the mental image in my head right now is absolutely hilarious.
I reckon that if a fight is close (Reyes/Jones, Felder/Hooker) lets them go into a sudden death mode - a super round of dancing and/or rap battle

Back